Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Final Fantasy Games

WVUforREDSKINS

As for Final Fantasy XII, I have only played it a couple of hours so I can't say how I will end up feeling about it. So far the story to the game is stellar. The battle system take some getting used to. For anyone that dislikes the battle system, here are a few types. Go to the Config menu and turn the battle speed to maximum and switch it from Wait to Active. It makes the battles flow more smoothly.

Thanks for the tip. I tried it last night, it did make the battle flow a little better. I'm just stubborn and would rather play a turn based RPG. It's either up to me to adapt or not play the game. Right now I'm leaning towards the latter.....

Hmmm... interesting to see what everyone else likes. I used to be a huge Final Fantasy fan but I'm not as big a fan as I used to be.

My Top 3

Final Fantasy IV-The characters were the most memorable to me and beat that game more times than I can remeber.

Final Fantasy X-This is the game that got me to really like the series again. The story was something new and very interesting. I liked the battle system.

Final Fantasy VI-Awesome games, great characters. It sorta of tailed off at the end. If the World Ruin part of the game was a good as the World of Balance it would probably be my favorite.

My bottom 3

Final Fantasy VII-The most disappointed FF game I ever played. The battle system was dumbed down. The story was full of holes. Outside of their limit breaks, characters had no individuality when it came to battle.

Final Fantasy VIII-By far the worse game in the series in my opinion, it is the only game in the series that I just put down after a few hours in pure disgust.

Final Fantasy X-2-I hate this game with a passion. It took the characters from one of my favorite games in the series and ruined them. The gameplay was excellent but it couldn't offset horrible story. Was this supposed to be a Charlies Angel RPG? 50 hours of gameplay and you still never find out what happened to Tidus. How Square-Enix could let this game get published is beyond me.

As for Final Fantasy XII, I have only played it a couple of hours so I can't say how I will end up feeling about it. So far the story to the game is stellar. The battle system take some getting used to. For anyone that dislikes the battle system, here are a few types. Go to the Config menu and turn the battle speed to maximum and switch it from Wait to Active. It makes the battles flow more smoothly.

Wow, another person that didn't care for final fantasy VII. Never thought I would that. It dissapointed me too. I am playing VIII right now and I like it so far.

• 3 weeks later...

So I beat 7 recently and am on disc 1 of FF8. I must say that I like the Graphics. The story so far is kinda interesting with the SeeD. The characters seem WEAK so far hoping that picks up. Squall is a Douche so far. The Junction system is kinda strange...not sure how I feel about that yet.

Anyway I plan on gettin FF12 soon. Can I get some feedback on it. All i know is that it is hard. Well, that is what I have heard.

I want a game to waste a crap load of time on during winter break... thinking Tales of the Abyss (I thought Tales of Symphonia was pretty good), Xenosaga III (II sucked ass), or FFXII. Has anyone played 2 or all of these to give a comparison? Any other suggestions for rpgs?

EDIT: I have like Star Ocean: till the end of time, and Xenogears most of all. I compare Xenogears to the older generation of games and Star Ocean to the newer ones. Great stories, big worlds, battles that aren't annoying or random. FFX and X-2 were the only FF that I have finished since VII. I never bothered finishing VIII or IX. IX was just too boring and VIII was just too god damn long and the story didn't make sense.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm about 90+ into XII and the story isn't as good as some of the other Final fantasy games, but it's entertaining. The thing that keeps me playing this game is the new battle system. Although I'm a huge fan of RPG's the one thing that kept me from spending a ton of time with then (at least in the optical disk RPG era) is the loading for battles. The new system is either a hit or a miss with most because the common complaint I've heard is that they like to micromange and control everything their characters do. When you get deep into the game, you'll actually be able to do so with the Gambit system.

FFX has the better story but FFXII's gameplay blows FFX away IMO.

As an RPG purist who enjoys turn-based battle systems, I didn't even get through the obligatory training portion of the FFXII before turning it off and going back to Guitar Hero.

Yeah if you're a fan of turn based RPGs, you'll want Blue Dragon when that hits for 360 sometime next year.

As an RPG purist who enjoys turn-based battle systems, I didn't even get through the obligatory training portion of the FFXII before turning it off and going back to Guitar Hero.

I did this too, only best Buy wouldnt let me return it (because it was open).

Maybe I'll try again after Xmas....

• 2 months later...

I checked out FFXII. Didn't really seem like a game I'd like, was like a one player MMOG. Plus my PS2 is struggggglin anyway so I'd have to buy another one if I wanted to play it.

Don't see too much love for VIII. I liked it much better then both VII and IX. Really the first FF game where conventional levelling up to get stronger was negated.

I got a question for all of you die hard FFVII people out there.

Have you played FFVII: Dirge of Cerbeus? If so how is it? I am considering getting it because I just finished 7 recently.

My younger brother rented it once and I played through a good portion of it. I thought it was a pretty entertaining game. The storyline obviously wasn't as in depth as VII's, but from what I remember it was pretty fluent. The graphics are very nice and a lot of the dialogue is voice acting, with the voices being the same from the actors of FF: Advent Children. I think you'd like it if you gave it a shot.

