Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

My New HDTV - Updated with photos (post #36)

Art Monk Fan

oh my.. our budget is roughly 2500

Don't fret, you can get a damn good TV for that price. I would recommend this one. it includes the stand and Lifetime warranty. Its just not 1080p but still a great TV.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11095163&whse=BC&Ne=5000001+4000000&N=4001374%204294967225&Mo=2&No=0&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&Sp=C&topnav=

963438L.jpg

if you do not mind how much was it??

i am looking at getting an lcd now i was thinking dlp but just love the look of the lcds, heck even plasmas are cheap now

the delima i have though is to get 1080p or not

from what i've read, 1080p isnt going to be broadcast for quite some time, 7+ years, but you never know. plus the price difference between the two sets are too much for me to consider. i think im gonna go with a samsung 56" dlp, they are SWEET tv's. right now, im renting a 52" zenith, although i'm returning it today, from RAC. i just wanted to know what HD was like before i dropped 2 large on a tv, and even though there arent a ton of HD channels, it's right around the corner.

my biggest beef right now is directv doesnt have locals in HD yet in my area, but time warner doesnt have fox in hd, which house is one of fav shows, next to lost. so i have dtv in 2 rooms, and tw in the other, cause they have the locals in hd.

The Sony's are awesome TV's, but one of the reasons besides wanting a DLP that I didn't get one is how it sticks out on each side.

Well, if you spring for the 70", the "dumbo ear" speakers detatch, which is perfect if you run your set through your surround sound system all the time. 70" was just too big for my family room, though.

from what i've read, 1080p isnt going to be broadcast for quite some time, 7+ years, but you never know. plus the price difference between the two sets are too much for me to consider. i think im gonna go with a samsung 56" dlp, they are SWEET tv's. right now, im renting a 52" zenith, although i'm returning it today, from RAC. i just wanted to know what HD was like before i dropped 2 large on a tv, and even though there arent a ton of HD channels, it's right around the corner.

my biggest beef right now is directv doesnt have locals in HD yet in my area, but time warner doesnt have fox in hd, which house is one of fav shows, next to lost. so i have dtv in 2 rooms, and tw in the other, cause they have the locals in hd.

I was thinking DLP untill I saw the Samsung 40 inch LCD, it is just amazing and I love the look of it. I currently have a 26 Samsung LCD and love it.

The only thing I need to decide is 40 or 46 and 720 or 1080p

If your budget is 2500 you can get a sweet LCD for that price

i heard that sony has the best 50 inch and if u go higher its samsung? is that correct

Nope thats not correct. Sony makes great large TV's I have the 70" XBR950 from a few years ago. Some of the guys here have watched it, the picture is awesome.

Never mind my previous comment, thought that thing was a LCD or Plasma....

It's actually an LCOS rear-projection set: Liquid Crystal On Sillicon. It'a hi-bred format that's not a flat panel, but it's half the depth of a tube rear-projection, which is what i had before.

It doesn't have the burn-in problems of a plasma and has a brighter picture than an LCD.

nice tv, but who the **** was your trim carpenter? the rosettes on you door casing are on the bottom where the plinth blocks should be :doh:

:laugh: The trim was done by the previous owner, who is a professional remodelor. Those are actually window casings on either side of the TV and the rosettes are in all four corners. And thanks for noticing, the elaborate window trim and moldings were among our reasons for buying the house. :laugh:

I guess you guys don't like projectors with screens over 100 inches??? Can get for less than 1000 and with the right cables you can get a Hi-Def picture. Just wondering what your thoughts were.

I'm actually a projector fan. The problem for me is I don't have enough light control in my room for one. If you can keep you viewing room dark they are awesome. If not you have to go with something that outputs more lumens.

Not really. Sony's sreen similar to DLP is the LCD projection sreen. This is a LCOS screen. Its a step above both of those.

that is what sony says, many still say the LCD is the best technology in tv's today and even better then plasmas

i will check out the lcos though, do all of them look like a box on top of a box though??

that is what sony says, many still say the LCD is the best technology in tv's today and even better then plasmas

i will check out the lcos though, do all of them look like a box on top of a box though??

You have to specify which technologies your talking about. There are DLP and LCD projection which are similar in pitcure quality, each with their own strengths. Both are projection technologies. LCOS is also a projection technology that is better than either of the former.

Then you have true LCD flat panels which can be better than all the previously listed. The thing is a 60 or 70 inch LCD flat panel is in the >20,000K price range now. The prjection technologies for the size screen are much cheaper and in the case of LCOS almost as good, even better than some flat panel LCD's.

Archived