Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

One nice throw does not make a QB

jbooma

not to rip on anyone,but our o-line wasn't exactly giving our Qb's good protection. So I think it s a combo of things. I don't think its all on brunells shoulders or any Qbs'. It comes down to the line too.... By the way it IS only the first preseason game. We should be seeing big improvements from game to game. Now if we don't, then we have problems...

Ok what are you trying to show me? That he threw for 3000 yards? Wow that just ahead of Gus Frerotte and 500 yards more than McNabb who hardly played the whole year. Please, how about you respond when you get a clue. Thanks. :D

I guess you want to ignore his passer rating... or his TD to INT ratio... or his many last minute saves and scrambles for first downs. I have a clue fella...

And judging by your response, now everybody knows that you, my friend, do not.

...must be a closet cowboy fan:doh:

First you say this:

year 2: An ok performance but nothing worth mentioning besides 2 hail-marys during the dallas game. Our Defense has carried us not anything special Brunell has done. Brunell is a servicable QB...kinda like an Older Trent Dilfer.

Then you said this:

I dont know man...I think calling Brunell masterful is kinda homer-ish. I won't deny, Brunell had a decent year last year but masterful? My faith in Brunell remains the same as his first year here, when this entire board trashed him. Both years he has declined late in the year, I dont see this year being any different.

I am not picking on you. You just did not give Brunell the props he deserved for having much more than an "ok", "decent" performance last year. He rejuvenated his career.

I guess you want to ignore his passer rating... or his TD to INT ratio... or his many last minute saves and scrambles for first downs. I have a clue fella...

And judging by your response, now everybody knows that you, my friend, do not.

...must be a closet cowboy fan:doh:

Oh man..you called me a cowboy fan. That's messed up dude. Anyway, like I said before, Brunell is a servicable QB...like an older Trent Dilfer. Brunell is not so good that he should be given the starting position. Only thing good about Brunell's passes were how S. Moss adjusted to his passes mid air. You praise Brunell for many last minute saves and first down scamples? I think you all are stuck on the Dallas game. Take the Dallas game out of the equation and I would say Brunell only did enough to not lose the game...any starting NFL QB should be able to do that.

I'm cheering for Brunell while he is on the field, however, Brunell is the weak link and it will show in this offense. It's gonna be the same thing we have seen in the last 2 years. Frustration. Hail Redskins Defense.

excuse you, but Campbell had a number of nice throws, not just one like in the scrimmage

you can see the poise in the pocket, the mobility, the rocket arm, the nice spiral, and the accuracy... that's what excites Redskin Nation

And look at the guys he is playing with, put him out there with the first unit, boys the future looks bright...:applause:

Oh man..you called me a cowboy fan. That's messed up dude. Anyway, like I said before, Brunell is a servicable QB...like an older Trent Dilfer. Brunell is not so good that he should be given the starting position. Only thing good about Brunell's passes were how S. Moss adjusted to his passes mid air. You praise Brunell for many last minute saves and first down scamples? I think you all are stuck on the Dallas game. Take the Dallas game out of the equation and I would say Brunell only did enough to not lose the game...any starting NFL QB should be able to do that.

I'm cheering for Brunell while he is on the field, however, Brunell is the weak link and it will show in this offense. It's gonna be the same thing we have seen in the last 2 years. Frustration. Hail Redskins Defense.

Here Here!

Lets go D!!!:applause:

Sorry about the Cowboy thing. That WAS messed up!:laugh:

Not ready to jump on the JC bandwagon yet but I hope he is the real deal. When he gets to play (2nd half or preseason), you could make the argument that he is the highest drafted player on the field at that time, hence he should look good. Especially when everyone is running base defenses. Put him in with the first stringers and let's watch!!

The one throw or many throws are as inconsequential as the strong arm, scrambling etc. What counts with JC is he looked like a fish in water. A man at one with the hardest and most important position in what is a very technical sport.

Next game forget watching what he does and even how he does it - just watch the man. Ignore the ball, the team mates and the opposition. Leave your beer bottle alone and forget the chips. Watch the man and appreciate the high art of a man in his natural environment. All the strong arm/tight accurate spirals etc are just the by product - if you will the physical manifestation of an entity that IS a top class QB.

The stats some people will require in order to believe will follow as a matter of course, I'm just glad I can watch and appreciate the poetry as it unfolds rather than read about it in a sports statistics book where all magic, mystery and amazement has been bleached out...

The one throw or many throws are as inconsequential as the strong arm, scrambling etc. What counts with JC is he looked like a fish in water. A man at one with the hardest and most important position in what is a very technical sport.

Next game forget watching what he does and even how he does it - just watch the man. Ignore the ball, the team mates and the opposition. Leave your beer bottle alone and forget the chips. Watch the man and appreciate the high art of a man in his natural environment. All the strong arm/tight accurate spirals etc are just the by product - if you will the physical manifestation of an entity that IS a top class QB.

