Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All those saying Cambell is a bust, please explain?

TC

Obviously, the thoughts on the QB position for the Skins are pretty diverse and every individual has his or her own strong opinions.

However, there seems to be two major contingencies at each end of the spectrum that have formed over the course of this year (most notably the past couple of weeks). I'm not trying to pigeonhole everyone here, but this is what I see forming:

Contingency #1 (which I am personally in):

Bench Brunell and play Campbell right now. We don't believe Brunell is capable of leading us to a Super Bowl and just making the playoffs simply does not cut it. We feel that Campbell desperately needs the experience and want to see him get his chance sooner rather than later.

Contingency #2:

The coaching staff are all genuises, and they always know what's best. As a matter of fact, the longer they don't play Campbell, the more evident it becomes that he will be as big a bust if not bigger than Shuler.

I personally don't see the rationale behind contingency #2, especially considering that Campbell has yet to take a snap in a regular season game. I would love for someone from the other side to explain it to me, and I'm more than happy to expand upon my views for those who don't understand them. It's beginning to get kind of annoying to have people writing him off already.

what is the point of this thread?

I think the point of the thread is do we, as skins fans, want to watch a Brunell, with whom we have the best chance of going to the playoffs with, stumble through the season OR watch a potentially exciting development of the future of our squad in Jason Campbell week to week. /runonsentence.

I could be wrong, but in my defense I've been drinking since the John Hall appreciation thread opened.

what is the point of this thread?

I would like the other end of the spectrum to explain to me how they can say that Campbell will be a bust before he has ever even taken his first snap, just like I asked.

I guess I fall in Camp 1 but I think your post was a little narrow minded and sort of made Camp 2 seem more ignorant with the whole "think the coaches are genius" part.

Agreed. TC. If you weren't trying to " pigeonhole everyone here", then you seemed to have done so fairly well by accident. I don't think either or any group can be categorized that easily.

Agreed. TC. If you weren't trying to " pigeonhole everyone here", then you seemed to have done so fairly well by accident. I don't think either or any group can be categorized that easily.

Good lord, people, let's not be so sensitive. The thread is intended to be narrow minded.

I'm sure that my views (which are totally on one end of the spectrum) on the situation annoy those who want to keep Brunell in. However, I can at least understand the rationale behind that camp's views.

I'm asking the people on here (whatever "contingency" they may choose to think of themselves as a part of) who have been writing off Campbell as a bust already to justify this belief. This mindset, far as I'm concerned, is the total other end of the spectrum and I would like to hear the rationale behind it.

If you're somewhere in the middle then I'm sorry, this thread wasn't meant for you. There are plenty of other threads to post in.

Good lord, people, let's not be so sensitive. The thread is intended to be narrow minded.

I'm sure that my views (which are totally on one end of the spectrum) on the situation annoy those who want to keep Brunell in. However, I can at least understand the rationale behind that camp's views.

I'm asking the people on here (whatever "contingency" they may choose to think of themselves as a part of) who have been writing off Campbell as a bust already to justify this belief. This mindset, far as I'm concerned, is the total other end of the spectrum and I would like to hear the rationale behind it.

If you're somewhere in the middle then I'm sorry, this thread wasn't meant for you. There are plenty of other threads to post in.

:laugh: And he calls me sensitive. :laugh: TC I can tell you right now there's really very little on this board to be sensitive about. Espcially anything having to do with young Mr. Cambell. I was agreeing with another poster and it just seemed like you were being a bit narrow with the categorization, ( which apparently was what you were trying to do despite not wanting to pigeonhole folks). Accidentally on purpose of course. Chalk me up in the I would just as soon he be given the best chance to succeed while at the same time the team is given that chance as well. If that means waiting and learning behind Brunell, so be it. That means I don't believe he's a bust, but a talented young QB who is waiting for his chance to go out and do what he can do.

