Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL Network reporting Campbell may start (sort of)

Avic

"Jason Campbell taking all the first-team reps in practice this week seemed relatively harmless given that Mark Brunell is banged up and the Redskins are on their bye. However, the NFL Network's Adam Schefter reported Thursday that the team may be using Brunell's injury and the week off as an opportunity to prepare Campbell to take over the starting job as soon as Week 9."

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/features/column.aspx?sport=NFL&columnid=77&articleid=26380

I feel bad for all of you - so many of you are at the point of worshipping Campbell that I feel he's going to let you all down. And then what? Oldest team in the league, no young players at other positions coming up, no draft, salary cap.......it's like he's Obi One Canobi. "help me Obi-One you're my only hope".

I feel bad for all of you - so many of you are at the point of worshipping Campbell that I feel he's going to let you all down. And then what? Oldest team in the league, no young players at other positions coming up, no draft, salary cap.......it's like he's Obi One Canobi. "help me Obi-One you're my only hope".

Once Brunell is gone our average will we be a bit younger considering that he is 237 years old. I still think that we're a relatively young team with some old depth other than grampa brunell.

Little different angle on all this.

http://redskins.scout.com/2/584361.html

Looking forward to next Sundayā€™s game against Dallas, there is a little bit of smoke hanging out there, some haze that is keeping the view of that game from becoming clear. That smoke is being created by some talk, coming almost exclusively in the national media, that Jason Campbell will start that game at quarterback for the Redskins rather than Mark Brunell.

Here is a report typical of what weā€™ve been hearing. This is from Adam Schefter on the NFL Network on Thursday (at least I think it was Thursdayā€™s edition of NFL Total Access; they repeat it so many times that they all tend to run together):

It certainly looks that way. Jason Campbell took all the snaps this week with the first team offense. Now, granted, Mark Brunell does have a rib injury and the Redskins are on a bye week, so it was a good time to get the young Campbell some work with the first team. Now, thereā€™s a climate in which young quarterbacks are starting all around the league--Tony Romo sits to pee in Dallas, Seneca Wallace in Seattle, Matt Leinart in Arizona, Vince Young in Tennessee--and it looks like the Redskins could be thinking the same thing. It could be, a week from this Sunday, Romo sits to pee vs. Campbell.

Now, the first part of the report has been verified. Campbell did take all of the first-team work in the Redskinsā€™ two practices before they took their extended, four-day weekend due to the bye. According to the team, Brunell suffered a rib injury against the Colts and that is why Campbell got the work.

It is after that, however, that Schefter strays from verified fact into what appears to be conjecture. He does not cite a source, named or unnamed, that says that Campbell will start on Sunday. It appears that he is reading tea leaves composed of Campbellā€™s practice snaps a

No one expects campbell to save us. Sad thing is, a number of people on this board could probably do a better job as GM of this team than Gibbs/Snyder/Cerrato. We understand that the future of this team is important, and we understand that Brunell is not the future. We understand that to have a winning season next year, or the year after, Campbell will have to be ready to play. We understand that in order to get him ready, he has to play as much as possible. No one expects him to save this season. We think he might be more productive than Brunell, but we're equally happy to watch him suck for 10 weeks, because at least it would be productive down the line. I'm sorry you are confused by this.

It could be a good way for Gibbs and Brunell to part ways..Brunell goes down with injury, Campbell gets start and never looks back. Brunell doesn't look bad and Gibbs doesn't look bad. Both save face. It sorta reminds me of Arenas on the US team. His injury wasn't bad but it was a cop out to getting cut, even though Arenas is 20 times the player Brunell is in his respective sport.

After I saw Brunell play in the 4th quarter of the Colts game, I thought Gibbs was planning a "Vince Young" trick-em-up which included the local media.

Gibbs hates the Cowboys and Bill Parcells, that much. So do I.

God I hope so.

While others might, I know I expect little out of Campbell.

While we are old at many positions, our RB is one of the youngest starters in the NFL (Just turned 25 2 months ago)

Sean Taylor turned 23 3 months ago.

Rocky is young, Carlos is 25, B-Lloyd is 24, Randle El is 27 and Moss is 27. Cooley is 24

Our Oline is older, but still youngish for Olineman, plenty of time to draft 2 years from now for the replacement lineman, who shouldn't be needed for another 3 to 4 years.

Its doable.

Little different angle on all this.

http://redskins.scout.com/2/584361.html

It is after that, however, that Schefter strays from verified fact into what appears to be conjecture. He does not cite a source, named or unnamed, that says that Campbell will start on Sunday. It appears that he is reading tea leaves composed of Campbellā€™s practice snaps a

ding ding ding

Archived