The stats some people will require in order to believe will follow as a matter of course, I'm just glad I can watch and appreciate the poetry as it unfolds rather than read about it in a sports statistics book where all magic, mystery and amazement has been bleached out...

I'm gonna tattoo this post on my arm.

Pedro and Aquari0 are making beautiful music ... the best way for a QB to learn is not sitting on the bench, but getting reps on the field ... with the Skins offensive talent and nasty defense the risks are minimal ... he should start by the third game and I predict he will.

J.C. has something Ramsey didn't...quite frankly, he has sack. Ramsey heard footsteps in his sleep, while in practice & most games he played in.

Ramsey was shakey in the pocket & was dilusional often thinking the pocket was collapsing because (1) defender actually made it through the line!

J.C. is ready for more & hopefully will get an opportunity to play a contributing role in our offense.

So if one throw doesn't make a QB...how many make a crappy one?

I know many on this board feel after watching that nice throw by Jason on Sunday should show how great he will be.

Just calm down there........

Remember after the first sweet crossing pattern that Ramsey through a long time ago, many on this board had him in the HOF before he ever completed a full season (which till this date has not happened). My point is yes Jason has a great arm, but he is not ready yet to be a #1 yet a #2 right now.

He needs more time, unlike Ramsey lets not rush this guy since Joe never rushs young QB's. If Collins is terrible this week again, then I would not be surprised to see the Skins get maybe another veteran to compete the rest of the camp.

Jason looked good, but he is not ready yet, and lets not destroy him like we might have done to Ramsey.

Sounds like what's going on at the Cowboys board where they are proclaiming Romo sits to pee the next HOFer and that he'll start week one.....after one preseason game (hasn't thrown 1 NFL regular season pass in 4 years on the team, went undrafted and played Div 1 AA at Eastern Illinois). Still think he has work to do before he takes over for Bledsoe, the same way Campbell has a long way to go before taking over for Brunell.

Hmmm I think you want to reference to the Dallas game. I wouldn't call hail mary's masterful. Only thing masterful was how S. Moss adjusted to Brunell's lobs of faith.

Damn,

Both of those throws were right on the money. What are YOU talking about?

Saying Santana had to adjust to those particular passes is just gross exaggeration.

I know many on this board feel after watching that nice throw by Jason on Sunday should show how great he will be.

Remember after the first sweet crossing pattern that Ramsey through a long time ago, many on this board had him in the HOF before he ever completed a full season (which till this date has not happened). My point is yes Jason has a great arm, but he is not ready yet to be a #1 yet a #2 right now.

He needs more time, unlike Ramsey lets not rush this guy since Joe never rushs young QB's. If Collins is terrible this week again, then I would not be surprised to see the Skins get maybe another veteran to compete the rest of the camp.

Jason looked good, but he is not ready yet, and lets not destroy him like we might have done to Ramsey.

A lot of "wisdom" was included in your statement. !

cambell needs a lot of work. If im not wrong, which i may be, his interception was on a very routine cover two scheme. yes he made some nice throws and showed pretty good poise in the pocket, but misreading that cover two scheme shows his inexpirence.

so yes i do think he should get the majority of playing time from now on. collins knows he isnt going to start here so he should be ok with cambell going against #2 and #3 defenses

You do know I can substitute Ramsey in that same statement right, I agree he needs more time though. I do think it would be great to see what he can do against stiffer competition.

We all know we will not see just how good he will be untill teams gameplan for him.

Ramsey has zero pocket presence, always has, it wasn't Spurrier's fault, you just can't run a spread shotgun offense in the pros like he did in college. Another difference between Ram and Campbell is that Ram went 11-0 in Conference USA and Campbell went 11-0 in the SEC. Oh and Snyder picked Ramsey and Gibbs picked Jason. You know less about football than you think.

Ramsey has zero pocket presence, always has, it wasn't Spurrier's fault, you just can't run a spread shotgun offense in the pros like he did in college. Another difference between Ram and Campbell is that Ram went 11-0 in Conference USA and Campbell went 11-0 in the SEC. Oh and Snyder picked Ramsey and Gibbs picked Jason. You know less about football than you think.

Sorry but if you go undefeated in college that is impressive, and Jason had a nice team around him.

Why are you even bringing up college stats anyway?? I never said Ramsey was better then Jason now did I :doh: , anyway they are at different levels and I was comparing Jason to Ramsey when in that preseason game he nailed the WR in the endzone on a frozen rope and from that point forward many on this board called him the next Farve etc....

Sorry but if you go undefeated in college that is impressive, and Jason had a nice team around him.

Why are you even bringing up college stats anyway?? I never said Ramsey was better then Jason now did I :doh: , anyway they are at different levels and I was comparing Jason to Ramsey when in that preseason game he nailed the WR in the endzone on a frozen rope and from that point forward many on this board called him the next Farve etc....

