Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Do you still want Williams as HC?

KingGibbs

In light of our defensive struggles this year, talk about Williams becoming a HC here or elswhere has come to a screeching halt compared to the last two years. Yes, I know it's only been five games, but based on what we have seen thus far, what are your thoughts on this?

The fault on the defense lies squarely on the shoulders of a few people: (i) the secondary for playing like crap thereby completely disabling the blitz (which is a core part of the Williams scheme), and (ii) our personnel guys from not bringing in more depth to the secondary and bringing in a real pass rushing threat. There's probably an argument there that Williams should have some culpability in some of this for failing to recognize the need for depth and for signing off on players that, to this point, have not made a difference on the defense (and/or letting go players that we shouldn't have let go).

Now, if Springs returns and or Wright/Rumph/Jimoh--whoever, steps up to the plate, and we still can't get it done...well, then maybe there's something there.

But I haven't given up on Williams just yet.

In light of our defensive struggles this year, talk about Williams becoming a HC here or elswhere has come to a screeching halt compared to the last two years. Yes, I know it's only been five games, but based on what we have seen thus far, what are your thoughts on this?

I was giving this some thought last night...I think Saunders would be a better candidate for HC. Gregg Williams' defense is just playing absolutely horrible. He's not calling the gutsy plays. On 3rd 17, down by 13 points, we rushed 3 guys and allowed the Giants to convert. I think he's playing scared all because Shawn Springs is out...but you CAN'T do that when only one player is out! I thought GW could take anyone and turn them into a stud. Guess I'm wrong, because our secondary is terrible right now.

I never did :) some guys are meant to be cordinators. Greg was a really bad HC in Buffalo.

I want to know what happened to his attitude he had with Lavar last year nobody is a starter, the next man has to step up blah blah blah........rubish. He once said he likes his defense to play with a chip on their shoulder. Well Greg where is your chip? The guy is on Comcast laughing it up after losses with Kelly and Chic Hernandez making excuses and then laughing some more :doh:

The fault on the defense lies squarely on the shoulders of a few people: (i) the secondary for playing like crap thereby completely disabling the blitz (which is a core part of the Williams scheme), and (ii) our personnel guys from not bringing in more depth to the secondary and bringing in a real pass rushing threat. There's probably an argument there that Williams should have some culpability in some of this for failing to recognize the need for depth and for signing off on players that, to this point, have not made a difference on the defense (and/or letting go players that we shouldn't have let go).

Now, if Springs returns and or Wright/Rumph/Jimoh--whoever, steps up to the plate, and we still can't get it done...well, then maybe there's something there.

Forget who we bring in, look at all the people we have let go in the secondary while Gibbs has been here. Our defense last year was not as good as 04 and its leaps and bounds worse this year.

I was giving this some thought last night...I think Saunders would be a better candidate for HC. Gregg Williams' defense is just playing absolutely horrible. He's not calling the gutsy plays. On 3rd 17, down by 13 points, we rushed 3 guys and allowed the Giants to convert. I think he's playing scared all because Shawn Springs is out...but you CAN'T do that when only one player is out! I thought GW could take anyone and turn them into a stud. Guess I'm wrong, because our secondary is terrible right now.

He made Gibbs believe that as well and now our defense is a total mess because of Williams' huge ego.

I definiely haven't given up on Williams. But, me thinks that his ego MIGHT be getting the best of him. The fact that you mention the lack of depth would make me mention his ego because MAYBE he thinks he can throw anybody in there and have the same success.

I think if he can pull it together this year then maybe, he needs to realize he can not just get any joe shmoe of the street and stick them in. We have lost a ton of talent on the Defensive the side the last 5 years and now it is showing.

Yes.... I think Greg Williams can be a great head coach. He would have been a great head coach for Buffalo, but he didn't have a offensive coordinator that could score for him. That was the fault of the head office plain and simple, but blame the coach!!! Right now our defense sucks, Andre Carter was a bad call to bring into this team. Put Posey in Carters Position, he played both DE, and LB for the bills. Now trade Carter, and Duckett (we don't use him anyway) and get a shutdown DB and maybe a draft pick!!

I never did :) some guys are meant to be cordinators. Greg was a really bad HC in Buffalo.

I want to know what happened to his attitude he had with Lavar last year nobody is a starter, the next man has to step up blah blah blah........rubish. He once said he likes his defense to play with a chip on their shoulder. Well Greg where is your chip? The guy is on Comcast laughing it up after losses with Kelly and Chic Hernandez making excuses and then laughing some more :doh:

He was LAUGHING????? He should have been throwing chairs after Sundays game.

