Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Portis vs. Holmes/Johnson

DieHardWSHfan

I have seen many threads predicting that Portis will only get 15-17 TDs, yet in Saunders' past offensive schemes, LJ got 20 last year starting only 9 games, and Holmes had a 21 TD season and 27 TD season 4 and 3 years ago, respectively. The only time the 20 TD barrier is broken is when people are getting outrageous, also saying "2,500 yards". Is this because people think Holmes and Johnson are better runningbacks than Portis, or what? Maybe it's because we have better receivers here than in KC, so Saunders may focus a little more on the passing game, but is another 20 TD season unreasonable? I'd be more than happy to hear y'alls :2cents: .

The RB's in KC had a lot of TD's because the other primary threat was Tony Gonzalez. Saunders has many many more weapons in DC then he had in KC. I think that Portis may get into the 20's for TD's, but wouldn't be surprised to see him get in the high teens and our WR's and Cooley getting a lot of TD's this year.

At least we are blessed to know that we should be getting a lot of TD's in this offense!!!

I think it's more reasonable to expect Portis to have a similar year to what he had his first two seasons in Denver.

Somewhere between 1500-1700 yards with a much better yards per carry average compared to last season. Between 4.5-5 yards per carry. Around 15 TDs.

It will be interesting to see how Betts does and if he can stay healthy enough to take on a larger role in the offense.

I'm glad you posted this question. I've been crying for past two years at the coaches to center the offense more around Portis. In particular, getting him the ball on draw plays and screen/dump passes where he has more open field to run in. If Saunders makes a commitment to doing this, I see 15 - 20 TD's for Portis, in addition to Moss's 12 and Lloyd's 8-10. Randle El will grab about 6 with Cooley, Sellers and Fauria getting another 14 combined.

Yeah and the Skins O line are chumps, right? I'd take our line over Dallas' patchwork O line any day of the week and twice on Sunday :dallasuck

I'd take our O-line over Dallas any day.

However, KC's like made Ray Lewis and the Ravens defense look very bad last year. I've never seen Ray Lewis get blocked by linemen that much in his career. I have to give them the nod. Will Shields may be a HOF. Don't know if we have that kind of presence on our line yet.

Ugh, jeez... OK a couple things.

The KC O-line was DOMINANT. Ours is very good, dont get me wrong, but the Chiefs had a couple of possible HOF players in Will Shields and Willie Roaf. That and they had very few WRs to speak of. In all those years the best WR they had was their TE, Tony Gonzalez, or Eddie Kennison. They didnt have Moss, Lloyd, and Randle El type players to take TDs away from the RB.

15-17 is a perfectly reasonable prediction. Honestly I would be more than happy with that. If everyone is seriously expecting 20+ TDs, just prepare for the possiblilty of dissapointment.

I'm glad you posted this question. I've been crying for past two years at the coaches to center the offense more around Portis. In particular, getting him the ball on draw plays and screen/dump passes where he has more open field to run in. If Saunders makes a commitment to doing this, I see 15 - 20 TD's for Portis, in addition to Moss's 12 and Lloyd's 8-10. Randle El will grab about 6 with Cooley, Sellers and Fauria getting another 14 combined.

So at minimum, you're expecting us to average 26.7 points a game. Al SAunders is an offensive genius, but that's a bit overly optimistic given our tough divisional opponents and the other tough defenses we'll face this year

Yeah and the Skins O line are chumps, right? I'd take our line over Dallas' patchwork O line any day of the week and twice on Sunday :dallasuck

um.. hold the burgundy and gold guillotine for a second.

KC's O-line was THE best in the league for several years up to last year and were a big part (along with offensive play calling, and the TE talent) of what Holmes and Johnson did in KC.

I broke down the KC versus Washington O-line in this thread:

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141972&highlight=o-line

Read it and you will know that we have a chance to have the best O-line in the NFL soon but that KC's line just had more experience than we did last year.

Whenever you see a Chiefs highlight, focus on Roaf. He routinely gets upfield and eliminates 2 guys from the play. Samuels is very good, but doesn't dominate like Roaf did.

However...

15 TD's for CP isn't out of the question whatsoever. Hell, if defenses didn't keep constantly falling for counter fake/dump to Sellers in the redzone he could have easily gotten that last year.

OT:

wow, the Saints have really let alot talent walk in the past 10 years or so, and not guys that were fallin off, but we're still highly productive at the time they signed elsewhere. Off the top of my head:

Sam Mills

Willie Roaf

Ricky (lol)

LeRoi Glover

LeCharles Bentley

Kyle Turley

Kieth Mitchell

and now with the drafting, and signing of Reggie Bush, I'm sure it won't be long before Duece finds a new home.

Portis is a better running back than Holmes was/is.

If you want to tell me LJ is a better back, I'd dissagree, but let you win - however Clinton is just entering his prime and hitting his stride. At this same time in LJ's career he was trade bait who couldn't get off the bench.

Portis will quiet the doubters and rouse the supporters this year.:point2sky :logo: :helmet:

LJ isn't better than Portis. LJ lucked into the right situation with the best offensive line in football. If he played anywhere else, he'd be an average back. How quickly we forget that he made his name running for big yards against the doormats in the big 10, while never showing up against Ohio St., Michigan, Wisconsin, Iowa, etc.

LJ isn't better than Portis. LJ lucked into the right situation with the best offensive line in football. If he played anywhere else, he'd be an average back. How quickly we forget that he made his name running for big yards against the doormats in the big 10, while never showing up against Ohio St., Michigan, Wisconsin, Iowa, etc.

I DIDN't FORGET! :cheers: I've always loved LJ's style, but I'm so sick of hearing about how he is this awesome RB now, if you actually watch him last year he had so much open space running, Clinton would have taken at least 5 more runs to the house.

LJ doesn't have even half the homerun speed Clinton has. People forget how fast Clinton is because he couldn't get off the line without being hit the last 2 years.

Archived