This is classic jbooma being jbooma. You make a statement and then claim you didn't make it. No, you werent' comparing the reaction of fans to Campbell to the reaction of fans to Ramsey. You were comparing the players. Here's my post, which is what you were responding to:

jbooma-

only the homer wearing the rosiest of glasses or the biggest NFL noob is going to see the play of Jason Campbell as anything approaching what you're suggesting. You've built up a straw man and then knocked it down - congrats.

What we saw, good and bad, was this:

- Campbell looked comfortable and confident (even though he had backup linemen and 3rd string and lower receivers playing with him);

- he scanned the field and checked down, usually to the receiver who (apparently) was the right alternative option;

- he threw absolutely gorgeous deep balls that were on target and catchable;

- he showed good pocket presence and the ability to roll away from pressure and still scan the field and throw accurately;

- he held the ball a bit too long at times; and

- he was fooled on some of his reads by the defense, especially the INT that he threw.

To me, he looked like what he was - a legit first round talent at QB who is in his second season but who took no snaps last year. I had been worried about him not developing the way he was supposed to develop given the staff's apparent confidence in Collins as the primary backup over him. I have no such fears now. All he needs is more time and experience, and he'll be ready.

And then your response:

You do know I can substitute Ramsey in that same statement right, I agree he needs more time though. I do think it would be great to see what he can do against stiffer competition.

We all know we will not see just how good he will be untill teams gameplan for him.

You said, plain and simple, that you could substitute Ramsey's name for Campbell in my post. Period. At least have the decency to not take me and the others on this board for such fools that we don't know how to read your posts accurately.

All Campbell has to do to be on Brunell's level is take care of the ball. As we have seen, Campbell's physical skills are far better than Brunell's; It's obvious.

What has Brunell showed to give him the #1 QB position with no competition?

year 1: Nothing.

year 2: An ok performance but nothing worth mentioning besides 2 hail-marys during the dallas game. Our Defense has carried us not anything special Brunell has done. Brunell is a servicable QB...kinda like an Older Trent Dilfer.

Brunell is a good qb, what are you talking about..Brunell is gonna play the whole year so if you think he is a servicable qb we are not going anywhere, a QB makes or breaks the team

First of all...mad respect jbooma on your tenure here. With that said, I'd have to disagree. If your point is that we could have another Ramsey on our hands [big arm, promising talent, but a possible flop] I offer you this. Ramsey's big problem was his feet. No one [QB coaches] could ever get him to set his feet and throw the ball accurately. I'm guessing, but I'd say that's probably why Gibbs wasn't big on Ramsey [including his lack of poise in and out of the huddle...refer to the visible disgust displayed on the field when he got his chance to help us win against NY last year]. Ramsey has a big arm coupled with a lot of other weak problems in his game. If you have been listening to the whispers around camp, many have talked about improving Campbell's footwork in the pocket. Now, I'm not saying that he has fixed that part of his game, but there was such a vast improvement from what we saw against Baltimore compared to a week later in Cinnci. As someone already mentioned on this thread, Campbell was hand picked by Gibbs and I have to say that I can see why. He stands tall in the pocket with his eyes always down the field, his arm is huge, and he didn't have "one" good throw he had many. I won't spell out all of the plays, but there was more than the throw down the middle for 40+ yards. You should have titled the thread, "One game does not make a QB". I don't think there is any doubt that he is our #2 QB for now. I'm sure that Gibbs wants to keep everything "PC" and will give Collins a fair shake, but come on...he's just plain awful compared to the talent in this league.

In my mind, Collins' scouting report goes as follow: Get pressure on him and he'll make mistakes. Campbell's reads like this: Big arm, accurate, good pocket presence, and good awareness of where the pressure is coming from. I'm just a football fan and even though I think I know a lot, I know I'm no expert. But seems to me that there is something about Campbell that says he's ready for this league. Is he ready for Saunder's offense? No, I don't think so. But his God given ability was on display Sunday night and I'll go as far to say that Campbell is a winner. I'm a VT fan and he showed this given ability against us in 05'. He's come a long way since then. I think painting him with the "one good throw brush" is like driving with blinders on. He's far more than just an okay QB that needs more time, and I think he will prove that in the years to come whether he is a Redskin or not. I hate to say it, but I'm already sold that he is much more than Ramsey is and will ever be. Lastly, I've been on this site for nearly a year and I have supported Brunell throughout my posts. With that said, I think that Campbell, when he is knowledgable enough to operate under Saunder's offense, gives us the best chance to win. I agree with you, he won't be ready this year, but he may have to be if things don't go as planned with our starting QB. Campbell is a capable talent and we don't need anyone taking the snaps behind Brunell but him. I think when all is said and done after August, Campbell will be our #2 because he'll have earned it. Just my thoughts right or wrong...Thanks for the post :cheers:

HTTR!

Archived