Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

To Tell Or Not To Tell--Advice Needed ASAP

CoachingWinsChampionships

I had football practice this morning at 7:00 AM. I drove there and as I was squeezing into a parking spot, I scraped one of my teammates cars. He wasn't real mad or anything, but it happened. My car had no damage, just a little paint scrape. His car had a small, small dent (neither of us even saw it the first time--his dad noticed it after he got home) and paint scrape just above the back left wheel. His car is an old Camry(not sure of the year, but definitely more than 6-7 years), mines an old Altima('97).

My problem is that I don't want to tell my parents about it. I have about $300, maybe $350, that I saved up to pay for a ticket to a NFL game this year. I left it with my friend as he will get an estimate on it and give me a number on Monday or Tuesday. Should I wait on telling my parents in the hopes that I can just give my friend the cash and they'll never know about it, or tell my parents right now in case the price is more than I have right now and they can cover me (I'll be paying for the damage myself eventually anyway, of course)?

Is it unreasonable to expect under $300 for that damage? Also, what should I do about insurance? Would I get points for an accident while parking like this?

Please help ASAP, my dad will be home in a couple of hours.

Its not a big deal, why are you worried?

Probably mostly because it's the first time any accident of any kind has happened to me--I've only had my license for four months and only been driving for about 10 months. I just think that my dad will be pissed and not let me drive for a while, or ground me. Maybe you're right... I've got to think about that. That's why I started this thread, but I'm still not sure, any other advice would be appreciated. Thanks Liberty.

Tell your parents...you seem to be a responsible young man, and it should not be a major thing,unless you try to cover it up.

The cost? hard to say,but should be under $500,probably much less and it would not hurt to ask for more than one estimate.

There should not be any points from a parking lot accident ,unless you make a claim.

**** happens...don't make it worse than it is,unless your parents unreasonable.

Yea, tell them. You're actually a bit "lucky" so to say. Better to learn from small mistakes than larger ones. Atleast its not like the situation I was in when someone hit my car once.

I was pulling out of a stop sign and a speeding SUV just barely clipped my front bumper. It pretty much just grazed it WITH THEIR TIRE. I was pissed. They kept moving too...but atleast there wasn't anything major...just some black tire marks that came off the front bumper.

Tell your parents. They should be understanding in this case. And let them know that you are prepared to take care of it, if they think you ought to.

Small dents don't cost $300 to remove last time I checked anyways...

Yea, tell them. You're actually a bit "lucky" so to say. Better to learn from small mistakes than larger ones.

Tell your parents. They should be understanding in this case. And let them know that you are prepared to take care of it, if they think you ought to.

Small dents don't cost $300 to remove last time I checked anyways...

I have no idea how much it should cost... that's part of my problem. I've heard stories of outrageous prices for seemingly tiny amounts of damage. I've pretty much made my mind up to tell them as the vote seems to be unanimous. Actually, I'm about to walk downstairs right now and tell my mom right now before my dad gets home...she's easier to deal with. Wish me luck.

You need to do the right thing - the right thing is never dependent on whats 'best for me', it is what it is. Theres only one right answer - you already know you should tell them, so stop letting the weak part of your brain try to convince you otherwise.

You need to do the right thing - the right thing is never dependent on whats 'best for me', it is what it is. Theres only one right answer - you already know you should tell them, so stop letting the weak part of your brain try to convince you otherwise.

I agree with you entirely, but I am sometimes weak, as everyone is. I read your post right after I told my mom about it. Looking back, I can see that I was going to tell them all along, I was just looking for a little courage from all of you guys. Honestly, there's no visible damage to my car. They would have never known about it or noticed anything had I just payed off the kid. But you're right Tarhog... all of you are, I had to tell them. Thanks for getting my ass up out of this chair. Thank you.

:cheers:

You're doing yourself a favor by being straight forward and telling your parents. They might be mad at you at first, but in the end they'll appreciate your honesty.

Also remember, no matter how good an excuse you come up with, in the end the truth will always come to the surface and you'll be worse off than you would have been had you been honest in the first place.

