Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

First Speeding Ticket

BayouBrave86

So as I'm going to a friend's last night, I get pulled for speeding. I was going 47 in a 35. I'm wondering if this will have any implications on my insurance? It is my first time ever getting a ticket. Any insight would be much appreciated. Isn't there a class I can take to get it taken off anyway? He didn't ask for my registration, which I thought was odd.

try and get it reduced. Most of the time you can plead it to an 11-10A which is a stop sign violation I believe. Then it's no points on your license, just more money. And since it's no points, your insurance shouldn't be affected.

And I'm not sure how it is in LA but many times you can go to the court date and the Judge will grant whats called a PBJ (Probation Before Judgement) which means you still pay the fine but no points and that you agree to keep your proverbial nose clean while driving for the next year.

Yeah, it's usually pretty lenient on the first ticket, I'm guessing. I've had the same experience, and while I can't remember the technical reason, I ended up just paying the fine -- no points. If you can find the phone number of the officer...call him and apologize, it might help you out.

State law in VA is that if you get a moving violation and you are under 21, you HAVE to go to driver improvement class. They won't take any points from your record once you complete it. It's an 8 hour course...its HELL! I've had to go twice!

Yeah, it's usually pretty lenient on the first ticket, I'm guessing. I've had the same experience, and while I can't remember the technical reason, I ended up just paying the fine -- no points. If you can find the phone number of the officer...call him and apologize, it might help you out.

yes you did...If you speed, get pulled over and get a fine, you get points...it's that easy.

yes you did...If you speed, get pulled over and get a fine, you get points...it's that easy.

Not if the officer doesn't show up if you challenge the ticket, or if you plead one of these things that others are talking about in this thread. '

But I guess I wouldn't know, since it didnt actually happen to me...

Yeah def go to court with it. If the cop doesn't show I believe everything is taken off the fine and points. But if the cop shows up, just plead guilty and basically say your sorry and just focus on getting the points taken off or at least reduced.

Just once I'd like to see somebody come in here and say something like....

"I got pulled over and ticketed for speeding. I'm going to pay the fine, pay the insurance surcharge for the next couple years and LEARN from the experience."

Instead we constantly get the... "I got a ticket, can anyone tell me how to screw the system and get out of it?" thread instead.

I'm 32 years old. I've had a driver's license since July of 1991 and I don't have a single moving voilation on my record. Heck, I've only actually been pulled over once for a moving violation (driving w/o my headlights on) and I got a verbal warning. If the officer had given me a ticket I would have paid it. How tough is it to actually follow the driving laws folks? I'm not saying I don't stretch the speed limit at times or go through that "orange" (not quite red yet) light on the corner, but there's a limit. 47mph in a 35mph zone is 33% over the speed limit. You're quite likely to get stopped for that around here. Especially if you're under 25. If you want to push the envelope, expect that you're likely to get pulled over and ACCEPT THE PENALTY for it. Or has ALL sense of personal responsibility left society now?

"I got pulled over and ticketed for speeding. I'm going to pay the fine, pay the insurance surcharge for the next couple years and LEARN from the experience."

Instead we constantly get the... "I got a ticket, can anyone tell me how to screw the system and get out of it?" thread instead.

I'm 32 years old. I've had a driver's license since July of 1991 and I don't have a single moving voilation on my record. Heck, I've only actually been pulled over once for a moving violation (driving w/o my headlights on) and I got a verbal warning. If the officer had given me a ticket I would have paid it. How tough is it to actually follow the driving laws folks? I'm not saying I don't stretch the speed limit at times or go through that "orange" (not quite red yet) light on the corner, but there's a limit. 47mph in a 35mph zone is 33% over the speed limit. You're quite likely to get stopped for that around here. Especially if you're under 25. If you want to push the envelope, expect that you're likely to get pulled over and ACCEPT THE PENALTY for it. Or has ALL sense of personal responsibility left society now?

Geez and I thought I was straight edged. But anyways the fact that you've never gotten a speeding ticket in all those years is quite impressive, seriously, but I mean give the kid a break. He's 19 and has his FIRST speeding ticket, this isn't the 10th or 11th. So I mean show him a little respect, and besides if there are legal ways within the system to reduce the consequences of speeding why not take advantage of them?

Geez and I thought I was straight edged. But anyways the fact that you've never gotten a speeding ticket in all those years is quite impressive, seriously, but I mean give the kid a break. He's 19 and has his FIRST speeding ticket, this isn't the 10th or 11th. So I mean show him a little respect, and besides if there are legal ways within the system to reduce the consequences of speeding why not take advantage of them?

He's nineteen. That mean's he's probably been driving for about two and a half years. I would be willing to bet that this isn't the first time he's ever sped. So this being the first time he's ever been ticketed for it, he's still probably well ahead of the game even if he just pays the ticket and the surcharge.