How does anyone know what Campbell can or can't do? He hasn't been given a chance and until that time we will never know. We do know what we have in Brunell. Inconsistency and no range. The Giants had, (until we played them) one of the worst ranked pass defenses in the league. We should have been licking our chops, rolling out and throwing the long ball at least once in awhile to let them know we could. With Brunell in, the opposition knows that is no threat. Do any of you honestly, and THINK about it, believe that Brunell is going to take us to a Superbowl much less win a playoff game? How many more seasons do you want him to play? Are you afraid that Campbell is going to do worse than Brunell? The Redskins under Coach Gibbs have won 3 superbowls with 3 different quarterbacks. Brunell's best shot was last season. It is time to roll out what we hope is the future of Redskin's football and see what this kid can do with some experience under his belt. I admire Joe Gibb's for his loyalty, but you want to talk about beating a dead horse?

:applause: I was going to say the same thing. We all have our reason for our opinions and not all of them fall in your two categories.

From what I saw in preseason Campbell looked good at times and not so good at times, as did Brunell. The difference being Brunell was playing against first team defenses and Campbell was playing against 2nd and 3rd string defenses. I think history shows that 2nd year Qbs have a steep learning curve (and please dont use Leinart and the Bucs rookie debuts as rebuttal, its one week people.) I think we must be realistic and not expect a 2nd year Qb whos never taken a snap to take us to the promise land.

The point is that with Campbell there is tremendous potential and hope that he will get better and better with playing time ... with Brunell it is hopeless ... why prolong the agony.

I think the coaching staff perspective going into this season was, Brunell took us to the playoffs with few offensive weapons last year. We got him some help, ie ARE, Lloyd and Al Saunders, so they figured we should be able to win two more games with those additions. Campbell is likely to take a full season or two to come into his own and we want to win now.

Geeze, maybe if L.A. does get an expansion team, one of us EXTREMESKINS may be well suited for a head coaching job. :silly:

The way I see it, Campbell was a reach who may or may not have had geniune first round potential. He is not a surefire lock for greatness or even success, but given the way the team has talked, I give them some benefit of the doubt that there is reason to believe he might eventually become a good player.

The question as to when or if he gets on the field is a simple matter of whether he's the best QB on the team at the time. Personally, I believe that as long as Brunell is healthy, he is going to be the best QB on the team, probably for a few more years. If the team thinks it can win a Super Bowl in the time frame that Brunell is still viable, it would be irresponsible to replace him with Campbell, who will have to undergo growing pains.

Obviously, the thoughts on the QB position for the Skins are pretty diverse and every individual has his or her own strong opinions.

However, there seems to be two major contingencies at each end of the spectrum that have formed over the course of this year (most notably the past couple of weeks). I'm not trying to pigeonhole everyone here, but this is what I see forming:

Contingency #1 (which I am personally in):

Bench Brunell and play Campbell right now. We don't believe Brunell is capable of leading us to a Super Bowl and just making the playoffs simply does not cut it. We feel that Campbell desperately needs the experience and want to see him get his chance sooner rather than later.

Contingency #2:

The coaching staff are all genuises, and they always know what's best. As a matter of fact, the longer they don't play Campbell, the more evident it becomes that he will be as big a bust if not bigger than Shuler.

I personally don't see the rationale behind contingency #2, especially considering that Campbell has yet to take a snap in a regular season game. I would love for someone from the other side to explain it to me, and I'm more than happy to expand upon my views for those who don't understand them. It's beginning to get kind of annoying to have people writing him off already.

I think that you need to brush up on your vocabulary. Diversity is a noun, and diverse is an adjecitve. You meant to say that your thoughts on the qb situation differ from others? I only see two sides here. You are either happy about our situation, or you would like to see a change.

Secondly, A contingency is a circumstance that is possible but cannot be predicted with certainty. You used the word out of context. How does the word contingency come into play on your second point? Moreover, How does your first point even support the word contingency? Brunell is not going to be benched, and the latter part of the statement is not a plausible one because the staff has already told the media and the fans that JC is not remotely ready. If there are no possibilities, at least right now, then there can be no contingencies.

