Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Going Deep

NattyLight

I've been thinking about the necessary offensive game plan the Gibbs and Co. will need in order to defeat the Jags and the only solution I can come up with is GOING DEEP. Early and often. I still think that the run game will be important but with the stingy D-Line of JAX I'm guessing will get no more than 150 rush yards.

The ding routes WILL NOT work against this defense. The Jaguars will plan for this, give the receiver about a 2-3yd cushion, seek, and then destroy our receiver(s). Especially on 3rd and uncomfortable. Therefore I look forward to seeing some complex deep outs pressuring there DB's and 15yd slants to make their LB's have to drop back.

So I hope the Jacksonville secondary is ready for some speed, because Moss, Randal El, Lloyd, and Patten should be going vertical on them ALL DAY BABY!!

This game should be a great indicator as to whether or not Mark Brunell can take us to the PostSeason.

I certainly hope that is the case. I would love for us to send a barrage of passes downfield. I still dont think brunell is the guy for the job. I hope the record breaking week last week has given him renewed confidence. Also, our O-line has to step up, And thank God we have CP back in the lineup that kid can block.

I think a lot of the dink and dunk last week was to set up for this game. We'll obviously have to get a run game started, and maybe some dinks and dunks. That should then allow us to (hopefully) try for some deep balls. At the very least, more intermediate balls.

I still dont think brunell is the guy for the job. I hope the record breaking week last week has given him renewed confidence.

Unfortunately there is nothing that we can do about this. But with all practical sense: Mark Brunell is a freakin' veteran quarterback in the NFL. He better be able to execute EVERY damn play in Saunder's playbook, therefore all Al has to do is call it.

Dallas had some success against the Jags with deep passes, when they weren't being intercepted. I don't think we will be going deep all day, but definitely something we MUST do in order to spread this defense out.

I think you're also right in saying we may need to pass in order to open up the run. Usually that's the first thing we try to do is establish a run game, if we do this against a stout Jags D they have the ability to stuff it which will set up many 3rd & longs where they can bring tons of pressure making it impossible to go deep.

I hope we can keep this defense guessing and on their heals, I know we have the talent necessary to get open deep, I just hope like hell we can get the protection necessary and Brunell is decisive in taking his shots.

I hope we can keep this defense guessing and on their heals, I know we have the talent necessary to get open deep, I just hope like hell we can get the protection necessary and Brunell is decisive in taking his shots.

BK, the key is highlighted in BOLD.

F holding out Al, he needs to pull out ALL the stops against the Jags. The NYG's secondary is a joke, we can play them well enough with a more simplistic offensive approach.

This is the week we need to see the real nature of the high powered offense.

Dont you think Saunders and company are reviewing what the Colts, Steelers, and Cowboys tried, what was successful and what wasnt?

Absolutely, but they have to ALSO anticipate how the JAGS are game planning for us. Which up until this point is no deep game whatsoever.:2cents:

the whole season is a chess match. We have been showing the short passing game alot, so now other teams will be game planning their safeties closer to the line. Then BAM! We hit em deep! Once we spread the field and safeties are playing deep, BAM! We run Portis at them! Once they defend portis and the deep threat we throw ARE at them withe option pass. BAM! we win.

It's becoming clear that we over compensated our WR corp. What I mean by that is all of our WR's are deep threats so when we do go three wide defense's have no option but to play a two deep cover 2 with deep drops by the LBer's and hope the front four can beat our O-Line. Unlike 04-05 when teams were daring us to beat them with the pass, teams are now daring us to beat them with the run.

The key to this game and the rest of the season will be to get CP running hard early. That is the only way to get the safeties and LBer's to stay near the line and get the coverages that Saunders wants on the outside.

I don't see us trying to go deep that often. Saunders might call plays where it's an option but Brunell and Saunders will want to limit turnovers. I see us converting on maybe one deep ball going for 30-40+ maybe to Moss but I think it'll be Lloyd in one-on-one coverage.

Of course, this can only happen if we establish the run.

This will be close game decided by field goals and the 4th quarter.

I don't see us trying to go deep that often. Saunders might call plays where it's an option but Brunell and Saunders will want to limit turnovers. I see us converting on maybe one deep ball going for 30-40+ maybe to Moss but I think it'll be Lloyd in one-on-one coverage.

Of course, this can only happen if we establish the run.

This will be close game decided by field goals and the 4th quarter.

This is almost the point of the thread. If the game goes this way. We will most likely lose. Why? Because your scenerio is typical Gibbs playing not to lose, not playing to win.

Let's see...

Bledsoe had almost 250 yards but 3 INTs against them. No real long balls that I recall.

Big Ben had 140 yards and an INT against them. No long ball to speak of. ( Bench him I guess? :doh: )

Manning had a little over 200 yards against them. Again, no long ball that I recall.

Now, you want us to throw deep and often? Why? Because the first three teams couldn't? I think if we rush for 150 yards on the ground this game is ours. :2cents: I'm not sure what people except around here. The Jags are an ugly team. They play ugly and win often ( by ugly I mean smashmouth football, nothing fancy or big ). Alot like the traditional Gibbs teams. Don't expect alot of scoring in this one. I would except more three and outs on both sides of the ball and maybe a 17-13 type of game. :cheers:

"Let's see...

Bledsoe had almost 250 yards but 3 INTs against them. No real long balls that I recall.

Big Ben had 140 yards and an INT against them. No long ball to speak of. ( Bench him I guess? )

Manning had a little over 200 yards against them. Again, no long ball that I recall.

Now, you want us to throw deep and often? Why? Because the first three teams couldn't? I think if we rush for 150 yards on the ground this game is ours. I'm not sure what people except around here. The Jags are an ugly team. They play ugly and win often ( by ugly I mean smashmouth football, nothing fancy or big ). Alot like the traditional Gibbs teams. Don't expect alot of scoring in this one. I would except more three and outs on both sides of the ball and maybe a 17-13 type of game."

let's see ...all previous opponents threw long on the Texans. my my how we stand on shifting sands.

Archived