Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskin fans: ranked 10th in loyalty

CliffBattles

Didn't see it posted anywhere. Pretty fair, but to be ranked third in our division, when we have been selling out games longer than anyone, with the biggest stadium, expensive tix, and even during some really lean years......well we could have been a little higher........but 10th isn't bad.

http://www.bizjournals.com/specials/pages/33.html#l

Division: NFC East

Rank in NFL: 10

Rank in division: 3

The Redskins have been generally disappointing on the field the past decade, struggling through four losing seasons and two more at .500. But you wouldn't know it from Washington's league-leading attendance, 77,308 per game. Fans have filled the stadium to capacity in four of the six years since 2000.

I like a lot of what they are doing here to determine this, but one of the flaws is it doesn't take into consideration of how well a team's fanbase travels to road games.

IIRC, Dallas has by far the longest streak in the NFL of selling out road games and generally Dallas, Pittsburgh, and Green Bay fans travel extremely well compared to the rest of the league.

The only problem is that it's too difficult to determine how many of those fans at road games are fans of the visiting team or the home team's fans.

YAKUZA

This is bullcrap. They have Pittsburgh ranked last in their division? You know that's not true and us placing 3rd is a joke. We've been sold out for over 20 years and have fans nationwide and the Redskins make more money than any other team in the league by selling their paraphernalia. It takes a whole lot of loyal fans for a team to be able to make that much money.

if you read the methodology it makes sense...

Difficulty factors: Forty percent of each team’s score is based on four difficulty factors. A team with a low winning percentage, low market population, low per capita income and low December temperature will do best on this side of the formula. Here’s an explanation of these four difficulty factors:

1. Winning percentage -- Team’s 1996-2005 regular-season record.

2. Market population -- Population of the BEA economic area that includes the team, 2004. The U.S. Bureau of Economic Analysis sets the boundaries for BEA economic areas.

3. Per capita income -- Average income per resident of the BEA economic area, 2004.

4. December temperature -- Average high temperature for the month. Domed-stadium teams are automatically assigned the worst score in this category.

That's why Cleveland is so high.

The SKins should be ranked #1 simply because they own the NFL record for consecutive sell outs. Since like 1966 or something. The Skins consistently are a big draw period. The Skins get a lot of attention now. Imagine if this team was putting up double digit wins year in and year out. It would be crazier. :2cents: :helmet:

Last season, a buddy and I spoke with a sales rep for Alienware. If anyone remembers, they were selling some kind of computer/multimedia package last season and showing it off in the club level. I can't remember exactly what they were selling, but it was all based around the Redskins. We asked the guy why a relatively small company would devote so much time/energy to designing something for one franchise. His response was that market research showed that the Redskins had "the most loyal and most affluent fan base in the NFL," and that Alienware was only doing that for the Redskins. I tend to believe businessmen with money riding on their research more than someone in the media with a calculator, a few stats, and no repercussions for getting it wrong.

When I saw Pittsburgh at #21, I knew this was bull****. No way that fan base is out of the top 3 in fan loyalty. Looks like they applied some esoteric algorithm using median income and ticket sales to spit out a rank order.

ummmm...yeah, what he said.

Note: This has got to be the first time I've ever seen the words esoteric algorithm on this board....nice pull, professor! :cheers:

Archived