Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Never Forget

Pete

On September 11th, I was working across the street from the White House. I was there when the Secret Service told everyone another plane was coming in and to run away. I stood looking across the Potomac as the Pentagon burned. I was supposed to fly out of Dulles on September 12. I joined the military a year after. I think I have the right to say just about anything I want to today.

wtc%209-11-2001%20by%20Crystal%20Passarotti%20-%20reduced.jpg

On September 11th, I was working across the street from the White House. I was there when the Secret Service told everyone another plane was coming in and to run away. I stood looking across the Potomac as the Pentagon burned. I was supposed to fly out of Dulles on September 12. I joined the military a year after. I think I have the right to say just about anything I want to today.

wtc%209-11-2001%20by%20Crystal%20Passarotti%20-%20reduced.jpg

your not the only one who was part of the events Military wise.. but keep you views and beliefs out of this thread and put it in another one.. This one is for memory. If you cant understand that I dont know what to say. This has nothing to do what you have and havent earned

I was on temporary duty at Langley AFB, VA. Like everyone else, it started as a regular day for me, although I was tired from staying up to watch Band of Brothers

Then someone came by the section and said a plane had hit the WTC. As controllers, we all thought it was either a small plane, a crappy pilot, crappy weather or a combo of the above factors.

Nobody got up to go to the Big screen in the conference room. After a few minutes, I came to a good place to stop working and went down there, as did some other people. When I saw it was a clear day in New York, the first thought of terrorism came into my head. Nobody gets THAT far off course.

Just about that time the other plane hit and I **** you not, about 10 people in that room, from Airmen to Col's, all said "ragheads" in unison.

Then the Pentagon got hit, and people really started to get the picture. We locked the base down and started to fire up the F-15's, but a we know now, it was all too late. Still, we had no idea how many other planes were going to be turned into missiles all over the country, so the base launched anyway

Helplessness is one of the ****tiest feelings there is. Here I was, part of the world's largest Air Force, and there was nothing I could do to help. I wasn't even near my own base. My comrades were busy getting planes out of the skies and I was helping to secure a building.

I'm just glad in the months and years that followed I was able to help get rid of some of the *******s that did this to us. I hope it helps some of the innocent from that day rest a little easier

Hopefully we'll never again have to experience something this horriffic again

Rest in Peace my lost Americans

Published Wednesday, September 12, 2001

The Miami Herald

Leonard Pitts

We'll go forward from this moment

It's my job to have something to say.

They pay me to provide words that help make sense of

that which troubles the American soul. But in this moment of

airless shock when hot tears sting disbelieving eyes, the only

thing I can find to say, the only words that seem to fit, must be

addressed to the unknown author of this suffering.

You monster. You beast. You unspeakable *******.

What lesson did you hope to teach us by your coward's

attack on our World Trade Center, our Pentagon, us? What was it

you hoped we would learn? Whatever it was, please know that you

failed.

Did you want us to respect your cause? You just

damned your cause.

Did you want to make us fear? You just steeled our

resolve.

Did you want to tear us apart? You just brought us

together.

Let me tell you about my people. We are a vast and

quarrelsome family, a family rent by racial, social, political

and class division, but a family nonetheless. We're frivolous, yes, capable

of expending tremendous emotional energy on pop cultural minutiae

-- a singer's revealing dress, a ball team's misfortune, a cartoon

mouse. We're wealthy, too, spoiled by the ready availability of

trinkets and material goods, and maybe because of that, we walk through

life with a certain sense of blithe entitlement. We are

fundamentally decent,though -- peace-loving and compassionate. We struggle

to know the right thing and to do it. And we are, the

overwhelming majority of us, people of faith, believers in a just and loving

God.

Some people -- you, perhaps -- think that any or all

of this makes us weak. You're mistaken. We are not weak. Indeed, we

are strong in ways that cannot be measured by arsenals.

IN PAIN

Yes, we're in pain now. We are in mourning and we are

in shock. We're still grappling with the unreality of the awful

thing you did, still working to make ourselves understand that this isn't

a special effect from some Hollywood blockbuster, isn't the plot

development from a Tom Clancy novel. Both in terms of the awful scope of

their ambition and the probable final death toll, your attacks are

likely to go down as the worst acts of terrorism in the history of the

United States and probably, the history of the world. You've bloodied

us as we have never been bloodied before.