There isn't a legal way to reduce the consequences. What people have been talking about are largely loopholes in the law. What I'm talking about is called "personal responsibility". Ask your grandparents (or possibly your parents) about it some time. It used to be the standard for people in this country. Unfortunately it isn't anymore. Oh, and to sum it up in a cliche.... "If you can't do the TIME, don't do the CRIME."

He's nineteen. That mean's he's probably been driving for about two and a half years. I would be willing to bet that this isn't the first time he's ever sped. So this being the first time he's ever been ticketed for it, he's still probably well ahead of the game even if he just pays the ticket and the surcharge.

There isn't a legal way to reduce the consequences. What people have been talking about are largely loopholes in the law. What I'm talking about is called "personal responsibility". Ask your grandparents (or possibly your parents) about it some time. It used to be the standard for people in this country. Unfortunately it isn't anymore. Oh, and to sum it up in a cliche.... "If you can't do the TIME, don't do the CRIME."

A wise man once said "It is often better to remain silent and be thought a fool rather than by speaking remove all doubt." Words to live by Mass. Not a sermon ,just a thought.

I'll just speak about my suggestion. What I offered was the advice that the individual in question go to court to avail himself of the leniency often offered(well within the Judges discretion, if not your personal preference) to persons in his situation. I suggested NOTHING illegal. I am however insulted that with your general condemnation there is an insinuation that there was somesuch impropiety in what I suggested.

You feel that you live your live in an exemplary fashion. My advice to you is to badger your fellow human being less and focus more on influencing others through that example. Again just a thought.

I'll just speak about my suggestion. What I offered was the advice that the individual in question go to court to avail himself of the leniency often offered(well within the Judges discretion, if not your personal preference) to persons in his situation. I suggested NOTHING illegal. I am however insulted that with your general condemnation there is an insinuation that there was somesuch impropiety in what I suggested.

I didn't suggest that your idea was illegal. I commented that a large number of the suggestions were based on loopholes in the system. Loopholes are legal. I never said they weren't. I just questioned the idea that this young man should be looking for some way to bypass the responsibility for his actions. He hasn't denied that he was speeding. He just wants to find some way not to have to pay for that indiscression. THAT'S where I have the problem.

[edit]Yusuf, I'm not sure how discussing that this young man should simply accept responsibility for his actions is hijacking this thread.[/edit]

The original post asked for advice on how to go about minimizing the poster's personal loss due to a speeding ticket. Your response above only tangentially related to that and offered little, if anything, in the way of helpful suggestions. Instead, you used the great majority of the real estate in your response to espouse and explain your personal philosophy. That's why I called it a hijacking. Mildly entertaining and even a bit thought provoking, but a hijack nonetheless.

In my experience with speeding tickets (and I've gone to court for 3)... if it's not reckless, they will knock a few mphs off the original speed. That means you need to go to court. You can sit there and pay the entire thing in the mail, but it's always better to go to court. While there just be honest, and the judge should be impressed with your driving record up until this point. I got my first ticket at 19 (90 in a 65) and the judge told me he was impressed with my record (+3 at that point...you get a point every year you go by without any violations) and he gave me a lesser sentence than he would have given to someone with a worse record.

GO TO COURT..

1) your speeding wasn't reckless, the court will most likely knock some mphs off

2) (best case scenario) the police officer who pulled you over might not even show up, and you will get off 100% if this is the case

AND...you will get points, but since you already have +3, you will only lose 3 or 4 for speeding...so you might just end up with zero, which shouldn't affect insurance.

As for driver improvement classes...I was never told to take one, and all 3 of my tickets came from when I was under 21...so I don't know what that other guy is talking about unless they changed something. BUT...take one online, it costs about $75 and it will give you 5 points to add on to your license...so if you get negative points bc of the ticket, this driver's improvement course will add 5 points. Your insurance should be fine.

A wise man once said "It is often better to remain silent and be thought a fool rather than by speaking remove all doubt." Words to live by Mass. Not a sermon ,just a thought.

You feel that you live your live in an exemplary fashion. My advice to you is to badger your fellow human being less and focus more on influencing others through that example. Again just a thought.

welcome to massskinsfans' ignore list, member #56.

Many times a judge may reduce the penalty to something like a parking violation. I know they will do that in Vegas, as I have had it happen to me. It is not a loophole, but, it is at the discretion of the judge. Often, when fighting the ticket, the officer will show up. He gets time off from patrolling the streets. If he does show uo, it could lessen the chance of the judge reducing the penalty. My advice, go to court, don't be ****y, be respectful, and take what the judge gives you. You may be surprised.

Archived