Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Very Telling Quote of Saunders' Frustration

Cracklock81

He was crappy in 2001. In 2002 and beyond, he was incredible.

If you look up the quotes from Green during the 2001 season, you'll find out that things were not exactly happy in KC.

I don't know that I would say Greene was Crappy in 2001. He certainly threw too many INTs that year (24) and that is reflected in his QB rating but he played a lot of catch up football that year. He threw 24 INTs but he also threw 17 TDs. He threw for almost 3800 yards that year, completed 56.6% of his passes, which was not great but considering it was a new offense, not too bad. Priest actually rushed for over 1500 hards that year and caught another 600+ so you figure, he had over 2000 all purpose yards. In fact, that offense averaged something like 20 pts a game. Problem is, they gave up something like 22 so I don't know that the offense or Greene was the problem. If I recall, he played very well against the Skins that year so I would say that he did pretty good considering. I think you just have to be patient with Saunders. His offense works. You just gotta get the right pieces and learn the offense. It will produce for you in time.

Brunell does not have a year to waste in learning it. His physical abilities are almost gone as it is. Why have unnecessary patience with him when he'll be gone anyway by the time he 'gets' it? Campbell is our future and I think he deserves the chance himself. I mean, he can't be much worse than Brunell now, so why not stay - at worst- the same at the QB position now but set us up for the future at the same time?

Gibbs drafted Campbell knowing that he would be Brunell's successor as the Redskins' starting QB. I don't think Gibbs has ever been particularly blown away by Mark, but he at least is comfortable with Mark's decision making. However, it was apparent last night (partly because of inefficient pass blocking) that Mark no longer has the physical skills to make plays with his legs or downfield with his arm.

I think Saunders realizes this and his comments were in frustration to the pass blocking problems. Older quarterbacks (Warner, Green) will always have problems with that kind of blocking. However, I think Gibbs will be reluctant to make Campbell the starter for two reasons. First, he restored a winning attitude the end of last year and wants to continue that into leading this team to the playoffs and a Super Bowl run. Also, I think he's concerned about the psyche of Jason Campbell. He doesn't want to bring him along too quickly, particularly if he's going to have the pressure to score many points due to an underperforming defensive unit and weak pass blocking by the offensive line. The situation is complicated even more by a banged up Portis not being in the lineup to keep the opposing defenses honest.

All these things being said, I seriously wonder how much faith Al Saunders has in Brunell. Remember, he was not here last year and all he has seen is Brunell's performance in the pre-season and first two games. Saunders believes he has the weapons to make it work. Otherwise, he wouldn't accept the position and risk tarnishing his reputation an an offensive genius. Hopefully Portis can get healthy quickly and restore some order to this offense. If things don't get better quickly, we'll be 1-4.....and that will probably mark the beginning of the Jason Campbell era.

Why do you think we weren't shifting as much as we did in the Vikings game? And I don't mean sending guys in motion, I mean actually formation shifts, multiple player shifts. Anybody else notice?

I don't know about the Vikings game but it looked to me as if you guys were trying to use a bit more of a protection scheme then anything. It was clear, at least to me, that you had to limit your offense, which was basically already limited without Portis, and shorten up in your passing game, just a bit. Because you don't have that go to back that really makes your offense click available to you right now, I think you guys probably shortened up your offensive sets as best you could. Just didn't work out is all.

How many times last night were we in 3rd and 8 or 3rd and 9 and you thought to yourself, "No frickin way we get this! No shot!" simply because of Brunell?? 3rd and 8 might as well be 3rd and 24 with Brunell in there.

Saunder's quote is a pretty intersting one. It speaks volumes, if I'm reading between the lines correctly. The questions become.... Does he have any pull when it comes to personnel? Does he think Jason Campbell is a better option??

Really, if Joe Gibbs and Company look at the game film and don't believe that Jason Campbell can do better, then what the hell is.............. (you know what, I don't want complete that thought)

]']I completely forgot that Warner only took a year to go into history with this offense. Tells you something about Brunell.

No offense to Brunell' date=' but he's just inconsistant, and is just one of those "Get it done" type guys. Hence the lack of jewelry on his fingers.[/quote']

Unfortunately, Gibbs think Brunell is All-World, hence he threw away a high 3rd round (#69) pick for Brunell.

With that pick we could easily bolster the Skins pass rush by getting DE Jared Allen (#69) of KC and T Max Starks (#78) of Steelers.

