Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Airport security: your opinion

Beaudry

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

What are they looking for? No weapons are allowed. No liquids are allowed. Shoes have to be Xrayed. Any bads must be Xrayed. And you have to walk through a metal detector. What else? Cavity search?
They might have yellow cake. :D

Edit: I voted no. As much as I would like to feel secure, screening EVERY Arab-looking person is akin to putting all asians(japanese) in camps because we feel they can't be trusted. :(

I understand the origin of the question, but such an approach risks diverting resources to search in the wrong area. Granted, most airline hijackers have been males of Middle-Eastern appearance, but Richard Reid was not. Female suicide bombers are relatively common against Israel, and that would be an obvious route if too much of a focus was put into searching Arab males.

Security needs to be focused on behavior, not on skin color or the possible weapons (now liquids, was pointy objects). Again the Israeli's have been successful in this area.

In the USA, the LAX bomber was stopped, not because the official was looking for an Arab male bomber, but because he was behaving, in her own words, "hinky". Stopping and searching every Arab male will not stop a single high-jacking as they will find other accomplices or methods. Five years of taking pointy objects from our mothers, kids and grandmothers as they board planes has not and will not stop a single hijacking either.

Profiling is good ... profiling solely on race diverts resources and causes real threats to be missed.

Bruce Schneier writes very well on security and he has both books (Beyond Fear) and numerous articles on this.

http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2005/07/profiling.html

I understand the origin of the question, but such an approach risks diverting resources to search in the wrong area. Granted, most airline hijackers have been males of Middle-Eastern appearance, but Richard Reid was not. Female suicide bombers are relatively common against Israel, and that would be an obvious route if too much of a focus was put into searching Arab males.

Security needs to be focused on behavior, not on skin color or the possible weapons (now liquids, was pointy objects). Again the Israeli's have been successful in this area.

In the USA, the LAX bomber was stopped, not because the official was looking for an Arab male bomber, but because he was behaving, in her own words, "hinky". Stopping and searching every Arab male will not stop a single high-jacking as they will find other accomplices or methods. Five years of taking pointy objects from our mothers, kids and grandmothers as they board planes has not and will not stop a single hijacking either.

Profiling is good ... profiling solely on race diverts resources and causes real threats to be missed.

Bruce Schneier writes very well on security and he has both books (Beyond Fear) and numerous articles on this.

http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2005/07/profiling.html

Good post! :cheers:

What's the point? Then TSA employees would probably begin to allow non-arab looking men/women through security without as much scrutiny. Next thing you know, we're seeing terrorists from all over the world blowing up American planes. You don't think terrorist groups are smart enough to see a weakness in this type of system? Time would be better invested into methods and technologies that can check everyone more thoroughly and efficiently.

Good post! :cheers:

Thanks. :)

If you haven't read it, the article on the link is a good one. If you like what you see there, you'd enjoy his book Beyond Fear. Schneier knows his stuff and writes about complex issues in a very clear way. He is a security geek, but is very clear where technology can help and when people and process have to take over.

How would you feel if the airport screeners were to continue with their current security sytem, but ALSO pulled every arab looking man out of line for additional screening?

I like it, but i think we need better screeners IMO.

Also about pulling every arab/middle easterner out of line for extra screening/questioning is good, i mean people of middle eastern descent

are the ones causing terrorism, not white. african, jewish ,spanish or other ethnic backgrounds , my :2cents:

And i am in no way saying ALL middle eastern people are bad, we just have to be careful is all. Call me racist or a profiler i dont care, but until jews or a different ethnic background start suicide bombing people, i wont look at it any other way.

I just flew last Saturday. I don't agree with the banning liquids. Just makes the trip bad for everyone. I got through security fine and have no problem taking off my shoes or coat or emptying my pockets. But when I couldn't bring shampoo or toothpaste, I think it's getting rediculous. If they can make a bomb out of liquids, they'll figure out how to make it out of clothes or a book or a cell phone. You just have to take your chances I'm afraid.

No and I'll tell you why, the effect of such a move in the long run would be to reduce suspision on every non-arab looking man. That's when a white looking terrorists will nail you and the fallout would be huge. I'd rather they improve the technology available for airport security. I'd like to see a hallway of different machines every has to walk through. If you pass, you're safe. Everyone gets checked.

On a personal note I'd also like the damn airlines to enforce the size restriction for carry on. I'm getting sick of not being able to put mine up there cause some jerk decided to bring a two ton suitcase and his friggin radio.

Archived