Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Saints Offense Puts Lie to Redskins 'Transition' Problems

bulldog

Dude the Redskins suck, plain and simple.

Gibbs had things working but then he brought in Saunders and probably had the worst free agent pull since 2000.

The team is trying to turn a power offensive line into the Rams 1999-2001 line when they had Warner throwing darts .5 seconds after the snap.

They traded away 75% of their draft picks on a QB that they don't want to play, a WR that our QB can't get the ball to, a RB that is being out performed by the afterthought draft pick thrown into the Bailey deal, a QB that was 99% done before Jacksonville drafted Leftwich.

From Gibbs first 2 drafts we have more players on the practice squad or gone from the league than we have on the active roster, and that says a lot considering our depth.

Our big free agent additions were bad choices. Carter hasn't done anything since his rookie season, Archuleta is a situational player making Defensive Player of the Year money.

Lloyd is good but why do we need Lloyd, Randel El, and Patten to complement Moss?

You saw who scored the TD for us in the game, the afterthought Thrash. Why do we need 3 high paid secondary receivers anyway when we don't have a single worthwhile backup on both the Offensive and defensive lines?

Duckett?

Holdman still starts games?

Need I say more?

We could ask Darrell Green to come back right now at the age of 45? and get much better play in the defensive backfield.

We've beaten Jax and got upset by the Titans. I don't think the Jets are as happy with moral victories as you are. If you factor in the teams we have played with the teams they played, we'd have the same record. The Jets are big pretenders. I say that not as a Redskins fan but as a football fan. Just because we got upset by the Titans doesn't make a win over them impressive. Beating them, Detroit, Buffalo, and Miami are not impressive at all. I already said that I think the Saints are for real. The Jets? Pshh.

You can argue 'strength of schedule' all you want - look at the state of the NFL this year, its beyond topsy-turvy. 'Any given Sunday' is alive and well my friend. The Jets are winning, and they're doing it with a novice NFL Head Coach, and without Curtis Martin.

Theres no logical argument for their record right now. They're winning on heart and attitude alone.

I don't believe we'd beat the Jets right now. I don't even think it would be close.

Who, the Saints? Yeah, they have it. They are probably for real. Not the Jets. We would probably have a good record if we had the Jets schedule. I don't think we'd be as mentally defeated, at least.

cmon gimme a break we lost to the titans at home

According to NFL.com we are 13th in offense in the league. That is in the top half, so how is that considered brutal? What I think it shows along w/ Brunell's QB rating which is pretty good, and we all know how bad he's been, is that if we had a good QB we have a ton of weapons and would be a really good offense. If we signed Brees I bet we would have a top 5 offense. The players are there but the QB isn't. I think Lloyd and ARE are really good players but they are down the field receivers and MB can't get it there. We don't have big WR, we went the route of small and fast which is fine if you have a QB who's skills are suited to going downfield. Remember MB came from a WC offense and that is what he was best at. That features big physical receivers that run shorter routes and go for YAC. We have the opposite.

You can argue 'strength of schedule' all you want - look at the state of the NFL this year, its beyond topsy-turvy. 'Any given Sunday' is alive and well my friend. The Jets are winning, and they're doing it with a novice NFL Head Coach, and without Curtis Martin.

Theres no logical argument for their record right now. They're winning on heart and attitude alone.

Topsy-turvy?

DUDE.

Their wins are against Tennessee, Buffalo, Miami, and Detroit. All have losing records. All look to be going nowhere. You can talk about resurgent teams all you want, but those 4 are not impressive wins. The Jets aren't winning off emotion. They've been playing clowns.

And I realize we lost to one of them. Doesn't make them not bad.

Topsy-turvy?

DUDE.

Their wins are against Tennessee, Buffalo, Miami, and Detroit. All have losing records. All look to be going nowhere. You can talk about resurgent teams all you want, but those 4 are not impressive wins. The Jets aren't winning off emotion. They are playing clowns.

And I realize we lost to one of them. Doesn't make them not bad.

No one's making the point that the Jets are a juggernaut and playoff bound. The salient point is that they've had far greater challenges in terms of a transition than anything the Redskins have had to adjust too, and are winning. Other than getting spanked by the Jags, they were very close to being 6-1. They damn near beat both the Colts and the Patriots.

No one's making the point that the Jets are a juggernaut and playoff bound. The salient point is that they've had far greater challenges in terms of a transition than anything the Redskins have had to adjust too, and are winning. Other than getting spanked by the Jags, they were very close to being 6-1. They damn near beat both the Colts and the Patriots.

