Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Brunell And The Hof??

SKINZ33

So I'm filled to the brim with the preseason-jump off the cliff-the end is coming threads more than len pastabelly at an all you can eat buffet so heres something that I think is different (search function won't load so I can't use it).

While some will feel the need to bash and provide absolutely no thought to this topic i'm just throwing it out there as something different.

I was looking at Brunell's numbers and thinking about what he has done over the years (IMO Brunell, Cunningham, and S. Young helped revolutionize the running QB) If he wins a title (or two) does that put him in the HOF conversations at all?

I think he might be considered but he has to win a title or two for that to happen.

I don't care what insults, smiley face gestures, or rants are typed, but hopefully we can have some decent discussion.

Thoughts?

How did Brunell help revolutionize what Cunningham and Young did some years before he did. Remember Cunningham and Young played pro football in the mid-80s and were far superior scramblers than he was. Both also were better pocket QBs. Look at Cunningham's numbers, though he NEEDED to be able to run (because his decision-making was poor at times) he also amassed many impressive passing seasons before he settled down even more with Minnesota.

I dunno - don't you think Bledsoe's going to get in, regardless of whether he wins a title?

From profootballreference:

Mark Brunell

| Passing | Rushing |

| G | Comp Att PCT YD Y/A TD INT | Att Yards TD |

| 147 | 2576 4334 59.4 30037 6.9 174 102 | 496 2399 15 |

Seasons among the league's top 10

Pass attempts: 1996-2, 2000-10

Completions: 1996-2, 2000-9t

Passing yards: 1996-1, 1997-9, 2000-8

Passing TDs: 1996-8, 2000-10t, 2005-8t

Adjusted yards per pass: 1996-6, 1997-4, 1998-8, 1999-10, 2001-8, 2002-10

Among the league's all-time top 50

Pass attempts: 26

Completions: 22t

Passing yards: 27

Passing TDs: 41

even with 2 titles, i dont see him getting in, his numbers arn't that great

Really?

Aikman had about 32k yards passing. Brunell has 30k right now, he'll catch up this season.

Brunell has a 59% career completion rating, Aikman had 61.

Brunell has a career Y/A of 6.9, Aikman had 7.0

Aikman had 165 TDs and 142 INTs.

Brunell has 174 TDs and 102 INTs.

Clearly the only differentiating factor (and its a very significant one), is Aikman's super bowl rings, and Brunell's lack of rings.

Really?

Aikman had about 32k yards passing. Brunell has 30k right now, he'll catch up this season.

Clearly the only differentiating factor (and its a very significant one), is Aikman's super bowl rings, and Brunell's lack of rings.

Wow, I had no idea he stacked up to Aikman like that. People act like Mark Brunell has never been good or done anything, he's got a lot of (unjustifiable) haters out there. Personally, with a SB, I think he should go in the Hall but he probably won't even with that. I can hear it now "he wasn't good enough when he was good, he rode Portis, that D and a HOF coaching staff at the end to a SB". Oh well, I'm still amazed how he stacks up to Aikman (who I believe is an unquestionable 1st ballot HOFer) especially in the TD-INT ratio.

I disagree - I think Brunell needs to win a title, but if he does, he's already beyond guys like Rich Gannon, and if he has a season roughly the same as last year (250 completions, 3000 yards, 20 TDs - in each case, lower than what he had last year) he'll pass guys like Aikman and Simms.

If Brunell wins a Super Bowl, I'd say he's a Warren Moon category Hall of Famer, the type of guy who gets in after a few years. There are only three active QBs today who have more passing yards, completions, and TDs than Brunell - and I think all three (Favre, Bledsoe, and Manning) are locks to go to the HOF.

BD

Really?

I was going to say no way but after you posted that little tid-bit of information I would say that with a couple of rings he would have to be considered. Interesting....

As of now, he has no chance however.

Really?

And keep in mind, Brunell has rushing yards and 15 rushing TDs, while Aikman has very little in the rushing category and only 9 rushing TDs... the gap gets wider.

So I'm filled to the brim with the preseason-jump off the cliff-the end is coming threads more than len pastabelly at an all you can eat buffet so heres something that I think is different (search function won't load so I can't use it).

While some will feel the need to bash and provide absolutely no thought to this topic i'm just throwing it out there as something different.

I was looking at Brunell's numbers and thinking about what he has done over the years (IMO Brunell, Cunningham, and S. Young helped revolutionize the running QB) If he wins a title (or two) does that put him in the HOF conversations at all?

I think he might be considered but he has to win a title or two for that to happen.

I don't care what insults, smiley face gestures, or rants are typed, but hopefully we can have some decent discussion.

Thoughts?

:laugh: That is the funniest thing I have heard today. Thanks for making my day.

:laugh:

Three things would need to happen:

1. One Super Bowl ring (and maybe one more return to the SB, second ring not necessary).

2. He needs to do some NFL commentary ... see Madden, Aikman, etc.

3. Either:

a. Peter King needs to be off the HoF selection committee, or

b. Brunell needs to end his career on another team.

:logo:

It's all about perception.

Aikman and Brunell's career numbers are similar with Troy having the decided edge because of the 3 titles.

The perception of Aikman near the end of his career and into retirement was that of a winner and leader of the "Team of the 90's".

Right now, Brunell is viewed as a guy who if not for Joe Gibbs saving him would be a backup somewhere. Right or wrong but that's the impression I get from the media and they do count when it comes to who gets in and who doesn't to the Hall of Fame.

For Brunell to have a good shot, like someone said earlier, he would have to LEAD this team to at least 1 and most likely 2 titles. He can't do what he did last year. Like someone said, he can't "Dilfer" his way to a ring.

Also like Ghost mentioned, Brunell in no way shape or form "revolutionized" the position of QB. Cunningham and Young were leading teams to playoffs and in Young's case a World Title before Brunell even played a meaningful down. He didn't really get to play until 1995, well after Cunningham and Young did their thing.

Archived