Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

One nice throw does not make a QB

jbooma

'booma, did you actually watch the game? Assuming you did ... why in the world would you reduce what he's shown to date---or in that one half for that matter---to "one nice throw?" The man made several VERY "nice throws" against Cincy, as he does every time he hits the field.

Have you seen a movement suggesting people ARE implying that the one throw to Ortega seals his Hall of Fame candidacy?

Yes OM and he played well against 3rd stingers, which he should be able to pick apart since many will not be even in the NFL. I just know how this board reacts when a QB plays well against inferior competition such as Ramsey did when he first started and everyone assumes he is great.

Jason has the potential but lets be fair he has not played against great competition to this date, we do not need to bring back Osaka and how Danny did against 4th stringers, that is all I was implying.

you say he needs more time? how much more time? he was a first rounder pick a few years ago now. He has had time. If he isnt ready now, he never will be. He needs to at least get his feet wet out there. You dont want brunell to go down and then he is forced into the starting qb roll without any expirience.

This post is so stupid, it discredits stupid people. But I will let you in on a little secret - he was drafted last year. Eli is the one who has been in the league a few years now.

Frankly, I'd just as soon Campbell miss the Eli-like progression of development. You know, getting thrown in before being ready and look horrendous. Then progressing to having moments of excellence intermixed with a lot of mediocrity and some abysmal play. I'd just as soon see him wait until he's at the point where he starts out fairly solid, albeit with the occasional lapse.

Tune in for next week's edition of the Obvious Files, where we explain how TO is disruptive in the locker room.

Now, this is funny. Exactly what I was thinking (except the TO part). :laugh:

Yes OM and he played well against 3rd stingers, which he should be able to pick apart since many will not be even in the NFL.

He also was protected by third stringers, he had no running threat, he wasn't able to throw to Moss, Cooley, Randle El. That balances out. Played with 3rd stringers and against them.

I know many on this board feel after watching that nice throw by Jason on Sunday should show how great he will be.

Just calm down there........

Remember after the first sweet crossing pattern that Ramsey through a long time ago, many on this board had him in the HOF before he ever completed a full season (which till this date has not happened). My point is yes Jason has a great arm, but he is not ready yet to be a #1 yet a #2 right now.

He needs more time, unlike Ramsey lets not rush this guy since Joe never rushs young QB's. If Collins is terrible this week again, then I would not be surprised to see the Skins get maybe another veteran to compete the rest of the camp.

Jason looked good, but he is not ready yet, and lets not destroy him like we might have done to Ramsey.

DONT KNOW WHAT GAME YOU WERE WATCHING BUT JC HAD A FEW GOOD THROWS!!

Yes OM and he played well against 3rd stingers, which he should be able to pick apart since many will not be even in the NFL. I just know how this board reacts when a QB plays well against inferior competition such as Ramsey did when he first started and everyone assumes he is great.

Jason has the potential but lets be fair he has not played against great competition to this date, we do not need to bring back Osaka and how Danny did against 4th stringers, that is all I was implying.

He also was protected by third stringers, he had no running threat, he wasn't able to throw to Moss, Cooley, Randle El. That balances out. Played with 3rd stringers and against them.

Uh huh.

The "yeah but he played against backups" line is silly. Always has been, always will be. If you're going to say the fact he played against them means anything, you need to recognize that the fact he played WITH them means every bit as much.

Fact is Jason Campbell, for about 95% (unscientific survey :) ) of the plays he's been in on so far through the 5 preseason games and couple of scrimmages he's been in, has looked like a young man among boys. If you can seriously watch him drop/move in the pocket, and throw the guided lasers around the field he's been throwing, and see the talent there practically exploding off the screen ... and STILL be looking for "yeah, but's" ... I'm thinking you're seriously looking for something---anything---to start a thread about today, and unfortunately for you, came up with this.

But I could be wrong. :)

jbooma-

only the homer wearing the rosiest of glasses or the biggest NFL noob is going to see the play of Jason Campbell as anything approaching what you're suggesting. You've built up a straw man and then knocked it down - congrats.

What we saw, good and bad, was this:

- Campbell looked comfortable and confident (even though he had backup linemen and 3rd string and lower receivers playing with him);

- he scanned the field and checked down, usually to the receiver who (apparently) was the right alternative option;

- he threw absolutely gorgeous deep balls that were on target and catchable;

- he showed good pocket presence and the ability to roll away from pressure and still scan the field and throw accurately;

- he held the ball a bit too long at times; and

- he was fooled on some of his reads by the defense, especially the INT that he threw.

To me, he looked like what he was - a legit first round talent at QB who is in his second season but who took no snaps last year. I had been worried about him not developing the way he was supposed to develop given the staff's apparent confidence in Collins as the primary backup over him. I have no such fears now. All he needs is more time and experience, and he'll be ready.

Campbell had several nice throws against the Bengals. One was dropped by Farris. It hit him in stride and right in the hands. If that would of been Santana we would be talking about a TD. I love how Jason can put zip on the ball and also throw on the run with touch. I would love to see him play with the first team sometime this pre-season. Brunell is definitely they #1 QB, but I think Campbell will be #2 by the time pre-season ends.

