Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Gibbs Ranked No. 1 HC

chronicdesi

I love all the good things being said about us by this website. But as many articles I've read by Connor Byrne, he is ABSOLUTELY sold on the 'Skins being a the best football team. But looking at it from an outsider's viewpoint, don't you feel Byrne is a Skins fan. If you search and read any of his articles on 365 he is ALWAYS praising the skins. I'm not complaining.. I'm just stating...

http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/articles/2006/07/nfl-head-coaches180706.html

1.) Joe Gibbs (Washington Redskins ) - Gibbs won a pair of Super Bowls in the 1980s and another in the 1991 season. He famously did so with three veteran quarterbacks who were never premier players - Joe Theismann, Doug Williams and Mark Rypien. Gibbs, who returned in 2004 from a 13-year hiatus, led the 'Skins back to relevance last season, going 10-6 and earning a playoff bid. With more talent now on the roster, look for Gibbs to contend for a fourth championship. It's certainly fitting that Gibbs will rely on 35-year-old QB Mark Brunell in 2006, since the signalcaller has been dismissed by many lately, much like Williams and Rypien years ago. (Regular season record: 140-76; playoffs: 17-6).

He makes decent points though.

I think you can absolutely make the argument that Joe Gibbs is the best coach in the league. It doesn't make sense to me when people say you should ignore what he did in his first tenure...it's all a part of his career.

You could also definitely make the argument that a handful of current coaches are just as good or slightly better than Joe (Belicheck, Cowher, Parcells, etc.) but I would think you can't get knocked too hard for claiming Gibbs is the best current coach in the league.

"Best" is a pretty subjective term, but I defy anyone anywhere to make a supported case that Joe Gibbs doesn't not only belong on the very short list of active NFL coaches, but that he doesn't belong on the very short list of best all time.

If you ARE going to try to make that case, better plan to bring a lunch. :)

already booking my flight to miami. so sold that i am also booking travel to arizona, tampa, and miami after that. For you brain dead cowboys fans, those are the sites of the next 4 Super Bowls (I apologize to brain dead people for calling them Cowboy fans; that was insensitive).

Oh don't get me wrong, he makes very valid points. A lot of writers talk about Gibbs being one of the best. I just noticed he's very partial to us in most of his other articles too. My point wasn't that he's only stating Gibbs is the best because Byrne is a Skins fan...

already booking my flight to miami. so sold that i am also booking travel to arizona, tampa, and miami after that. For you brain dead cowboys fans, those are the sites of the next 4 Super Bowls (I apologize to brain dead people for calling them Cowboy fans; that was insensitive).

Anything short of a superbowl would be a huge embarrasment for extremeskins this year.

I read on here how you guys have the best talent in the East maybe the NFL and you also have the best coach.

What will be the excuse if you guys don't win the superbowl?

Anything short of a superbowl would be a huge embarrasment for extremeskins this year.

I read on here how you guys have the best talent in the East maybe the NFL and you also have the best coach.

How about we got beat by a better team just like last year. Seattle earned their trip to the SB. Anything short of last year's results would be a disappointment but winning the SB isn't the only acceptable result.

Nice to see you are good at cherry picking posts and trying to imply they are representative of the whole fanbase. :doh:

The excuse? You're funny, in a silly/stupid kind of way. Parity, unfortunately, butts heads w/ optimism sometimes... especially in this league.

To honestly answer a bs question... my guess would be injuries.

By the way, we have the best coaches, not just coach.

What's gonna be your excuse for finishing fourth in the division?

I think Belichick is probably the greatest coach ever. He won three super bowls in free agency and he probably will win more in the future. I didn't think that was possible in today's NFL. Joe Gibbs is my favorite coach but I think when everything is said and done, Belichick will probably be regarded as the best coach ever.

Belichek is very arguable...but, honestly, I feel like Gibbs and Bill are similar. Both are meticulous planners. Both know how to motivate. Both know when to give orders and when to listen to the players. Both know how to make their players put the team above their personal goals. The only thing that separates them is the era in which they coached. Honestly, the fact that Gibbs had three different quarterbacks different receivers(mostly) and running backs in his superbowl victory is akin to free agency.

Any one of the top ten ranked by Byrne in that article could be considered the single best. I'm excited to see Joe get the nod from even one writer. In his first tenure in DC, he was widely-regarded as a top 3 or 4, along with Parcells and Bill Walsh. I think his first season back had many wondering if he still "had it." He proved last year that he does so now he's getting a good ranking from writers again. The homer in me will always give him #1. I'd like to read the opinions of non-Skinfans on this one.

What was your excuse last season? What will yours be if you don't do it this year? How does it feel to be asked silly and incendiary questions?

I think Belichick is probably the greatest coach ever. He won three super bowls in free agency and he probably will win more in the future. I didn't think that was possible in today's NFL. Joe Gibbs is my favorite coach but I think when everything is said and done, Belichick will probably be regarded as the best coach ever.

I think "winning in free agency" is overrated. A good coach knows how to assemble a quality team and then to win with it, in any era. Both Gibbs and Belichick have done that, but Belicheck needs more time (and more wins) to be put up there with Joe, let alone above him. They both have won 3 SB's but remember Gibbs has been there 4 times....so far.

The Skins will beat the Pats in the 2007 SB and remove any doubt as to who is the superior coach. :D

We can get a job with them.....

So the writer probably submitted some work and got accepted.

They are also paying.

http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/articles/2006/07/nfl-beat-writers180706.html

RealFootball365.com is currently looking for experienced writers to cover the following teams on a weekly basis:

Chicago Bears

Jacksonville Jaguars

Kansas City Chiefs

San Diego Chargers

We only accept writers with virtually perfect grammar and composition and a keen football insight. You don't necessarily have to be a fan of the teams in question, but you must demonstrate a solid understanding of said team in order to be considered for the job.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Please do not send resume info. If you would like to be considered, please submit a sample article (200 words minimum). It must be an original article that contains plenty of opinion and football insight. Take a look at our most recent columns so that you can get a feel for what we're looking for. No rehashing of current headlines.

This is a paying gig.

Please send us your sample articles or ask any questions that you might have via e-mail at info@realfootball365.com

He may be a Skins fan' date=' but he makes some good points about various coaches. And Gibbs's overall record being almost twice as many wins than losses is unmatched.....surprisingly, Cower is pretty close to him...for the regular season that is...[/quote']

My problem with Cowher has always been that his division for most of his tenure has been a joke. Cinci was a 2 win team for a decade. The browns were so-so, as were the oilers. Cowhers teams never had the tough competition that Gibbs has has to endure, except when the titans and ravens were good, but his teams finished behind them.

His teams were exposed in the playoffs his whole career. I do think tho that his current team is good and still very underrated.

Archived