But there's a gulf of difference between making us

bloody and making us fall. This is the lesson Japan was taught to its

bitter sorrow the last time anyone hit us this hard, the last time

anyone brought us such abrupt and monumental pain. When roused, we are

righteous in our outrage, terrible in our force. When provoked by

this level of barbarism, we will bear any suffering, pay any cost,

go to any length, in the pursuit of justice.

I tell you this without fear of contradiction. I know

my people, as you, I think, do not. What I know reassures me. It also

causes me to tremble with dread of the future.

In the days to come, there will be recrimination and

accusation, fingers pointing to determine whose failure allowed

this to happen and what can be done to prevent it from happening

again. There will be heightened security, misguided talk of revoking

basic freedoms. We'll go forward from this moment sobered, chastened,

sad. But determined, too. Unimaginably determined.

THE STEEL IN US

You see, the steel in us is not always readily

apparent. That aspect of our character is seldom understood by people who

don't know us well. On this day, the family's bickering is put on

hold.

As Americans we will weep, as Americans we will

mourn, and as Americans, we will rise in defense of all that we

cherish.

So I ask again: What was it you hoped to teach us? It

occurs to me that maybe you just wanted us to know the depths of

your hatred. If that's the case, consider the message received. And

take this message in exchange: You don't know my people. You

don't know what we're capable of. You don't know what you just

started.

But you're about to learn.

I shall never forget this dreadful day five years ago. That was the worst event to happen in my lifetime. The image that disturbs me the most is all the victims that jumped out of the twin towers. Another image that disturbs me (more like pisses me off) is I remember 5 years ago all those b*stards in Pakistan celebrating on the streets after the attack, burning American flags.

I am proud to be an American and I am proud to serve this country as a member of the United States Armed Forces. If I ever get called upon, I give you my word, I won't let you guys down. America will win this war on terrorism and shall remain strong. I want to thank all of you who are also currently serving in the military or have done so in the past. Also I want to thank everyone who supportsthis country and the military. May God bless you all.

Let us not forget those who perished this day five years ago, nor let us forget our firemen, policemen, and servicemen that have perished on any other day before or since. Today as I go to class at GMU, even though I am a full time student, and dont have to wear my uniform- I'm going to wear my ACU's just in my own little, very small tribute to those who gave all, and continue to do so today so that we can sit back, forget our troubles and enjoy life (like the skins whooping it on tonight!!) Thanks to all of the policemen out there especially- I wouldn't want your job and I'm glad you are here for us!!!

I shall never forget this dreadful day five years ago. That was the worst event to happen in my lifetime. The image that disturbs me the most is all the victims that jumped out of the twin towers. Another image that disturbs me (more like pisses me off) is I remember 5 years ago all those b*stards in Pakistan celebrating on the streets after the attack, burning American flags.

I am proud to be an American and I am proud to serve this country as a member of the United States Armed Forces. If I ever get called upon, I give you my word, I won't let you guys down. America will win this war on terrorism and shall remain strong. I want to thank all of you who are also currently serving in the military or have done so in the past. Also I want to thank everyone who supportsthis country and the military. May God bless you all.

Thanks for the support man---know that without the support of the American people our Soldiers couldnt do the amazing things that do, just because it is the right thing to do!

I remember getting a call from my wife to turn the TV on... a plane had hit the WTC.

Just like Sarge above, I kind of thought not that big a deal, probably just a small crop duster/commute plane/whatever.

So I put the TV on the today show and I was shocked to see flames billowing out of the tower. It was more than just a commuter plane. It was a tragedy. The correspondents on the Today show were talking to aviation experts about how a plane could have veered off course, etc. Nobody really was talking about terrorism, but there were some questions about whether or not it was intentional. Nobody really wanted to believe it though.

Very next thing, of course... 2nd plane crashes into the WTC. There is NO doubt that something is up. Who's attacking us? Why? What's going on? Is this a hoax? A dream? Journalists were asking the same questions among all of the confusion and chaos going on that day.

For some reason, I decided to get in my car and go to work. I tuned into my same station I listen to every morning... they were reporting that the Pentagon had been hit, the Treasury, etc... and that Washington DC was burning.

At that time the local station switched over to ABC news. I drove to work in a zombie like state, wondering truly if this was the end of the United States as we know it. (keep in mind, the info I had was that all of DC was burning)

Anyways, I never did see the towers fall. But when they did, I said to hell with it, and I went home. I was glued to the TV set for a week straight.

