Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

5 Championships

smashmowf

The 30s and 40s were before the merger and before they were called Super Bowls

And they still count. Before the NFL and AFL merger, the championship games were equivilent to the present day Super Bowls. Any dallASS fan that wants to dispute that, have them tell that to the likes of Sammy Baugh and other players from that era. It meant as much to them as a Super Bowl does to the players of today.

So you dallASS fans, that's 5 Championships. 2 NFL Championship Trophies and 3 Super Bowl Trophies. You've got nothing on us!

Nobody talks about those days. The Packers won like 5 NFL titles before the Super Bowls but they only talk about them being 3 time champions. For some reason the NFL doesn't publicize pre Super Bowl anything. The Browns won like 8 or 9 AFL titles. Bears won a bunch of NFL titles, same with the Giants. Championship appearances pre-1969

14 New York Giants 3 11 .214

11 Cleveland Browns 4 7 .364

10 Green Bay Packers 8 2 .800

10 Chicago Bears 6 4 .600

6 Boston/Washington Redskins 2 4 .333

5 Detroit Lions 4 1 .800

5 Cleveland/L A Rams 2 3 .400

4 Baltimore Colts 3 1 .750

4 Philadelphia Eagles 3 1 .750

2 Chicago Cardinals 1 1 .500

2 Dallas Cowboys 0 2 .000

1 Minnesota Vikings 1 0 1.00

Both of these are news to me. If that's true how come we are only at Superbowl 41 right now? That was about 70 years ago.

Because prior to the Super Bowl, the AFC was the AFL (American Football League) which was an entirely different entity from the NFL. They had a lot less money, they were more prone to recruiting negro players...it was very much like the CFL of the 80's. The NFL & AFL merged in 1966 because the AFL was going under & the NFL saved it. They combined their efforts & created the Super Bowl between the NFL teams & the AFL teams.

How could you NOT know about our Championship in 1937 & '42? We have been in a total of 10, if memory serves. 1932, 1937, 1940, 1942, 1960, 1971, 1982, 1983, 1987, 1991. I may be off about a couple of those dates, but I'll just have to be. I don't feel like doing any research right now. :)

How could you NOT know about our Championship in 1937 & '42? We have been in a total of 10, if memory serves. 1932, 1937, 1940, 1942, 1960, 1971, 1982, 1983, 1987, 1991. I may be off about a couple of those dates, but I'll just have to be. I don't feel like doing any research right now. :)

Oh Lord CSA........lets hope the resident Philthy fans don't see your post.......1960 was the last time Eagle fans could claim they were #1!!

I thought we also got to the championship in '45? I don't know about '32, but if we did, wouldn't we have been the Boston Skins? Does that count?

Oh Lord CSA........lets hope the resident Philthy fans don't see your post.......1960 was the last time Eagle fans could claim they were #1!!

I thought we also got to the championship in '45? I don't know about '32, but if we did, wouldn't we have been the Boston Skins? Does that count?

:doh: :laugh: My bad. I mistakened it for our game against the Giants in '66. :doh:

Before the super bowl era we won in 1937 and 1942. We lost the championship game in 1936, 1940 & 1945. Back in 1945 we lost to the Rams 15-14 when the Rams picked up 2 points on Baugh's pass hitting the goalpost(The goalposts were at the goal line back then). He was standing in his own endzone during the play and when he threw the pass it bounced off the posts and bounced the Cleveland Rams to the title.

P1010333.jpg

Dont know if this is too off topic but I heard the other day on NPR that there is a new book out about the 1943 Steelers/Eagles team that was called the the Steagles due to the war. They were saying that the team consisted of men that couldnt fight due to blindness, deafness and ulcers. Just thought I would mention it because I was just reading about the 1942 Redskins.

And they still count. Before the NFL and AFL merger, the championship games were equivilent to the present day Super Bowls. Any dallASS fan that wants to dispute that, have them tell that to the likes of Sammy Baugh and other players from that era. It meant as much to them as a Super Bowl does to the players of today.

So you dallASS fans, that's 5 Championships. 2 NFL Championship Trophies and 3 Super Bowl Trophies. You've got nothing on us!

:stop:

:bsflag:

:no:

What do Skins fans not want to hear? Those "championships" were won when there were only 10 teams in the NFL! :doh: Some of the franchises had changed between '37 and '42. Pretty much any team that could stick around long enough, would eventually win the championship.

Call it 5 Championships if you want, you and I both know they're not the equivilent to Dallas' 5 SUPER BOWLS! :nono: Dallas won all 5 of its titles against a field of 30 teams, not 10. :notworthy

That's why even some Skins fans dont know about it, cause nobody cares.

:stop:

:bsflag:

:no:

What do Skins fans not want to hear? Those "championships" were won when there were only 10 teams in the NFL! :doh: Some of the franchises had changed between '37 and '42. Pretty much any team that could stick around long enough, would eventually win the championship.

Call it 5 Championships if you want, you and I both know they're not the equivilent to Dallas' 5 SUPER BOWLS! :nono: Dallas won all 5 of its titles against a field of 30 teams, not 10. :notworthy

That's why even some Skins fans dont know about it, cause nobody cares.

Well, I guess you'd better discount all those Boston Celtic championships between 1957 and 1965 too. There were only 8 or 9 teams in the NBA then. Teams were changing during this era, as well. :readnews:

Archived