1. Moral victories don't count in the record.

2. The Skins would have a good record if we had their schedule.

3. The Jets are a bad example for what you're saying, as I don't think they are for real.

BTW, I'm going to go watch the Pukes and the Gints play now. Don't expect a reply for a while.

I think its hilarious you guys not giving Penny all the credit.

Ask yourself... what's changed?

And all of you calling him noodle arm/etc... you guys ever actually watch him play? Serious question. Penny sees the plays happen before anyone else does. He is always a step ahead of the defense. The receivers come out of their breaks and the ball is right there waiting for them. He makes very smart decisions with the football, and he can pick apart NFL defenses. He has proven it time and time again.

And you guys come back with "limp arm QB"? Seriously you can do better.

I remember another QB they said had a weak arm... his stock fell in the draft because of it. They said he couldn't make the throws... yet for his entire NFL career, that's all he did. But his passes never had zip on them... yet nobody made those comments when he was winning Superbowls with the 49ers.

But I guess Ramsey has a rocket arm, so he's a better QB right? :rolleyes:

I'll take a noodle-armed gamer over a rocket armed loser any day of the week.

You guys want to know why the Jets are winning... it's Penny. They played with heart and determination last year too... the only difference to this year is Chad.

The Jets were horrible last year.

Now the Redskins were 10-6 last year.

Imagine if we added none of these new guys. Lost Daniels or Griffen to free agency. Had Portis out for the year and Betts was the #1 back now in addition to having a new Head Coach and system.

Thats what the Jets have overcome and still won. The Redskins just lose and any excuse is good enough for us to lose games.

A Gibbs team from the 80's would be 5-2 or 6-1 right now.

This team just sucks in all facets of the game.

Absolutely right. If we had Pennington this year, we'd be 4-3 at WORST. Probably 5-2.

absolutely 1000% correct.

The refusal of 99% of Redskins fans to acknowledge the importance of the QB in today's NFL is baffling to me.

Next thing you know, somebody is going to come in here and pull the 2000 Ravens out of their ass :rolleyes: "See zoony! You can do it without a QB!"

Well you can also walk to California from New York, but flying is much easier, and much more practical. So leave those comparisons at home fellas.

let's take each of these in turn:

1. Drew Brees is a quarterback that can throw the football. He came off a Chargers team that won 11 and 10 games the past 2 years. He has playoff experience and is only 27 years old. he can make the throws that Al Saunders would love to see a Redskins quarterback make.

Well it depends on the type of throws your talking about He has been pretty weak on deep balls (but so far they have thrown very few of them). But on intermediate-short routes he is golden.

2. The Saints staff has been adaptable to the talent. Reggie Bush is a rookie. The Saint's leading receiver, Marques Colston, was a rookie taken in the 6th round of the draft

Minor nitpick: Colston was a 7th rounder (3rd to last player taken in the draft

. Deuce McAllister is coming back from a major injury. Somehow the offensive coaches have been able to get the rookies ready to play while still keeping the veterans involved and contributing. We don't see stacks of penalty flags for illegal motion and movement every week.

Yup. Biggest difference from last year to this year. False starts, illegal motions, etc. are almost non-existent. Very few holding calls. If you take a stupid penalty, you get massive toungue lashing from Payton on the sideliens(and sometimes a little shove love too)

Though I believe that the OL cannot take the entire credit for the low sack #'s. I think the coaching staff has basically told Brees they would rather he throw the ball away, even risking an interception, than risk a sack, given his injuries they are being very careful. He gets the ball out pretty quick and rarely stays in the pocket for very long

3. Watching the Saints play against the Falcons and Eagles, it is clear the team is on a mission in 2006 due to Katrina, much as the 1991 Lions were after Mike Utley became paralyzed after injuring his neck in an early season game. BUT, Brees is hungry because he wants to show the Chargers they made a mistake. Bush and Colston are rookies looking to make their mark in the league. McAllister and Horn are solid pros with leadership qualities.

Deuce and Horn are real warriors. Horn is a bit of a showboat but not in a way that is disruptive to his own team (he's gone on record saying he'd block every down if thats what it took to win). I think Bush can learn alot from playing with McAllister.

On that 2nd TD that Horn scored against the Eagles probably happened becaus of Horn. While the Eagles were on the field on offense, Horn came up to Payton and they started looking at film with Brees. Horn suspected that Lewis was going to jump the curl route again, so they designed a play where Brees would pump fake and then Horn would go deep. Thats the advantage of having some vet leadership at positions like that.