P.S.- You haven't really finished VII till you beat Emerald and Ruby weapon. :silly: I beat them :cool:

I have FFV, VI, Chrono Trigger, and many others on my SNES emulator. You don't lose anything playing them either, I use a controller though that I plug in via USB, gotta have the controller when playin RPG's:cool:

I still have my SNES with all the FF games. I also have Chrono Trigger for it too. But I have to say, I love my emulators. I have a controller too. I have an emulator for NES, SNES, and Game Boy.

I love being about to hit F5 and save my game anywhere I'm at. You can be in the middle of a jump and save. Then you can hit F7 to reload your save. So if you come to a place where you have to make a difficult jump, hit F5. If you fall, just hit F7 and try the jump again. This allowed me to beat games that I found impossible to beat back in the day. I played Super Ghouls N' Ghost and went through all of the levels and beat the game because of the emulator. I had Ghouls N Ghost on SNES and was very disappointed with the difficulty of the game. I couldn't ever get past level 2. It was great being able to play it all the way through on the emulator because the music and levels are cool. Same goes with Ghost N Goblins on NES. I beat it all the way through on the emulator.

FF7 is the only one I played, and it rocked my pants.

Kinky :D

I just got FF 12. I haven't played it much, but it's pretty good. The graphics are great, but the fighting system is tough to get used to. The constant need to adjust the view is aggravating at first, but it gets fun once you get a feel for it.

My younger brother rented it once and I played through a good portion of it. I thought it was a pretty entertaining game. The storyline obviously wasn't as in depth as VII's, but from what I remember it was pretty fluent. The graphics are very nice and a lot of the dialogue is voice acting, with the voices being the same from the actors of FF: Advent Children. I think you'd like it if you gave it a shot.

P.S.- You haven't really finished VII till you beat Emerald and Ruby weapon. :silly: I beat them :cool:

I heard it was more like an an action game rather than an RPG? Is this true? I can't see them making it a total action game.

Throughout this entire thread, 92 posts, not a single person mentioned FF - A Mystic Quest. I liked it, it started me down the slippery slope that was Final Fantasy. Rediculously easy, but fun nonetheless.

If you did not get the Gold Chocobo and thus not acquire the Knights of the Round Summon, Sepiroth takes FOREVER to beat. Now, BOTH the Ruby & Emerald Weapons are quite possible the hardest RPG Bosses EVER!!

I heard it was more like an an action game rather than an RPG? Is this true? I can't see them making it a total action game.

It's pretty much a 3rd person shooter. It's got certain RPG elements in it like gaining levels and customizing certain things, but the gameplay is a 3rd person shooter, that can switch to FPS if i'm not mistaken

Throughout this entire thread, 92 posts, not a single person mentioned FF - A Mystic Quest. I liked it, it started me down the slippery slope that was Final Fantasy. Rediculously easy, but fun nonetheless.

If you did not get the Gold Chocobo and thus not acquire the Knights of the Round Summon, Sepiroth takes FOREVER to beat. Now, BOTH the Ruby & Emerald Weapons are quite possible the hardest RPG Bosses EVER!!

Yea...Emerald and Ruby were no walk in the park, that's for sure. I found Emerald to be pretty easy though, you can have a set plan and use that to wipe him out pretty fast. Ruby on the other hand takes 10 times more strategy to defeat, I managed though. Perhaps i'll reveal my secrets sometime

Yea...Emerald and Ruby were no walk in the park, that's for sure. I found Emerald to be pretty easy though, you can have a set plan and use that to wipe him out pretty fast. Ruby on the other hand takes 10 times more strategy to defeat, I managed though. Perhaps i'll reveal my secrets sometime

Emerald was considerably less difficult than Ruby. Ruby just takes patience and and basically EVERYTHING filled, ie. life magic and the most powerful heals. Ruby also take a strict strategy of healing at the proper times, if not you are effed!!!

Yeah I've never beaten Ruby or Emerald yet, but I've mastered the rest of the game. I mean MASTERED it...I have three (3) Master Summons (so far), and at least 4 of every other master materia. I mean all the ability materia combined 4 times over, all the Green/magic, etc.. My goal is to equip each of the nine characters with a master of each color. And YES, it has taken me forever.

If you want a good spot for leveling up and getting a ton of gil, run in a tight circle just outside of the village that sunk into the materia...it's that little island in the southeast where Cloud freaked out and went schizo. Just put double cut (leveled up to the x4) and wail away on those lizard looking guys that come in groups of four. One of the best spots in the game.

It's pretty much a 3rd person shooter. It's got certain RPG elements in it like gaining levels and customizing certain things, but the gameplay is a 3rd person shooter, that can switch to FPS if i'm not mistaken

I don't know if I would call it a third person shooter, because when you bring up the battle menu, it freezes the game and gives you stopage(is this even a word?) time to choose something to do.

It's more like a slower paced online game like WoW.

Archived