I don't know about the Vikings game but it looked to me as if you guys were trying to use a bit more of a protection scheme then anything. It was clear, at least to me, that you had to limit your offense, which was basically already limited without Portis, and shorten up in your passing game, just a bit. Because you don't have that go to back that really makes your offense click available to you right now, I think you guys probably shortened up your offensive sets as best you could. Just didn't work out is all.

we had three wr's on the field for probably 80% of the plays. what were they doing every time... running stop patterns? run blocking every time? they werent all running two yard patterns, we wouldve seen them when brunell threw dumpoffs to the fb.

i think that sorta shows it. how many times did anyone actually SEE lloyd or moss on tv last night? because every pass went 5 yards, so it seems clear to me that since those guys werent on the screen, they were probably somewhere downfield

There was an interview not too long ago...it may have been the 1st pre or post game in which Mark was crying about how difficult learning a new offensive system has been for him.

That being the case, we should trade and get Trent Green ... He is a pro with this system, and is a much better QB - more mobile, accurate with a stronger arm than Mark.

We could ship off some of the RBs, and a linebacker or give KC a couple of draft choices.

Time is now!

we had three wr's on the field for probably 80% of the plays. what were they doing every time... running stop patterns? run blocking every time? they werent all running two yard patterns, we wouldve seen them when brunell threw dumpoffs to the fb.

i think that sorta shows it. how many times did anyone actually SEE lloyd or moss on tv last night? because every pass went 5 yards, so it seems clear to me that since those guys werent on the screen, they were probably somewhere downfield

Well, I didn't say everybody was running quick outs. I said I thought you shortened up your passing game. How many deep passes did Brunnell throw last night? Most were short to intermediate from what I saw. If you can't stretch the field, it's hard to run or use the TEs effectively, which is what Saunders offense staples on. At least, that is what I observed.

That being the case, we should trade and get Trent Green ... He is a pro with this system, and is a much better QB - more mobile, accurate with a stronger arm than Mark. We could ship off some of the RBs, and a linebacker or give KC a couple of draft choices.

Time is now!

:jerk::applause:

Yah lets trade the team for Trent Green!

Anyways.

I don't know that I would say Greene was Crappy in 2001. He certainly threw too many INTs that year (24) and that is reflected in his QB rating but he played a lot of catch up football that year. He threw 24 INTs but he also threw 17 TDs. He threw for almost 3800 yards that year, completed 56.6% of his passes, which was not great but considering it was a new offense, not too bad. Priest actually rushed for over 1500 hards that year and caught another 600+ so you figure, he had over 2000 all purpose yards. In fact, that offense averaged something like 20 pts a game. Problem is, they gave up something like 22 so I don't know that the offense or Greene was the problem. If I recall, he played very well against the Skins that year so I would say that he did pretty good considering. I think you just have to be patient with Saunders. His offense works. You just gotta get the right pieces and learn the offense. It will produce for you in time.

Hehe, I'd say it's relatively crappy compared to his overall performance with the Redskins, Rams, and Chiefs.

I can't really give Trent Green that much credit for beating the Redskins that year being that we would go 0-5 that year. Without Preist Holmes, I doubt they would have finished better than 6-10 that year.

Of course if Brunell fails to improve in the 2nd half, we'll see Campbell, who will definately struggle as well.

Hehe, I'd say it's relatively crappy compared to his overall performance with the Redskins, Rams, and Chiefs.

I can't really give Trent Green that much credit for beating the Redskins that year being that we would go 0-5 that year. Without Preist Holmes, I doubt they would have finished better than 6-10 that year.

Of course if Brunell fails to improve in the 2nd half, we'll see Campbell, who will definately struggle as well.

Without Priest Holmes, I would guess that they would have looked a great deal like the Skinz offense right now. I mentioned this earlier but Saunders uses a great deal of RB and TE in his passing game. I'd say that his offense runs off of using the RB in the passing game, as well as the running game. He goes through his RBs pretty fast because when he finds the right one, he uses them a lot. KC only won like 6 games that year but they were pretty competative. Just couldn't hold on in a lot of games.

Wow, this is almost the same way we started last year, with troubles on offense.

Every report I've heard about Saunders offense is that its 700 pages long and every QB thats been in the system said it takes a year to learn. Trent Green told that to Brunell also. So I expect growing pains throughout the season.

Was the offense that bad last year that it needed to be overhauled?

We had some bad outings in the playoffs but did Brunell not have his best year?

Did Portis not break the redskins single season rushing record?

Did Moss not break the redskins single season receiving record?

Cooley also had a standout year.

Do a couple of bad games in the playoffs really need a offense to be overhauled and have a team learn a new playbook and one that is 700 pages at that!

The answer is no. And it's what i've been thinking for a while. I don;t understand the redskins management.

Your talent on offense is not the same caliber of st louis or kansas city. Not just QB, the running bqacks, oline, wrs and tes are all not as talented. Madden said it best when he said they don't have the right personel.

Madden was specifically talking about Brunell.

BTW, our WRs dwarf anything that KC ever had under Saunders.

Archived