Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How well do we know Quarterbacks???

FuriousD

Or recent history for that matter!

I thought about posting this last week when it was painfully obvious that as fans or as a community if you like, that we really know very little about the QB position.

This week the QB lynch mob is out for blood. Again!

We talk adnauseum about arm strengh and mobility. Height and athletic ability. Vision and smarts. But at the end of the day we really don't have much of a clue about what it really takes to get the job done and more importantly who can get the job done.

Case in point: Brad Johnson .

Six years ago Brad Johnson was run out of town by the members on this board. Many here hated the fact that he was traded for to begin with. We gave up way too much to get him (supposedly) but we needed a QB badly (Trent Green had slipped away) and Casserly did what he thought was best for the team at the time.

When Brad left Washington, he was supposedly washed up! Done. Toast. Old Noodle Arm, he was called when folks were being polite. Few were sad to see him go. Most felt vindicated in their frustration over the trade to begin with.

Three years later Brad got to hoist the Lombardi Trophy.

Now I know alot of you here will want to give him no credit whatsoever for that accomplishment but that's your problem. I figure you are probably the same crowd who have already grabbed your pitchforks and torches and are headed for the mill.

Facts are there are very good reasons why he helped earn himself and his teammates those rings.

Six years, six years after leaving Washington, Brad Johnson returned to FedEx with his old skins jersey in his bag (****) and put a hurting on us with some beautiful throws and some heady game managment. Game-winning managment!

Whoda thunk it?!

Anybody else see a paralel here? Anyone feel like stepping up and admiting they were wrong about Brad Johnson all those years ago?

Anyone? Bueller?

:helmet:

Six years ago Brad Johnson was run out of town by the members on this board. Many here hated the fact that he was traded for to begin with. We gave up way too much to get him (supposedly) but we needed a QB badly (Trent Green had slipped away) and Casserly did what he thought was best for the team at the time.

When Brad left Washington, he was supposedly washed up! Done. Toast. Old Noodle Arm, he was called when folks were being polite. Few were sad to see him go. Most felt vindicated in their frustration over the trade to begin with.

Three years later Brad got to hoist the Lombardi Trophy.

I was not happy to see Brad go that year. We treated him like crap after he help get us to the playoffs.

Believed the story was Daniel Snyder asked Sonny Jurguson about Jeff George and Sonny responded by saying George was a good qb. I don't think Sonny realized what he said or Dan's reaction was going to be, but Jeff was sign a couple days later. Brad was pissed and rightfully so.

We let Trent Green and Rich Gannon (another SB QB) go because Mark Rypien was our starter. Super-Bowl MVP.

:notworthy to the :helmet: 4life

I wouldn't on this board during the Brad Johson days, but he still had it in him when he left, Brunell is just terrible. I want to be wrong, boy do I want to be wrong. But I am not going to sit up here and say that Brunell is ok, becasue he is not.

Edit: The only reason he got that super bowl ring is becasue of that Bucs D you know that and he dose too. While I am at it Jon Gruden got lucky too.

The ONE QB that the Skins had that was a STAR in the making was Trent Green. He went on to St. Louis, and then to KC and is now a legitimate STAR!

I think what Coach Gibbs did with Patrick Ramsey was disgraceful. You don't lie as a head coach!

I'm confused

By what?

Trent Green was a free agent the year the sale went through from teh Cooke family to Snyder and to be fair to Green it was messy. The club wanted him back but he thought he would be better in a more settled enviornment and bolted to the Rams ....... got injured .......Kurt Warner ........traded to Kansas City.

Rich Gannon was 3rd string with the Skins in Richie Pettibons ill fated years as HC. I live in the Uk and one of the few games I have managed to see live and in person was that year at Miami on a Monday night. Rypien was the starter but was injured so Cary Conklin got the start - if folks around here think Brunell is bad they should cast theit eyes over some tape of Conklin playing QB :doh:

He was yanked in the 3rd quarter and Gannon came in and lead us to a TD but it was too little too late.

I can't recall how he left us - I think he was just released as part of the clear out at the end of that year but then went on - much later to be fair - to be the super bowl MVP, Pro Bowler etc and have some stellar years with the Raiders.

I'm not sure any of this has any relevance to Mark Brunell though. The Skins will be his last gig as a player in the NFL. I think he will play through to at least week 7 or 8 this season and if the playoffs are gone or if he is still struggling as badly as Sunday night then we see Jason get some game experience.

I think Brunell is a great guy who showed last year he can still play when healthy. I'm not sure what is going wrong with the new offense but it starts with Brunell and extends out from there. From what I see he is throwing off his back foot way too much and not stepping up and throwing with authority. He needs better pass protection and he needs to be told to step up into the pocket not to look to roll out all the time under pressure unless it is by design.

The coaching staff have got this week to find a spark and put things right because if we loose to Houston Sunday the sky WILL start falling.

The only reason he got that super bowl ring is becasue of that Bucs D you know that and he dose too. While I am at it Jon Gruden got lucky too.

While they had the best D in the league, his numbers were pretty decent for the year, excluding the 21 ints.

Johnson passed for 3811 yds, with 26 TDs/21 INTs, and a QB rating of 81.5. In the Super Bowl, he finished 18 of 34 for 215 yds, 2 TDs/1 INT. Pitman rushed for 129 yds. The offense had 3 TDs, 2 FGs. Special teams had a return for a TD. Defense had 2 TDs. Looks to me like the offense was better than people are giving them credit for.

Pretty damn well I think.

I wouldn't get a job tommorow scouting college QB's and projecting their ability into the future - nor would I say that a QB like Alex Smith was done after one bad year when he was barely 21

However I am more than confident in my opinions on Brunell, and as painful as it has been I've rewatched both the Minny and Dallass games over, play by play.

He is bad.

I wasn't a member here or even lurking here when Brad Johnson left, but I was sorry to see him go. He played with a lot of gumption, or pizazz, or whatever you want to call it. From a fan's perspective, you always knew that he was going to give everything he had to the game.

I wish that Brunell was operating at the level that he did during the first half of the 2005 season, but so far this year Brunell looks a lot like he did in 2004 (awful!).

Archived