Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Today's Washington Post coverage - LAME

Larry Brown #43

OK, we have our first preseason game of the year tonight. So I'm thinking today's Post will have a big spread about the start of our preseason, at least a couple of articles, etc.

All we get is an article about football players who play fantasy football, a very small "what to watch for" list, and the rosters of the Skins and Bengals. Maybe it's just me, but that seems pathetic.

Here we are going into a season with so much promise, and that's all they can muster? How about talking to some of the young guys and getting their thoughts on playing their first NFL preseason game? It just seems to me the Post mailed it in.

I went outside my door this morning to pick up the WP and when I looked at the sports page I saw that on the day the Redskins season begins, the large centerpiece article is on a guy that is raising champion bulls for the rodeo :laugh: :laugh:

Somebody should tell George Solomon that this ain't the Panhandle and we aren't really interested in cow chips and hand-tooled leather saddles :D

I went outside my door this morning to pick up the WP and when I looked at the sports page I saw that on the day the Redskins season begins, the large centerpiece article is on a guy that is raising champion bulls for the rodeo :laugh: :laugh:

Somebody should tell George Solomon that this ain't the Panhandle and we aren't really interested in cow chips and hand-tooled leather saddles :D

:laugh: :laugh: it's funny cause its true! :( :mad: :doh:

There never has been a lot of coverage on the actual day of a game. The coverage will start on Monday after the game.

This is the pattern:

Heavy Monday coverage.

Heavy Tuesday coverage.

Medium Wednesday coverage.

Medium to light Thursday coverage.

Light Friday.

Light Saturday.

Practically non-existant on Sunday.

Do you guys realize the whole reason we have all this stuff on Redskins.com, a team sponsored Message board, and a team owned Radio station is because the team is in direct competition with the other media outlets in the area.

The team can in this way control everything top to bottom and control what gets out to the media. In some ways its cool, because we get tons of info at no cost directly from the team. Conversely, as fans turn more and more to get their news and info directly from the Team you will certainly see media outlets spending less time and money on reporting. This means shabbier Redskins reporting in non-team owned media outlets (i.e. the Washington Post).

If the post is going to continue to publish crap by people like Sally Jenkins bashing our organization (see last season), I'd just as soon get my news from the team anyway.

What is the Post going to tell you that we don't know already, or can't get from this site or Redskins.com?

it doesn't require insider information from the organization to provide a position by position description of some of camp's better battles to watch in addition to giving us some information on the Bengals' roster and who they drafted and how those guys are coming along, etc.

again, no one in Washington is interested in a guy running his cattle ranch and producing show ring bulls :laugh:

if they needed to fill additional space on the sports page how about a little more coverage of the Nationals' game, other than a 'below the crease' article about Saturday game vs. the Mets which is no more prominent than the article about the backup quarterbacks at Maryland? :)

it doesn't require insider information from the organization to provide a position by position description of some of camp's better battles to watch in addition to giving us some information on the Bengals' roster and who they drafted and how those guys are coming along, etc.

again, no one in Washington is interested in a guy running his cattle ranch and producing show ring bulls :laugh:

if they needed to fill additional space on the sports page how about a little more coverage of the Nationals' game, other than a 'below the crease' article about Saturday game vs. the Mets which is no more prominent than the article about the backup quarterbacks at Maryland? :)

Fair enough. I agree...

I can remember as a kid (before the internet, but just barely), waiting to look at the Post every day during the season (my dad got his copy at work so we would not demolish it before he got home). When he got home I would scour the sports section for any Skins info.

Of course the internet has made this obsolete, I do still like to pick up a paper on Sundays and read the Post's sports section...I guess it's just nostalgia.

Further proof showing that the WP is full of bull.

You know what the editors said?

"It's only a preseason game."

As much as we fans might like to think this means a lot - especially to those young guys - general fans do not care. And so the editors don't care.

If the game was in D.C., it might have made a difference, but it's in Cincinnati.

It's only a preseason game.

I don't buy that. The Post has more coverage about the Skins on a typical day of training camp than they had today. You'd think for the first preseason game they'd bring it up a notch.

Do you guys realize the whole reason we have all this stuff on Redskins.com, a team sponsored Message board, and a team owned Radio station is because the team is in direct competition with the other media outlets in the area.

The team can in this way control everything top to bottom and control what gets out to the media. In some ways its cool, because we get tons of info at no cost directly from the team. Conversely, as fans turn more and more to get their news and info directly from the Team you will certainly see media outlets spending less time and money on reporting. This means shabbier Redskins reporting in non-team owned media outlets (i.e. the Washington Post).

If the post is going to continue to publish crap by people like Sally Jenkins bashing our organization (see last season), I'd just as soon get my news from the team anyway.

What is the Post going to tell you that we don't know already, or can't get from this site or Redskins.com?

There is something satisfyingly visceral about holding a sports section for me.

Whether it be with a cup of coffee or :toilet: it will always be my friend.

Plus I like Mike Wilbon.

Archived