Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

why we look bad

bsmsss

our starting 22 are good enough to lead us to a super bowl

but has the starting 22 actually played yet??--last night moss played 1 series --portis and llyod didnt play at all--thus 3 of our offensive stars didnt play--the o will look bad without these guys

but the main reason we look bad is our depth--its aweful--the reason for this is we trade our draft picks away for front line starters or use our money on big time free agent starters

we haven had a lot of first day picks over the past 3 yrs or many draft picks at all over that time--this causes us to rely on undrafted free agents to fill our roster or 6-7th round picks to fill out our roster--these players for the most part are what they are training camp tackling dummies--yes you might find a pierce but more often these guys are selling insurance come sept

after our starting 22 its a horrible display of talent for the most part--we arent developing any young draft picks into future starters or for that reason good back ups--the reason is we dont have many draft picks on our roster since aprils draft is usually a day off for the skins after round 1

until we keep our draft picks and use them on future players we can develop into starters or good back ups aug will look like this--

its all about the draft it always has--

without depth provided by the draft you better pray every day for health

i need to play madden 07 so i can stop thinking about how bad we look in the pre season and stop being worried about portis

:eaglesuck :dallasuck :dallasuck :dallasuck :dallasuck :dallasuck :dallasuck :dallasuck :dallasuck :dallasuck :dallasuck :dallasuck :dallasuck :dallasuck :dallasuck :dallasuck :dallasuck :dallasuck :dallasuck :dallasuck :dallasuck :dallasuck :dallasuck :dallasuck :dallasuck :gaintsuck :gaintsuck :gaintsuck :eaglesuck :eaglesuck :eaglesuck :eaglesuck :eaglesuck :eaglesuck :eaglesuck :eaglesuck :eaglesuck :eaglesuck :eaglesuck :gaintsuck :gaintsuck :gaintsuck :gaintsuck :gaintsuck :gaintsuck :gaintsuck :gaintsuck :gaintsuck :gaintsuck :gaintsuck :eaglesuck :eaglesuck

Good post. I agree that the Redskins could use the draft better. Since the next 2 years' draft picks have mostly been traded away, we need to keep our starters intact for a couple of years and accumlate good picks. That way the starting group is solid, and we can use the draft picks we accumulate in the coming years to groom our own stars.

In the recent past, the starting group has changed a lot due to the revolving door of coaches and mixed performances of big name players (e.g. Dieon, Coles). Now that Gibbs is here, hoping the stability results in us keeping our picks and using them to build a strong foundation for the future. I don't think we'll ever behave like the Steelers because the fans and media in this area are too focused on short-term results. Probably starts with an eager thinking that he can make a splash quickly, instead of slowly and steadily building strength over many years.

We have a lot of money and we're using it to our advantage by buying our talent at high prices. Other teams can't afford to. If it weren't for the salary cap, we'd proababy end up looking like the Yankees (relatively speaking). It's not a bad strategy -- it just hasn't paid off in the recent past due to many factors. That doesn't mean it's a flawed strategy though. The next few years might be best opportunity we've had to win championships, settle the owner and fans into a winning mindset and build the a strong foundation through the draft. Once we start winning, the urgency to grab headlines will subside (never go away) and that will enable a rebuilding as talent ages.

we look bad beacuse good teams work on new stuff, new people in new positions and gettin backups time on the field. Bad teams get all their starters out there and really try to win to hopefully build some confidence and work on the basics. Often in the preseason the better team loses, look around the NFL at some of the preseason scores to cheer yourslef up. Most of the time the team you know is better loses.

"Does anybody else remember thinking the Steelers looked awful in preseason last year? I was sure those guys were going to go 5-11. I was positive that Big Ben was a one-year wonder.

I was wrong.

Clint"

no. they had....what.....a 13-3 record the prior season (?) and had most of the same cast returning. not quite the same situation as with the SKins.

Probably a good time to use this question:

Hey guys remember the time we used our 1st team defense the whole first half against the jets and still got owned? Which game was everyone watching? Other than the CB's that are out/Rocky that was in, the vast majority of the plays we got torched on were simply mistakes made by our veteran players. Against the pass. Against the run. Against the Jets. It was awful.

Speaking of which: Why are the other teams coaches using trick plays in Pre-season? That is just stupid.

Why? The same could be said of blitzing, showing fancy defenses (which most teams do). Everyone has trick plays, and in my opinion a reverse isn't even a trick play. Don't you think Seattle knew P'burgh had trick plays? Everyone KNEW they would run at least one in the SB.

I think sometimes coaches just want to see how their team will do running a non-standard play against another defense in real game situation.

no. they had....what.....a 13-3 record the prior season (?) and had most of the same cast returning. not quite the same situation as with the SKins.
Actually, they had a 15-1 record. How is that not the same situation? We had a 10-6 record with most of the same cast returning this year. The Steelers looked AWFUL last preseason. They looked like a team that went from good to awful. My point is, it's just preseason. There's nothing to really gauge things on here. Guys look bad in the preseason, but they look good in the season. My point is we can't make predictions for the season based on preseason.

Clint

Archived