- Campbell looked comfortable and confident (even though he had backup linemen and 3rd string and lower receivers playing with him);

- he scanned the field and checked down, usually to the receiver who (apparently) was the right alternative option;

- he threw absolutely gorgeous deep balls that were on target and catchable;

- he showed good pocket presence and the ability to roll away from pressure and still scan the field and throw accurately;

- he held the ball a bit too long at times; and

- he was fooled on some of his reads by the defense, especially the INT that he threw.

You do know I can substitute Ramsey in that same statement right, I agree he needs more time though. I do think it would be great to see what he can do against stiffer competition.

We all know we will not see just how good he will be untill teams gameplan for him.

Giving JC positive praise after a preseaon game isn't ridiculous. I will admit, and I can be bashed if I'm wrong, that I believe JC will at some point be a good QB. Does that mean pro bowl HOF, of course not because he isn't proven.

Ramsey came under Spurrier and IMO spurrier killed any chance that kid had of being a good QB in this league.

Anyone who is labeling JC as a HOF is clearly sipping a little too much kool-aid, but lets not take away his credit for showing signs of NFL maturity in his plays.

He's still going to make mistakes because he's almost a rookie again with having to learn a new system.

Given more time he will produce and cure some of those "mistakes" that are with him now.

ONE nice throw? Campbell had many. Jimmy Farris dropped a deep one that was layed pefectly. The difference between this situation and with Ramsey is that this is preseason and Campbell isn;t starting the season. Campbell will get more PT to get reps against the second and third team this game instead of just third team

No you can't. Why? Because of this statement:

Now I liked Ramsey but his last couple of years here he never looked comfortable or confident in the pocket.......

i was comparing the early Ramsey not the later one, he was very similar when he started in first couple preseason games, it was when he was the #1 is when it seemed it went downhill, who knows why exactly

You do know I can substitute Ramsey in that same statement right, I agree he needs more time though. I do think it would be great to see what he can do against stiffer competition.

We all know we will not see just how good he will be untill teams gameplan for him.

No, you can't substitute Ramsey for the following reasons:

- Ramsey was extremely jittery and gun shy after Spurrier allowed him to get raped repeatedly behind that blocking scheme. He never looked composed in the pocket for Gibbs;

- Ramsey never threw a good deep ball (i.e. more than 20-25 yards). He was hit and miss and was at his best throwing medium range darts. He has the arm, but not the accuracy (and Campbell throws a prettier deep ball too, comparable to Rypien's just in looking good).

- I already think that Campbell shows better pocket awareness than Ramsey ever did. He certainly throws better on the move than Ramsey did.

He needs to get rid of the ball a little quicker, but that can be learned so I'm not worried. What encourages me the most about Campbell are that the things that he seems to be doing well are not things that for the most part are easily taught.

excuse you, but Campbell had a number of nice throws, not just one like in the scrimmage

you can see the poise in the pocket, the mobility, the rocket arm, the nice spiral, and the accuracy... that's what excites Redskin Nation

exactly it wasnt just one great 60 pass or somthing it was a bunch of little ones, and he stayed in the pocket and he can run too

The premise of this thread is that Campbell's not ready to be a back-up player? If you believe that then you should want him off the team. A first round qb with a year under his belt who isn't even good enough to be a back up? Jason may not be ready to run with the wolves, but in the scrimage I saw and the pregame we all saw he looks at least ready enough to run with the puppies. That's not a Cantonesque prediction. Campbell should be in a fierce competition with Collins for the back up position. He is and after the first round, Campbell is ahead.

You know what I get from this thread?

Jb's back & talking nonsense. And that means the season is here. :)

Not nonsense to all, but to some :)

The point of the entire thread is lets not jump to conclusions like many did for Ramsey when he started :)

I totally disagree. There was more than just "one good throw". He had several plays, not all passes, that he showed poise and good decision making ability. Yes, the interception was a mistake. But show me a quarterback that doesn't make mistakes ever.

I'm not sure it's time for him to be a starter, but what he showed Sunday night, in my opinion, was definite growth from last year. Cannot compare him to Ramsey.. Gibbs didn't choose Ramsey and tutor him for a year.

All Campbell has to do to be on Brunell's level is take care of the ball. As we have seen, Campbell's physical skills are far better than Brunell's; It's obvious.

What has Brunell showed to give him the #1 QB position with no competition?

year 1: Nothing.

year 2: An ok performance but nothing worth mentioning besides 2 hail-marys during the dallas game. Our Defense has carried us not anything special Brunell has done. Brunell is a servicable QB...kinda like an Older Trent Dilfer.

See, this is the reason why you are not a coach in the National Football League.

we were 1 game from the nfc championship with one weapon at wr, that is pretty good there, give Mark a chance with a lot more weapons and we will go further

:applause: Way to tell him without any nasty barbs.

Archived