I'll never forget. God Bless those who gave their life for this country.

"For as long as it takes, whatever it takes...we will always remember."

I will never forget where I was that day. I was in my boss's office because I had put in my 2 weeks when his wife called and said someone had bombed the WTC. It didn't seem like it was some trememdous event, it had happened before, that is until the second plane hit.

I remember the General Manager coming out and saying that it was UBL that did it. I said innocently "who's Usama Bin Laden?"

10-5-01_STEEL_CROSS_BEAM_FOUND_IN_RUBBLE.jpg

Return of the Duke

It is so important to remember how we felt on that day. The shock, the sadness, the Anger. It is also important to remember how we reacted the next day. Love, Compassion, Helping our Neighbor and realizing new hero's. It is also important to keep those feelings in the forefront now. It is easy to forget how we felt that day when War sought us out instead of us seeking out war.

With all the distractions like the President like him or hate him, all the news of the economy and horrible natural disasters we cannot forget that while we sit here and critique our country and its decisions there hundreds of thousands of people who are still fighting for that day. They are soldiers weather they are Privates or Generals, Cooks or Special Ops they are fighting to protect what we love.

9/11 change my life in many ways from career to family and I have many brothers still fighting for this country and remembering 9/11 also renews thier resolve of what they are doing.

And I would like to add...

The very act of thinking that these attacks were carried out by our own government or that they are part of some larger conspiracy is insulting to the memory of those we lost that day.

I can't think of a more relevant thread for AFC's comments. A key to remembering that day is to ensure that the memory of our fallen Americans isn't tarnished by a bunch of retards with tinfoil hats.

But that's just my opinion.

And I would like to add...

The very act of thinking that these attacks were carried out by our own government or that they are part of some larger conspiracy is insulting to the memory of those we lost that day.

I can't think of a more relevant thread for AFC's comments. A key to remembering that day is to ensure that the memory of our fallen Americans isn't tarnished by a bunch of retards with tinfoil hats.

But that's just my opinion.

:applause:

couldnt agree more... all of the conspiracy theorists out there are trampling on the graves of 3,000 dead americans

i have never looked forward to the aniversary of pearl harbor, nor 9-11. everytime i see the images, hear the voices, watch the video clips on TV, i start to choke up and cry. i remember exactly how it was that day. i was in school, study hall was the class. i remember that alot of kids were being pulled from school by their parents around 10AM. my study hall teacher told us that, "there has been terrorist activity in the area." that was it, that was all we were told, nothing else, so i have no idea whats going on. that was the whole national no TV week, and my parents had decided that for once we would observe it. when i came home the TV was on, my dad was home from work and my mom was weeping. i knew then that something was horribly wrong. that evening i took an American flag and stood on a corner in ashburn for hours, until it got dark. there was a candle light vigil at my church. the next day there was no school, it was the worst day off from anything ive ever had in my life, and probably, and hopefully, ill never have any expirience quite like it.

there is no way anyone can rationalize such despicable acts, to take the lives of 3000 inocent people who did absolutely nothing and had no connection to their murderers, orchestrated by hiding, masked cowards. today (well yesterday now) is a somber day, one that should never be forgotten. but remember my fellow countrymen, that every moment we dispair other than this day is a victory for those vile fiends in the east, and the greatest tribute to those 3000 innocents is to everyday live out your life the best you can for everyone around you, enjoy the freedom that you have and that they can never take away from us.

Every day. Every day. It's five years later and I still work with a few people who were there, or near there, and with others who suffer from the consequences of that day. Not all show it the same way. Not all wounds get treated with scalpels and bandages. Every day I remember, for my own sense of loss and sorrow, but every day I'm reminded of what happened by someone who hurts much more than I do. And all I can do is anything I can.

Every day. Every day. It's five years later and I still work with a few people who were there, or near there, and with others who suffer from the consequences of that day. Not all show it the same way. Not all wounds get treated with scalpels and bandages. Every day I remember, for my own sense of loss and sorrow, but every day I'm reminded of what happened by someone who hurts much more than I do. And all I can do is anything I can.

God Bless You Jumbo,and everyone else who copes with their loss on a daily basis. I definitely will never forget. It was a shock to see the buildings go down like they did. I was hoping everyone made it out when I saw it, never realizing just how big the buildings were until it was over.

Some nice pics by the other posters by the way.

Archived