Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sean Taylor is better than Roy Williams...alot better.

SkinsNoles21

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AQYRPW3fTQ ---Sean Taylor

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9A0al_qK6A ---Roy Williams

Two of the best safeties in the NFL and members of rival teams, Sean Taylor and Roy Williams have been involved in a lot of comparisons, so I decided to compare the two on my own. Now obviously there is a lot more to football than what these highlight videos provide, however, these videos show the players at their very best and that is the best time to compare them.

After watching these two videos I just feel that Sean Taylor is going to be a much better safety than Roy Williams. This is not a knock on Roy Williams, because he is one of the best, it just seems like ST is going to be better.

Overall, he is just a bigger physical presence than Williams, and his hits pack a noticeably stronger punch. He is better in coverage than Roy Williams as well. Williams is not as bad in coverage as most Redskins fans think he is, however, Sean Taylor has the ability to completely shut down one side, or even the entire field.

There is no better example than last seasons two meetings with Tampa Bay. In the first game, The Bucs scored at will on the defense and even though the Redskins offense scored 5 td's, it wasn't enough. Sean Taylor sat out that game due to injury.

In the second meeting with the Bucs and first round of the playoffs the Redskins offense was horrendous, but, the defense was spectacular. Sean Taylor played this game, and the Bucs offense was incapable of moving the ball at all. Not to mention the TD ST scored. It's no coincidence. He has the ability to completely shut down an opposing teams offense. As a Florida State Seminole I remember all to well the game in the rain against the Canes. I said after that game and well before he was a Washington Redskin, he SINGLE-HANDEDLY beat the 'Noles that day. He did everything you could possibly do to beat a team including downing a punt on the one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=od6McBQtJd8 Keep in mind that all of the footage in the rain is just one game. He owned the Florida State Seminoles every single time they played and that is no small feat as the 'Noles are obviously a talented team year in and year out. What he did then, he is on the verge of doing now.

So while Roy Williams is one of the best safeties in the NFL today, Sean Taylor, after just two full seasons, is already one of the best in the NFL and on his way to becoming one of the best the game has ever seen.

When the homer cries ring out, which I know they will, I can just sit back and let Sean Taylor prove me right. And maybe I'll give them a little reminder.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKcl-sfEiEM

The injuries may be a small downer, but just remember that right around the corner is a season of greatness. :logo:

I definitely agree with you. Taylor had some bad plays his first couple of years that haters will jump all over, but there is no safety/DB in the NFL who is as freakishly talented as him. He can change the course of a game in a heartbeat. He's basically a LB with sub-4.4 40 speed and can jump 43" off the ground. That's insane. NO ONE wants to come across the middle with him in the game (i.e. Terry Glenn, the woman). I think this year will be his breakout year and pretty soon he'll be at that next level as one of the greatest to ever play the position.

Allow me to disagree.

Taylor probably has a better potential than Roy.

But wait, IS he better NOW, in the present? (sorry, that was a bit redundant, but trying to get the pt. across)

That's up to discussion. I don't care about potential RIGHT NOW, because it doesn't make someone better RIGHT NOW. Do you get what I'm saying?

After watching these two videos I just feel that Sean Taylor is going to be a much better safety than Roy Williams. This is not a knock on Roy Williams, because he is one of the best, it just seems like ST is going to be better. :

Intersting how you refer to the future when comparing ST to RW. Like you say...RW is one of the best, and you refer to ST "IS" going to be one of the best. It seems like you acknowledge the fact that RW is better right now.

Overall, he is just a bigger physical presence than Williams, and his hits pack a noticeably stronger punch. :

No way. RW is the hardest hitting player in the league.

He is better in coverage than Roy Williams as well. Williams is not as bad in coverage as most Redskins fans think he is, :

I hope he is better than RW in coverage as he is a Free safety and not a Strong safety. Hey, for you're next comparison, lets compare Julius Jones and Moose Johnson.

Allow me to disagree.

But wait, IS he better NOW, in the present? (sorry, that was a bit redundant, but trying to get the pt. across)

That's up to discussion. I don't care about potential RIGHT NOW, because it doesn't make someone better RIGHT NOW. Do you get what I'm saying?

I'd say he's absolutely more athletic. He's quicker, stronger, and can jump higher. Roy Williams is probably more fundamentally sound "right now" but Taylor is or very soon will be a better all-around safety. Williams has a few years' experience on him.

Intersting how you refer to the future when comparing ST to RW. Like you say...RW is one of the best, and you refer to ST "IS" going to be one of the best. It seems like you acknowledge the fact that RW is better right now.

I hope he is better than RW in coverage as he is a Free safety and not a Strong safety. Hey, for you're next comparison, lets compare Julius Jones and Moose Johnson.

No. I refer to the future by saying Sean Taylor is going to be one of the best of ALL time. I said Sean Taylor is already one of the best in the NFL. Roy Williams is one of the best in the NFL right now but will never reach the peak that ST is going to reach. ST has much greater potential than Roy Williams.

So just because Roy Williams is a free safety it doesn't count when he gets torched in coverage? Covering a receiver is covering a receiver and giving up a td is giving up a td no matter what position you play.

Umm, yes Sean Taylor is a better safety NOW, then Roy Williams is. I guess it is hard to do an exact comparison because one is a free safety and one is a strong safety, but if you think about it, name one thing Roy Williams does better on the football field then Sean Taylor? He isn't faster, doesn't hit harder, he definately doesn't cover the field better, he doesn't have the closing speed, cover skills, ability to take TE's out of the game etc etc etc. I guess Roy Williams might be better on run support, but that is mainly because he is often playing on the line of scrimmage, basically as a fourth or fifth Linebacker.

Allow me to disagree.

Yup, I get what you're saying. Taylor's entering his third year, w/o any off field distractions for the first time in his career. I would hope that ST continues to improve this year and live up to his seemingly unlimited potential. This shouldn't really be an issue that can be reasonably debated until after this season.

Umm, yes Sean Taylor is a better safety NOW, then Roy Williams is. I guess it is hard to do an exact comparison because one is a free safety and one is a strong safety, but if you think about it, name one thing Roy Williams does better on the football field then Sean Taylor? He isn't faster, doesn't hit harder, he definately doesn't cover the field better, he doesn't have the closing speed, cover skills, ability to take TE's out of the game etc etc etc. I guess Roy Williams might be better on run support, but that is mainly because he is often playing on the line of scrimmage, basically as a fourth or fifth Linebacker.

Exactly. Yea one is FS and one is SS but Sean Taylor is better at everything on the field. He could play FS tomorrow and outshine anyone in the league.

Gibbs and Williams said he is the most talented player theyve ever coached and he could challenge any of the skill players for a starting spot.

Do you honestly think Taylor hits harder than Williams?

Allow me to disagree.

I would take Sean Taylor...right now, over Roy. This year ST will take his game to the next level and Roys best years are behind him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXTiD83Irwk

Watch the first hit on this video. The FSU receiver gets knocked out and drops the ball while spinning through the air. I do think Taylor hits harder than Williams. Also at about the 7:30 mark of the video is the hit on Jerry Porter last year. That was a monster of a hit.

in a word...yes.

...wait, does "hard hitting" mean knocking players out of the game because Roy has that hit he does that the league made the rule for...you know the "Roy Williams Rule" where he breaks guys legs by grabbing onto their backs after they run by and drag them down. I like to call it the "caught out of position" tackle. But cleanly knocking the snot out of a guy on the field play after play...I'll take Sean Taylor.

Archived