Try to make threads that people can chime in on, and try not to make statements using "words" instead of logic. Not knockin' you 'bro, but you are trying to use "big" words that don't mean a thing in an attempt to mask your obvious displeasure with our qb situation.

To answer your question in your thread title: No one knows if he is a bust or not. No one is going to find out any time soon either. Do guys like you even read the newspaper, visit the Redskins site, or listen to the staff/players talk about the status of this team? I'm finding it increasingly hard to come onto ES and read the countless threads of nonsense that flood this board. Oh well, I'm not leaving so I guess I'll have to stomach it until we win again. Then, Guys like you can jump back into Brunell's pants and start swingin' from his jock again. One week yer' in, the next week yer' out.

I've said the same thing since 2004. If were not going to win games then start the young guy. It turned the team around in 04 when Ramsey went in cold against superior opposition. He played better than Brunell in his starts.

Brunell was perfect for last years team if every facet of the team was running perfectly through the season and playoffs but that didn't happen during the season and we got the wildcard and once in the playoffs the offense was completely dead for most of the 2 games. Brunell can do what Dilfer did for the Ravens in 2000 and thats about it. He would be the perfect QB for the Broncos right now. They would have won the MNF game 27-3 if he was their QB but our defense isn't as dominant and our OL is the most overpaid bunch in the league.

I have said since the Dallas game this year, as I did in 2004 after the Giants game that we should start the young guy since things aren't going to be perfect enough to win with Brunell. The coaches again feel otherwise and we will see how it goes. To me, we would have to get Springs back, the OL, DL and Archuleta would have to start playing up to their contracts and we couldn't have any injuries to important players for it to work with Brunell in there. Sure, we could win the SB this year but this team isn't playing like it at all right now and you know someone will get hurt and ruin it.

I feel that if we go into the bye week at anything less than .500(ie: 3-5 or 2-6), we need to take the extra time we get w/the bye and get Campbell ready to play...The only way that you can tell if he can play is to give him the damn ball and let him do what he do! I mean we are already inconsistent on offense w/our so called best QB playing why not give the young guy a chance...He cant be any worse and it may provide the spark this team needs to push forward...

I feel that if we go into the bye week at anything less than .500(ie: 3-5 or 2-6), we need to take the extra time we get w/the bye and get Campbell ready to play...The only way that you can tell if he can play is to give him the damn ball and let him do what he do! I mean we are already inconsistent on offense w/our so called best QB playing why not give the young guy a chance...He cant be any worse and it may provide the spark this team needs to push forward...

Trust me, he could be alot worse. He could play like a rookie, telegraph everythrow, throw 3 ints. a game and make the typical rookies mistakes you tend to see. And of course all the JC fanbois would be back here saying we need to dump him and get another QB because he is the worst ever. :rolleyes:

****, Peyton Mannig had a not so good first year. Im sure we would have had tons screamming for his head if we had him too.

:doh:

I think he starts next year. But face it, Gibbs does not like to start real young QB's.

Brunell is the man for the season because after 2004 we all ripped on him, but last year he completely redeemed himself. He CAN do it, he has the ability.

Campbell will have a future, but what kind of future isn't known just yet. Why doesn't anybody know? BECAUSE HE HASN'T TAKEN A SINGLE SNAP YET!!!

You can't say one thing or another about Campbell because he hasn't played in a regular season game. The way I see it, we know what Brunell can do but Campbell is an unknown. He could do really well or he could, like most QB's in their first year, play on a mediocre (if not terrible) level. The gamble seems too great to risk the entire season on a QB that might end up flopping.

You can't expect a Ben Rothlisberger phenomenom to happen. We have to develop Campbell like every other rookie quarterback, and right now we have to stick with the veteran, like him or not. We can't screw up Campbell's development, he could be our future.

Archived