Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Saunders reminded by Portis & Moss on Ultra Conservative Play Callings??

GibbssbbiG

Link: http://home.hamptonroads.com/stories/story.cfm?story=111022&ran=187649

Moss has been asked to dissect every nuance of that night (SEP 2005) at Texas Stadium. He's done his best to comply, starting with the opinion that had he not done some major whining about the play-calling midway through the fourth quarter, the game-winning plays never would have been called.

"We'd practiced this one play all week, and we hadn't called it yet and it was there," Moss remembered.

cheers.gif

He recalls running back Clinton Portis going to coach Joe Gibbs and telling him, 'Tana's over there saying that play's open.' " thumbsup.gif

On fourth-and-15 from the Dallas 39 with 3:46 to play, Gibbs called it and Moss got behind the secondary to score. After the defense held, Gibbs called it again. This time, quarterback Mark Brunell and Moss connected from 70 yards with 2:35 remaining.

My concerns:

The conservative (dink and dunk) play calling will cause us to lose this Dallas game.

How did Saunders call 3 WR screens to Moss all in 1 game (vs Vikings)?

Didn't Saunders say he never calls the same play twice until 4 games later?

doh.gifdoh.gif

Playing or not, Portis is better be standing on the sideline to remind Gibbs and Saunders about the ultra conservative play calling, and start calling aggressive plays early in the game.

Waiting for last minutes, being down by 2 or 3 TDs will not work this time as in (SEP 2005).

If you go back and watch again, I'm sure that you will see that each WR screen to Moss was actually entirely different plays. Same result to some extent, but we were always lined up differently, and we hit him in different spots.

If you go back and watch again, I'm sure that you will see that each WR screen to Moss was actually entirely different plays. Same result to some extent, but we were always lined up differently, and we hit him in different spots.

No Disrespect Really, but this sounds like a load of BS lol...

Obviously, the line up and the spots had to be different.

Heck, the Vikings defense were lining up differently.

If I recalled correctly...

- Why were those WR screens all called on the same side (left)?

- The last 2 of the WR screens were not working.

Didn't we lose some yardage? :redpunch:

We are talking about Al Saunders here. The best OC for the last 3 years, right?

Conservative play calling or not, we blew it on 3rd down on both sides of the ball which is what lost us the game. This led to our defense getting worn down and us running out of time. I would have gone for the first down on 4th and 1 instead of going for the field goal but that wasn't the story of the game. The Skins will not beat the Cowboys with 3rd down performances such as those against the Vikings.

On top of that though, it is true that Saunders never had wide receivers of this calibur with the Chiefs (Gonzales doesn't count). He needs to start stretching the field like the Pats did when they had their trio of top calibur receivers, especially with Portis not playing.

Don't be afraid to throw the ball downfield Al!!!
There was way too much East-West in our offense against the Vikings, for my taste. ...

With all that said about being ultra conservative, Saunders must deploy the ultra unpredictable play calling.

I definitely wish Saunders will be wise and call for power rush and using the Jumbo package (TJ Duckett, Sellers, Cooley, and 1 TE or OL) early in the game even though the Skins are not in goal line situation, at least the first two series of offensive plays (at least 6 straight power rushes).

Especially when the Skins are facing the 3rd down and (1, 2, 3, 4, 5) yards.

We must rush, and be patient and not pass yet.

We must show Power Rush early in the game (1st quarter).

If we have to punt for the first two series of offensive plays, then so be it.

3 purposes for the early Jumbo package.

1. We need to send a message to the Cowboys that we are playing smash mouth football.

2. We need to slow down their pass rush.

3. Most importantly, we need to set the Dallas up when (TJ Duckett, Sellers, Cooley) are in the game.

When Dallas are starting to crowd the LoS with 8 or 9 men in the box, then we will play action to Cooley, next Santana and Llyod here come the bombs.

Anyway just my :2cents:

If Saunders and Gibbs are playing NOT to lose, then Dallas will badly beat the Skins.

We may get blown out by Dallas with a final score of 45 - 6.

If that happen, then get ready for a long depressed season.

Obviously, the line up and the spots had to be different.