Yes.... I think Greg Williams can be a great head coach. He would have been a great head coach for Buffalo, but he didn't have a offensive coordinator that could score for him. That was the fault of the head office plain and simple, but blame the coach!!! Right now our defense sucks, Andre Carter was a bad call to bring into this team. Put Posey in Carters Position, he played both DE, and LB for the bills. Now trade Carter, and Duckett (we don't use him anyway) and get a shutdown DB and maybe a draft pick!!

Only the skins would trade for some one like Carter and they know we plan to release Duckett at the end of the year so unless there is a need for a rb during the season then we will not get anything for Duckett.

Williams can only work with what he has. It was not his fault or decision to let Ryan Clark go. If Clark was here, helping out in our sore secondary, I believe thing s would be better.

Also, on that same note, he can't call blitzes when the players on the field cannot as a whole execute. If he was calling the blitz as much as some people on this board want him to, we would be getting burned EVERY series by the opposing offense.

It would be downright dumb not to have Williams succeed Gibbs. He is a great coach that has proven over different teams that he can make a killer defense. He did it at Ten, Buf, and Washington. He is just having a down year. The key to success in the NFL is having consistency with the right person, through the good and bad. Look at Cowher, he has had down years yet the Steelers kept because they knew he was a good coach and they were rewarded with it in the form of a Super Bowl win. Keep Williams. He is gold.

It would be downright dumb not to have Williams succeed Gibbs. He is a great coach that has proven over different teams that he can make a killer defense. He did it at Ten, Buf, and Washington. He is just having a down year. The key to success in the NFL is having consistency with the right person, through the good and bad. Look at Cowher, he has had down years yet the Steelers kept because they knew he was a good coach and they were rewarded with it in the form of a Super Bowl win. Keep Williams. He is gold.

Norv has proven he can make a killer offense as a cordinator does that make him Head coach mateiral?

I definiely haven't given up on Williams. But, me thinks that his ego MIGHT be getting the best of him. The fact that you mention the lack of depth would make me mention his ego because MAYBE he thinks he can throw anybody in there and have the same success.

Exactly--i mean seriously, Lemar Marshall? Warrick Holdman? Mike Rumph? These guys might not even make the rosters of other clubs.

yes, i do want him. let's not forget about what he has done for this team over his three seasons here. the terrible(and sometimes wonderful) thing about the internet and message boards in particular is that it gives people a medium to make their reactionary, sometimes uninformed points for everyone to see. GW still has my vote.

So were you giving him credit last year when the defense was dominant down the stretch? I doubt it. You were probably in hiding like the rest of the Arrington apologists.

Fact is, we were seeing these same stupid threads after the Denver game and after the Giants game last year. People were burning torches on this site. Then we went on a defensive tear and almost everyone was back on Williams's banana. I would estimate that 95% of fans would have been on suicide watch had GW taken a HC job last offseason.

Let the year play out - then we can look back and start lopping off player's and coach's heads. Sadly, these threads are more of a cry for attention than anything else.

Good corners are essential for Williams' scheme, so that he can blitz safeties and LB's'. The CB's need to be good enough to be left on islands if need be. Also, the safeties need to be able to cover when GW calls the occasional CB blitz. With Ryan Clark departed via free agency, we get Adam Archuleta. This is a good and bad thing. AA is much better vs. the run than Clark, but is somewhat of a liability in pass coverage (see MIN, DAL, HOU, JAX games where he bites on play-action, losing his man on a post). With the loss of Pierson Prioelau, we are even thinner at safety. With the loss of Springs, Rogers gets bumped up to #1 CB, a place where he is not ready for yet, and journeymen/backups get bumped up to #2CB and nickel corner. Ade Jimoh must be totally horrible, since he's been pretty scarce this year.

Yesterday, I watched Mike Rumph give away a CB-LB overload blitz 20 seconds before the snap, allowing the RB to come across from the opposite side to block. I also saw our CB's giving 15-yard cushions on 3rd & 1. Either Shawn Springs is the Clinton Portis of the defense, (a scary thought since he is not getting any younger) or we are just flat out poor in the secondary.

Does anybody else remember screaming for a good CB in the draft & free agency this offseason? I was part of that crowd. Rocky is great and all, but right now our secondary could use some speed/skill.

Archived