Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Our offense was a beautiful thing

TSO

Yup... I said it. I know a lot of us here are too busy wallowing in our misery to actually put on our thinking caps and use them. I know a lot of us just like complaining too. It's just the American way nowadays, what, with all of our luxuries.

Here's the thing. Every play on offense caught the defense on its heels. You can just tell. They never knew what we were going to come with next and it was obvious. Even on plain old runs up the middle we we're faking reverses to ARE/Santana and the defense kept backing up to make sure they read it right. You know what that means? Dallas will have a tough time coaching its defense against us, as will any team, by using film. We we're calling great pass plays that got our playmakers open, the only problem was that Brunell kept getting flushed out of the pocket too soon to allow the routes to develop properly and allow him to make the right pass. Not a problem, cuz our O-line will only get better. So what do we do? We call a lot of screen passes and hitches, and they worked quite well.

WE MOVED THE BALL DOWN THE FIELD LIKE CRAZY. Why has noone else seen this? Why has noone else realized our offense would take the ball with average field position and not, by the way, with great field position handed to us by our defense like last year and move the ball all the way to the redzone. Just imagine had we got those turnovers our defense was so good at giving us last year towards the end? YES, we didn't score the touchdown everytime, but it was due to the way we played most of the time and NOT because Minny's defense was just too good. Once again, those kinks can be worked out. Last year Gibbs turned us into the one of the best redzone offenses in the league, and I'm sure his input will once again go a long way.

When Mcnabb throws, on almost every drive, three screen passes to Westbrook and goes all the way down field he's called amazing. When Brunell does it... he sucks. When it counted most, Brunell made some great plays down field. I'm in the least bit worried about our QB situation. He played just as well as Brad Johnson did yesterday... we just didn't have that well of a thrid down conversion rate which has a lot to do with the fact that we we're moving the ball on both first and second down a lot more than they were. They HAD to convert on third down cuz our defense gave them nothing on second and third. On third down, it's really all on the DB's and our Safeties... who will only get better as they play more with each other. Not to mention we we were missing our most important CB. Goodness.

The real difference was their ability to run the ball on us late in the fourth and then kick the field goal. Time of possession was about the same for both of our teams until that drive. That is our biggest problem right now. Some aspects of our defense. Aspects I believe will get worked out too.

I'm not sure I understand some of our fans here. I know it hurt to lose like that. I know we paid big money for big things and, therefore, big things should occur. I know anticipation for our team is at an all time high... but come on, why the blindness?

Why was I, even though Hall missed the field goal, still smiling about everything? Whay was I consoling my wife, who is actually a Broncos fan, about the loss and it wasn't the other way around? (I'm not braggin or being arrogant here, cuz I know there are thousands like me).

Because I saw something beautiful. Something I didn't see nearly as much last year. And it's only going to get better. I know most of you feel me... you're just quietly navigating these boards like I usually do. We're just not as vocal as the pessimistics; a characteristic based on impatience and anxiousness. ;)

Let's Go Redskins.

The one thing I noticed at the game is when our offense got on the field for the first time, everyone around got up and had thier eyes locked.

People were actually gettin excited at all the intial motions and formations in our first series. I even heard some "ooohhhs" It was like a kid seing Santa Clause drop down the chimney.

Any one else notice this?

I like what I saw w/ the new offense, when we were motioning and shifting. We did good the 1st half and keeping the Vikings guessing. The 2nd half we didn't do as much shifting and we seemed to not convert on 3rd downs b/c of it.

Its a work in progress w/ a whole new system, we seemed like we will be very hard to coach against b/c we run so many different things. I like when we come out of the huddle and our wr's are motioning and keeping the D on its heels, fb's and te's our interchangeable so they are motioning, its seemed to work well. Like I said, we didn't do it enough in the 2nd half to keep them guessing. We will only get better, promise you that. I still belive we can finish w/ 10 wins, at least. :dallasuck

Everything was there you would want to see game one except the red zone conversions/third down on D.

Both will be fixed next week (partly due not having to face that Minnie O line again)

Good post, I agree wholeheartedly.

And yeah I was 'oooh'ing on that first drive with all the motion :D

I like what I've seen out of the offense but Brunell has to be more willing to take some shots. Also, I like the passing but think we have to commit to running the ball more. With Priest Holmes and Larry Johnson, the Chiefs controlled the ball running and complimented that with passing; thats what we need this year and thats also the personality which made us successful last year.

Look on the bright side. We're not the Bucs, Packers or Raiders, who all got blanked this weekend. Our QB didn't throw 3 Ints like the Cowboys did.

So, we have some work to do. But, we still had enough positive things that happened to feel optomistic that with a handful of things go differently in the game last night and we route the Vikings.

I mean, the pass interference on Marcus Washington was bogus (which lead to points), the personal foul on Sean Taylor was TOTAL BS (which gave them the field position advantage).

Looked nice at times....looked awful at times. Seemed predictable inside the 10. I would have liked to see some spread 4 wide formations where we run the ball....especially down inside the 10 where they have 756 players all crowding the LOS on our jumbo packages. The spread forms make players clear out the middle of the field due to forcing the WR's to be covered.

Did we have some nice passing plays? sure...nice runs...sure....we had those last year.

We were one less turnover equaling one more TD better than what we were last year vs. the Bears in the opener and that can be attributed to the tuff Bears D.

Pound for pound the overall production wasnt much better if any than what the O was at any point last year. Sure we have more "talent" but "talent" doesnt win games if you cant get "it" the ball.

We can get better...thats what we are all waiting and hopeing for...i think. :D

Archived