The Saints picked up a number of these players in the secondary free agency market for bargain dollars. There are no superstar draft picks or FA acquisitions here. There is no 3-time pro bowler like Chris Samuels.

Jammal Brown(starting LT) was taken 14th overall in 2004 (the first tackle taken). But otherwise you're right. Stinchomb(RT) was a 2nd rounder. Jahri Evans (RG) and 4th rounder. The FO was pretty crafty in picking up Faine (1st rounder, but was nagged by injuries) for a swap of 2nd round picks.

You really have to like the job of housecleaning that Payton did from the start of the season. He made the minicamps hard to see who really wanted to play. It got bad enough that there were grieveances filed with the players union. But he found out who really wanted to play football, and former Pro Bowlers like Gandy and Holland got beat out by guys that wanted it more. He had the guts to cut or trade guys with legit talent like Gandy, Stallworth and Dwight Smith, because they were either bums(Gandy, J. Sullivan), had questionable work ethic(Stallworth), or questionable character(D. Smith). He also pretty much blew up the linebacker core, and the teams leading tackler last year didn't even make the roster(Colby Buckwoldt), besides Fujita he picked up throwaways (Scott Shanle, Danny Clark, mark Simoneau). Probably the best defensive acquisition though has been Hollis Thomas, which the Eagles practically gave us (swap of 4th round picks).

1. Moral victories don't count in the record.

2. The Skins would have a good record if we had their schedule.

3. The Jets are a bad example for what you're saying, as I don't think they are for real.

BTW, I'm going to go watch the Pukes and the Gints play now. Don't expect a reply for a while.

Wow Sunburn, were it not for Loudmouth's vote of confidence for Brunell, you'd have won the dumbest post of the week award with that one.

Look, you can put the Jest down if you want to. However, what do you think our record would be against those teams? Well, let me break it down for you.

We lost to the Dolts and the Titans already so that's two down right off the bat. Kitna has done a good job with the Lions offense after a bad start and would probably torch our awful secondary. Miami has a really tough defense that would hold our offense to 10 points or less and Buffalo can be tough defensively as well. Most likely, we'd only be able to get one win against the "sorry" teams the Jest have beaten...maybe.

Poo pooing the accomplishments of other teams is an easy thing to do...when you don't look very hard at what the Skins are capable of. Right now, we suck, much more than the Jest do. A LOT more than the Jest do. They've got a real NFL QB while we're stuck with a guy a lot of HS coaches would send home. You do the math.

Oh, I almost forgot the obvious. No, we wouldn't beat the Jest straight up either. ;) At least not with Scott at the helm anyway.

I've said it time and time again: Jansen and Samuels live off of their reputation and are just as inconsistent as Brunell. The Saints lineman are hungry and aggressive. It's like Jansen and Samuels think lineman are going to lay down and play dead because they are the almighty Jansen and Samuels. This will not stop until our idiots in the front office stop overpaying these over achieving players. How many players on the Saints are the highest paid at their position? I cant believe I hate how the Yankees operate but now I am seeing my beloved football team being run into the ground with the same principles.

First of all, no one should be dissing the Jets. Unlike us, they've beaten the teams they were suppose to beat. The bad teams. Unlike us, who've been upset by Minnesota AND Tennessee. We could be 4-3 instead of 2-5, but our team has very little chemistry and the blame for that has to go mostly on the coaching staff and front office.

The Saints made FA moves that actually made sense, and those moves have been positives on the field. We made moves for no apparent reason. Getting a new SS wasn't important, nor necessary, when we needed quality depth and better starters along both lines. They could've re-signed Clark for cheaper, and got better production. Yet we go after a name player, who didn't fit this scheme at all. Please don't tell me Gregg asked for this guy, I'd like to give him more credit than that.

Andre Carter has been nothing but a big disappointment...to us. The rest of the league already knew he was a bum. Meanwhile, the Eagles pick up ANOTHER monster DE in Darren Howard right behind our backs. For all of Snyder's free spending ways, you think he could wheel and deal his way to getting to some quality talent...and not fools' gold.

Wow Sunburn, were it not for Loudmouth's vote of confidence for Brunell, you'd have won the dumbest post of the week award with that one.

Look, you can put the Jest down if you want to. However, what do you think our record would be against those teams? Well, let me break it down for you.

