Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Very Telling Quote of Saunders' Frustration

Cracklock81

After the game, Saunders was asked his feelings of the offensive performance and the Redskins' inability to properly execute the new system. When asked about the quarterback play thus far and the inefficiency of Brunell, his response is very interesting-

"I don't know, Kurt Warner won the Super Bowl in his first year with it," Saunders said.

I sense Saunders' is highly disappointed with Brunell's inability to run the offense. He seems like he's extremely frustrated with Brunell as a QB, and his inability to make sound reads and get rid of the ball. Brunell still seems very uncomfortable in the new offense and I'm starting to worry how long it's going to take for him to get comfortable, if ever.

As a coordinator for both the Chiefs and the Rams, Saunders had some great players to work with, but one would think that the Redskins' current cast of weapons would be on par with those teams. The o-line has looked bad thus far and we've been without Portis, but when is it finally time to look at making a QB change and starting Campbell, or at least Collins?

Also, another thing that bothers me is Gibbs' has stuck by Brunell even thouhg he quickly pulled the plug on Ramsey last year. Is it time for one of the coaches (or players) to step up and call out the offense, and most notably Brunell? I think Saunders is about ready to pull the plug on Brunell. So why isn't Gibbs yet?

Here's my problem w/ that quote, and most of what Saunders has said about his system: it seems like his offense is his offense; it is what it is. It does not change or really morph. I thought it would be a mix of Gibbs' offense, and Saunders' offense.

It just seems, w/ quotes like this, that his system is his system, unchanging. Something doesn't seem right w/ that.

I mainly agree. You can't run a good offense without a good QB, regardless of who the OC is.

Gibbs didn't "pull the plug" on Ramsey, though. Ramsey got clotheslined in the throat by a DL for the Bears.

no, thats not correct at all.

gibbs pulled the plug at his first opportunity, and it just happened to be that particular play.

Also, another thing that bothers me is Gibbs' has stuck by Brunell even thouhg he quickly pulled the plug on Ramsey last year.

In the end, I don't think he pulled the plug quickly. I think he had misgivings about Ramsey for a while and he had finally seen enough in that first game.

Brunell gets the benefit of the doubt for what he did last year and the fact that we have a new offense, but that time is quickly coming to a close.

I think Saunders is about ready to pull the plug on Brunell. So why isn't Gibbs yet?

Who says he isn't? I didn't hear him make any positive comments about Brunell's performance yesterday.

Despite what people think, when he goes with a QB, he goes with a guy who he thinks gives us the best chance to win. In early 2004, that was Brunell. In 2005, that was also Brunell. Who knows who it will be this year, but it doesn't look like it is Brunell so far.

jason

Here's my problem w/ that quote, and most of what Saunders has said about his system: it seems like his offense is his offense; it is what it is. It does not change or really morph. I thought it would be a mix of Gibbs' offense, and Saunders' offense.

It just seems, w/ quotes like this, that his system is his system, unchanging. Something doesn't seem right w/ that.

Well, since it has been the top offense in the NFL the last 5 years, I think maybe the problem is NOT the scheme. :2cents:

I mainly agree. You can't run a good offense without a good QB, regardless of who the OC is.

Gibbs didn't "pull the plug" on Ramsey, though. Ramsey got clotheslined in the throat by a DL for the Bears.

Wake up. Gibbs pulled the plug on Ramsey, and rightfully so. Ramsey was ready to return to the game after 2 plays. Don't re-write history.

The offense with Brunnel is kind of on slow motion and it does not seem that he can throw the ball deep even when last year he was doing it, this year seem like the offense plays from the back field to the next 10 yards ahead the line of scrimage and that is limiting the offense.

Wow, this is almost the same way we started last year, with troubles on offense.

Every report I've heard about Saunders offense is that its 700 pages long and every QB thats been in the system said it takes a year to learn. Trent Green told that to Brunell also. So I expect growing pains throughout the season.

Was the offense that bad last year that it needed to be overhauled?

We had some bad outings in the playoffs but did Brunell not have his best year?

Did Portis not break the redskins single season rushing record?

Did Moss not break the redskins single season receiving record?

Cooley also had a standout year.

Do a couple of bad games in the playoffs really need a offense to be overhauled and have a team learn a new playbook and one that is 700 pages at that!

Ramsey was injured in that game in the first half and he coulda come back for the second, however Gibbs was backing brunell forever and so the first chance he had i.e. Ramsey's injury which hardly was, he took it and never gave ramsey another chance. I thought it was pathetic personally. Ramsey woulda played fine, and now we will never know. I just hope that campbell can get in there.

After the game, Saunders was asked his feelings of the offensive performance and the Redskins' inability to properly execute the new system. When asked about the quarterback play thus far and the inefficiency of Brunell, his response is very interesting-

"I don't know, Kurt Warner won the Super Bowl in his first year with it," Saunders said.

I'd really have to hear it to judge his tone and everything.

i don't care if it is a 700 page playbook...this is football and these are professional football players! enough excuses already, do you really think al saunders was calling for 2 yard bail outs to the RBs and FBs? There is a difference between being uncomfortable in a system and being bad...brunnell is bad at his job

Here's my take, the offense has been basically inept now for at least two seasons, going into it's third. We've had, since then, new players, and new offensive coordinators, all of whom have been succesful at one time in their careers. The one consistent factor, that has been a part of the inept offense over the last three seaons, has been Brunell.

He just doesn't have "it" anymore. I'm really, really scared that Gibbs just doesn't realize this. Everytime, the Cowboys, Eagles, Giants, call and all out blitz, I know the play is over, because Brunell will be pack peddling and just throwing the ball away. I can't remember the last time he stood in the pocket, stepeed into the throw, knowing he was going to have to take hit to complete a pass. He never does it.

There is no future with Brunell. This has got be his last year. It's time to start Campbell, take his licks, and hope he is a good as we think he can be.

Archived