Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

old SI scouting article on Portis before he was drafted

Fifty Gut

came across this, funny how wrong they were

"Does not translate his stop watch speed onto the football field; can not bounce it to the outside, run to daylight nor does he show a burst. Best between the tackles but may not have the size to take an every down pounding. Very productive and a runner who will produce if put in a rotational system that shuffles its backs in and out of the lineup. Late Second Round"

link

I saw Portis' second to last game he played in college

December 1st, 2001, Miami vs Virginia Tech

The thing that amazed me that day (and half the day I was yelling PORTIS IS KILLING US) was the fact he was so patient and had amazing vision. Just when I thought one of our lineman would get a tackle, woosh, a hop skip step and a 5 yard gain. I couldn't believe it. Now we didn't let him break off any big runs, but the whole game he used his vision to hit the right hole and gain yards

It is amazing how good he has become in the NFL

Have you ever read the scouting reports on Ray Lewis, Emmit Smith and Jerry Rice too?

It is amazing, they work very hard to get things right, and 90% of the time they do.

But that 10%... man oh man are they wrong.

You know what else is so crazy about that scouting report? That is a 19 year old Clinton Portis.

Dude was 19 when he was drafted, that is crazy.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Without a doubt one of the worst scouting reports I have ever seen on a player coming out of college........But wait, oh yes, that's right It's a SI Scouting Report and we ALL know how good they are, I mean come on is Dr. Z or Peter King EVER wrong??? :whoknows: :whoknows: :whoknows:

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Those "scouting reports" are usually just rehashing actual scouting reports, although it is one of the worst I have ever seen, you can't really say it is SI's fault - they most likely had little to nothing to do with it.

SI has little to nothing to do with anything of substance.

I saw Portis' second to last game he played in college

December 1st, 2001, Miami vs Virginia Tech

The thing that amazed me that day (and half the day I was yelling PORTIS IS KILLING US) was the fact he was so patient and had amazing vision. Just when I thought one of our lineman would get a tackle, woosh, a hop skip step and a 5 yard gain. I couldn't believe it. Now we didn't let him break off any big runs, but the whole game he used his vision to hit the right hole and gain yards

It is amazing how good he has become in the NFL

In the Denver offense, he hit the hole fast. I see a lot of that same patience this year with him.

Archived