Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Reggie Bush- Holdout issues

Spartacus87

After all the good words about what Reggie Bush has been doing for the community, this kind of news is disheartening:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=A9G_e9VmtMFE32EBMgVDubYF?slug=jc-bush072106&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

No. 2 overall pick and Heisman Trophy-winning running back Reggie Bush not only appears headed for a holdout with the New Orleans Saints, a league source said Bush is toying with the idea of sitting out the entire season and going back in the draft in 2007 if he doesn't get his price.

"No player has ever had the kind of leverage that Reggie Bush has right now,"

This statement is right on the money-ha. Bush knew what he was doing with the donations and charitable events. He was setting them up!

"Moreover, team owner Tom Benson is immensely unpopular in New Orleans. Ranging from his hard-line negotiations with the city and state to constant threats that he will move the team, Benson is often treated with open scorn by Saints fans. "

This is pitiful. They will be unmerciful to Benson if this happens. Maybe it's part of his masterplan to get the saints to L.A. Thank goodness for Snyder.

Interested to hear The Spainiards take on his beloved first rounder.

Every year it seems like a player comes in makes what appears to be unreasonable demands. Pay him what he is worth, but don't pay a RB QB money which it sounds like he wants.

I guess all that b.s. talk early that Bush told his agent he does not want to hold out was just b.s. The more and more I hear about him, the more I'm starting to dislike him. He seems like such a prick. He was being too greedy and it cost him being the No.1 overall pick. Now that he was the number 2 pick he still wants number 1 money. Bull****! I hope the Saints dont cave in. If Bush houlds out for this reason, I'm sure a lot of people will be disgusted by the guy. :doh:

II hope the Saints dont cave in. If Bush houlds out for this reason, I'm sure a lot of people will be disgusted by the guy. :doh:

Disgusted but would all be in line for his services unfortunately. Benson, who is a jerk, would be destroyed by the saints fans. It could become the cities second biggest disaster.

Bush supposedly has more than $5 million in the bank from multiple endorsement deals Ornstein has negotiated since Bush left the University of Southern California. That money is guaranteed regardless of whether Bush plays this season.

And he will receive many more endorsements and publicity based on the talented generous player who just wants to play against Terrible Tom Benson.

Perhaps while they are working this out, the saints should offer Bush's family a mansion to live in.

This sounds like the Saints are being cheap rather than Bush being a greedy ****.

http://www.neworleansprofootball.com/071406rookies.html

It is safe to say that Bush has a lot more to lose from a public relations standpoint than to gain from getting into camp on time. To help negotiations, top overall pick Mario Williams' contract is already in place. Williams signed a six-year, $54 million deal with Houston before the draft. It included $26.5 million in guaranteed money.

Bush's contract will probably be between in the neighborhood of $45 million in total money with at least $20 million guaranteed. Last year's #2 overall pick, RB Ronnie Brown, received a five-year $33.67 million deal. However, speculation that Segal will be looking at 2005 top overall pick Alex Smith's contract means that Segal will be aiming closer to the $49.5 million that Smith received from San Francisco. All that said, in 2005 Brown received the most lucrative NFL rookie deal for a runningback in history last season, a title that Bush will likely have in a month or so.

I would agree that Bush has pretty much all the leverage right now. Holdout for a while and then try to force a trade to a RB needy team? Imagine him in Indy? Maybe the Jets or SF offer up a bundle of picks? Maybe Martz convinces Millen and the Fords that he's the next Marshall Faulk? What's the worth? A couple of #1s at the very least.

I would agree that Bush has pretty much all the leverage right now. Holdout for a while and then try to force a trade to a RB needy team? Imagine him in Indy? Maybe the Jets or SF offer up a bundle of picks? Maybe Martz convinces Millen and the Fords that he's the next Marshall Faulk? What's the worth? A couple of #1s at the very least.

Interesting thought. He wouldn't go to Indy, but there certainly would be other interested parties such as our monor leasue club. Segal=Scumbag

Certainly this is a tough article to read, but I will withold judgement on both sides until it plays out. This article could be true, or it could be Segal just posturing for more leverage in negotiations. As for right now it is pure speculation, but I sure hope it doesn't play out like that..

Certainly this is a tough article to read, but I will withold judgement on both sides until it plays out. This article could be true, or it could be Segal just posturing for more leverage in negotiations. As for right now it is pure speculation, but I sure hope it doesn't play out like that..

Agents are filthy whores!

Another reason why the CBA should be structured like the NBA's in regard to rookie contracts.

Yep, slotted off the bat by where you're picked, not a lot of wiggleroom. The trade off would be only letting the teams sign rookies to 3 or 4 year deals so if that guy is a start, he'll get a payday while young.

Like some others said. If he's not there on week 1, then I'll notice. But now. I don't.

People have been so brain washed with this whole player hold out = player is a bad guy crap. It's business, that's all it is. You wouldn't walk into a board room and call a CEO names because he is sticking to his guns and demanding more then the company wants to pay him. You wouldn't walk into a office and ***** at a business owner that refuses to sell for less then his price, even if he is pushing it a little.

Business is simple - you are worth what you can get. With a running back this first contract will likely be his biggest. They aren't paid highly later unless they turn out to be amaing because once people realize the next big thing is human, they also realize they can get similar production for less.

While it may appear bush has alot of leverage on the surface, I don't think he has much at all.

Yes, he has his endorsement money, so he could live quite nicely, but.......

1. He was drafted 2 overall last year, if he holds out a whole year, what team in the world is going to waste a top 5 pick on a guy who they may not be able to sign? He'd have to get picked 1 or 2 overall next year just to match what the saints are offering him now. He won't waste a year by not playing.

2. The people of New Orleans have nothing. They won't take too kindley to some punk millionaire arguing about a few more million dollars. There are people there who don't have homes. The last thing they want to hear is Reggie bush not getting his fair share.

He'll sign. Won't miss one game.

Archived