We lost to the Dolts and the Titans already so that's two down right off the bat. Kitna has done a good job with the Lions offense after a bad start and would probably torch our awful secondary. Miami has a really tough defense that would hold our offense to 10 points or less and Buffalo can be tough defensively as well. Most likely, we'd only be able to get one win against the "sorry" teams the Jest have beaten...maybe.

Poo pooing the accomplishments of other teams is an easy thing to do...when you don't look very hard at what the Skins are capable of. Right now, we suck, much more than the Jest do. A LOT more than the Jest do. They've got a real NFL QB while we're stuck with a guy a lot of HS coaches would send home. You do the math.

Oh, I almost forgot the obvious. No, we wouldn't beat the Jest straight up either. ;) At least not with Scott at the helm anyway.

Miami has no passing game. We have a great run defense (or at least I still think so). Uh oh. Skins W.

Buffalo has J.P. Loseman, who just might be the worst starting QB in the NFL right now. Skins W.

Detroit is the Michigan State of the NFL. They'd have a lead over us until the 4th Quarter when Lucy pulls the ball away from Charlie Brown yet again.

Titans beat us. We beat JAX who beat the Jets.

Pennington is just like Drew Brees, only weaker and more injury prone. We could beat the Jets. They have no real RB threat to speak of that we'd have to respect, and no, one good game from 1 guy I can't remember doesn't mean we have to respect him. We don't have to worry about the deep ball, we can do to the Jets what defenses have been doing to Brunell lately.

Also, I don't appreciate your calling my post the "the dumbest post of the week". There's sarcasm and hyperbole and then there's classless insults.

First of all, no one should be dissing the Jets. Unlike us, they've beaten the teams they were suppose to beat. The bad teams. Unlike us, who've been upset by Minnesota AND Tennessee. We could be 4-3 instead of 2-5, but our team has very little chemistry and the blame for that has to go mostly on the coaching staff and front office.

The Saints made FA moves that actually made sense, and those moves have been positives on the field. We made moves for no apparent reason. Getting a new SS wasn't important, nor necessary, when we needed quality depth and better starters along both lines. They could've re-signed Clark for cheaper, and got better production. Yet we go after a name player, who didn't fit this scheme at all. Please don't tell me Gregg asked for this guy, I'd like to give him more credit than that.

Andre Carter has been nothing but a big disappointment...to us. The rest of the league already knew he was a bum. Meanwhile, the Eagles pick up ANOTHER monster DE in Darren Howard right behind our backs. For all of Snyder's free spending ways, you think he could wheel and deal his way to getting to some quality talent...and not fools' gold.

Other than our high expectations for this year, why is there shame in losing to the Vikings? The Vikings are a respectable team.

Miami has no passing game. We have a great run defense (or at least I still think so). Uh oh. Skins W.

Buffalo has J.P. Loseman, who just might be the worst starting QB in the NFL right now. Skins W.

Detroit is the Michigan State of the NFL. They'd have a lead over us until the 4th Quarter when Lucy pulls the ball away from Charlie Brown yet again.

Titans beat us. We beat JAX who beat the Jets.

Pennington is just like Drew Brees, only weaker and more injury prone. We could beat the Jets. They have no real RB threat to speak of that we'd have to respect, and no, one good game from 1 guy I can't remember doesn't mean we have to respect him. We don't have to worry about the deep ball, we can do to the Jets what defenses have been doing to Brunell lately.

buffalo has a running game and defense that would not allow us to operate.. detriot wrs would kill us and they got kevin jones. they have been in every game.. we beat the jags who beat the jets? who cares? want to apply that logic!! the texans beat the jags and we beat the jags.. are we equal to the texans? ok

the jets have been a great story.. cotchery and coles are have been terrifc this year

Also, I don't appreciate your calling my post the "the dumbest post of the week". There's sarcasm and hyperbole and then there's classless insults.

You shouldn't lose at home to an average team on opening night. On the road' date=' that's an acceptable loss. At home, it's bad.

The loss to the Titans at home is a disgrace.[/quote']

Average? Hmm. Vikings have been playing pretty well to me. I mean, you could say they've got lucky because they've gotten a lot of fumbles, but you can't argue with shalacking the Seahawks.

Losing the Titans is unforgivable, I agree, but upsets happen.

Average? Hmm. Vikings have been playing pretty well to me. I mean, you could say they've got lucky because they've gotten a lot of fumbles, but you can't argue with shalacking the Seahawks.

Losing the Titans is unforgivable, I agree, but upsets happen.

i think there was up before hasselback got injuired.. and there playing without alexander.

like parcells once said, you are what your record is..

Archived