I have no idea how much it should cost... that's part of my problem. I've heard stories of outrageous prices for seemingly tiny amounts of damage. I've pretty much made my mind up to tell them as the vote seems to be unanimous. Actually, I'm about to walk downstairs right now and tell my mom right now before my dad gets home...she's easier to deal with. Wish me luck.

That is why you ask for more than one estimate,you can't trust those bloodsucking estimators in a body shop...I know, I am one :D

Seriously,if it's more than $250 ask for 2 or 3 estimates,many times the price varies by the customers attitude :laugh:

BTW, I just thought I'd let everyone know how the conversation went. It went much better than I suspected, but I still have to tell my dad. Luckily, I'll have some support(my mom) there for that one. My mom really didn't say much. I think she's waiting to talk to my dad so that they can be on the same page. We'll see what happens when he gets home. I'll let you all know. I hope your predictions of forgiveness are right, but this is the line that worries me:

**** happens...don't make it worse than it is,unless your parents unreasonable.

Definately tell them. It will be much worse if you don't and they find out, which will inevitably happen. Plus, you will score brownie points for being honest, and you will feel a lot better knowing that you have gotten off your chest and don't have to worry about hiding anything.

Also, your dad may want to go with you over to your friends house and take a look at the damage with his own eyes. Not that he would, but it would be a shame if your friend or his father tried to play the damage off as being worse than what it is. If your dad sees it, he may be able to help you out in a case like this.

That is why you ask for more than one estimate,you can't trust those bloodsucking estimators in a body shop...I know, I am one :D

Seriously,if it's more than $250 ask for 2 or 3 estimates,many times the price varies by the customers attitude :laugh:

Having never been in this situation, how do I handle this since the damage is not to my car. My friend has no incentive to spend his time going to two or three different mechanics for estimates just to save me money (we're not that good of friends). Is it acceptable to ask him to get another estimate? Or is that not his problem unless legal action of some kind is taken...which obviously I want to avoid at all costs(I have to see this kid every day at school and football practice).

I'm sure my dad will know alot, but I'd like to have a good idea of the whole situation before I talk to him.

Also, your dad may want to go with you over to your friends house and take a look at the damage with his own eyes. Not that he would, but it would be a shame if your friend or his father tried to play the damage off as being worse than what it is. If your dad sees it, he may be able to help you out in a case like this.

I have a feeling he will definitely want to do just that, but I doubt(hope) my friend's dad wouldn't try anything like that. He's not poor, he doesn't need the money.

BTW, I just thought I'd let everyone know how the conversation went. It went much better than I suspected, but I still have to tell my dad. Luckily, I'll have some support(my mom) there for that one. My mom really didn't say much. I think she's waiting to talk to my dad so that they can be on the same page. We'll see what happens when he gets home. I'll let you all know. I hope your predictions of forgiveness are right, but this is the line that worries me:

We likely have different standards of "unreasonable", my step-father would beat and stomp you for looking at him wrong,much less costing him money by leaving a light on in daylight. :insane:

I had football practice this morning at 7:00 AM. I drove there and as I was squeezing into a parking spot, I scraped one of my teammates cars. He wasn't real mad or anything, but it happened. My car had no damage, just a little paint scrape. His car had a small, small dent (neither of us even saw it the first time--his dad noticed it after he got home) and paint scrape just above the back left wheel. His car is an old Camry(not sure of the year, but definitely more than 6-7 years), mines an old Altima('97).

My problem is that I don't want to tell my parents about it. I have about $300, maybe $350, that I saved up to pay for a ticket to a NFL game this year. I left it with my friend as he will get an estimate on it and give me a number on Monday or Tuesday. Should I wait on telling my parents in the hopes that I can just give my friend the cash and they'll never know about it, or tell my parents right now in case the price is more than I have right now and they can cover me (I'll be paying for the damage myself eventually anyway, of course)?

Is it unreasonable to expect under $300 for that damage? Also, what should I do about insurance? Would I get points for an accident while parking like this?

Please help ASAP, my dad will be home in a couple of hours.

my brother scraped someone's paint-job one time. it was so minor, we didn't even see any damage when we first went over it. it was that unnoticeable, and it still cost $300

Archived