Heck, the Vikings defense were lining up differently.

If I recalled correctly...

- Why were those WR screens all called on the same side (left)?

- The last 2 of the WR screens were not working.

Didn't we lose some yardage? :redpunch:

We are talking about Al Saunders here. The best OC for the last 3 years, right?

For the record, Moss ended up leading the team in yardage, and last year Cooley sometimes ran that screen to perfection.

I'm not a fan of the play personally, but you have to admit we have the perfect WR for that play in the entire league. That's why we have to call it. It's like having ARE and not letting him do a reverse-option a few times a year. It won't always work, but sometimes when it's all lined up correctly it works to perfection.

I had an argument with a Steelers fan that they will miss ARE because he brought that one element to their team, and you can't deny that it pushed them over the top last year. Without Moss, I would bury the WR screen, but with him, you can't help but run it. Twice last year he took that play to the house. Once for 80 yards. If we didn't have that play last year, who's to say we would still have those two TD's?

It's easy to complain about the playcalling in a loss. To this day, I have not heard a single Redskins fan criticize us for last year's MNF game against Dallas, even though we looked atrocious for 3 1/2 quarters. I know a lot of people hate that WR screen, but they didn't seem to hate it halfway through the KC game last year.

Don't be surprised to see that play end up being a ARE option in the future.

For the record, Moss ended up leading the team in yardage, and last year Cooley sometimes ran that screen to perfection.

.... Don't be surprised to see that play end up being a ARE option in the future.

No, I don't mind the WR screen play. I think it is a good play for us.

The problem is the Saunders' play calling.

If I am not mistaken, ....

Calling it 3x in one game and all on the SAME SIDE and all on the SAME player?? :doh: :doh:

If you want to call it for more than 1x per game, then -- why can Saunders call the WR screen on ARE or Cooley on different side??

Want to win the game?

Duckett off tackle 4 yards

Duckett off tackle 4 yards (1st down)

Deep to Moss 15 yards (1st down)

Duckett off tackle, Deep pass

AD INFINITUM

Wear down their D-line with a healthy dose or Mr. Duckett

Don't be afraid to throw the ball downfield Al!!!

AMEN!

We didn't take any shots downfield last week. When I say shots I'm talking about Moss 30+ downfield. We've got some badass receivers and we're throwing little dump passes. LIGHT EM UP AL! If we burn them deep a few times Dallas will have no choice but get some guys out of the box and assist with coverage. If they do that the running game opens up and Cooley is a threat. The running game gets going, they move guys back up in the box and we go deep again. It a viscious circle that we definitely have the players to execute. DAMNIT AL GO DEEP! :dallasuck

Want to win the game?

Duckett off tackle 4 yards (1st down)

Deep to Moss 15 yards (1st down)

Duckett off tackle, Deep pass

AD INFINITUM

Wear down their D-line with a healthy dose or Mr. Duckett

In Duckett we trust. Right down the Cowturds throats. Has to be done.

My concerns:

I think he said he never calls the same play out of the same formation twice in a game. And you wont see that same play/formation for another 4 games or so. Vermil said he thought that was overkill.

One thing a lot of people don't realize is, Gibbs never executed the plays (the offense did). Lots of pass plays have the potential to be non-conservative, but for whatever reason, Brunell rarely takes the chance. Saunders may appear more conservative here, too, because the quarterback is conservative. I'm not saying it's necessarily a bad thing, either. I think Brunell plays smart. He knows his limits. When Campbell gets in there, we'll probably look like a completely different team, though.

Clint

One thing a lot of people don't realize is, Gibbs never executed the plays (the offense did). Lots of pass plays have the potential to be non-conservative, but for whatever reason, Brunell rarely takes the chance. Saunders may appear more conservative here, too, because the quarterback is conservative. I'm not saying it's necessarily a bad thing, either. I think Brunell plays smart. He knows his limits. When Campbell gets in there, we'll probably look like a completely different team, though.

Clint

I think you hit the nail on the head with this comment. I couldn't agree more, but I do think that sometimes Brunell doesn't even go through his reads and just throws it to the checkdown. This was really noticeable versus the Vikings on multiple plays.

Archived