Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Gibbs Ranked No. 1 HC

chronicdesi

There really should be no arguements that Gibbs deserves the #1 rank. All anyone has to do is look at the W-L record in BOTH the regular season and playoffs. Gibbs is at or near the top in both categories.

Not to mention after a 12 year hiatus, in a totally different era, he turned the Redskins into a playoff team in just 2 years. When and if he wins another SB, he would have to be considered #1 of all time.

"Best" is a pretty subjective term, but I defy anyone anywhere to make a supported case that Joe Gibbs doesn't not only belong on the very short list of active NFL coaches, but that he doesn't belong on the very short list of best all time.

If you ARE going to try to make that case, better plan to bring a lunch. :)

Good point Om, but if he wins again in another decade doesn't that call for the phrase "better bring a snack?":silly: 4 SB's, 4 different QB's, in 3 decades even with two terms, wouldn't that be :point2sky .

HTTR!

I think Belichick is probably the greatest coach ever. He won three super bowls in free agency and he probably will win more in the future. I didn't think that was possible in today's NFL. Joe Gibbs is my favorite coach but I think when everything is said and done, Belichick will probably be regarded as the best coach ever.

With the same QB? Not a strong comparison, YET (time will tell). Tom Brady has as much to do with his success as Aikman, Elway, Montana, Staubach, Bradshaw, Starr did...

Not saying that each QB's respective coach on this list is a top 5 Best Coach Alltime, but if you were going to make the argument you would have to factor in the ability to bring different teams with different "generals" to 3 SB's, not to mention if he gets a 4th. We'll see;)

HTTR!

I think Belichick is probably the greatest coach ever. He won three super bowls in free agency and he probably will win more in the future. I didn't think that was possible in today's NFL. Joe Gibbs is my favorite coach but I think when everything is said and done, Belichick will probably be regarded as the best coach ever.

Then why is it that the only two times that a team has won 3 SB in 4 years was it done in the FA era?

The Patriots won 3 SBs with essentially the same team. The Skins had near complete turnover from 1982 to 1991.

Why is Belichick better than Jimmy Johnson?

Anything short of a superbowl would be a huge embarrasment for extremeskins this year.

I read on here how you guys have the best talent in the East maybe the NFL and you also have the best coach.

What will be the excuse if you guys don't win the superbowl?

You've done a fair enough job embarrasing yourself thus far, why stop there? Why not shoot for the stars and try to obtain the assjester avater:laugh:

I disagree.

Mainly b/c of the QB situation. Unlike Belichick, or even say Bill Walsh, Gibbs never had the luxury of a Tom Brady or a Joe Montana playing QB for him during his Super Bowl years.

Gibbs had to make do with several different QBs, from Thiesmann to Williams to Rypien in his SB years.

It's a lot harder acheive w/o stability in the most importat position on the field.

To win 3 Super Bowls with 3 different QBs is a feat, I believe, no other head coach can claim, and is much more impressive than winning mutiple SBs with the same QB.

I think Joe Gibbs is both an outstanding coach and person, and I'm very proud that my favorite professional sports team can lay claim to him as its leader.

That said - and I know for a fact that Joe Gibbs himself would say this - until you can cite reasons post-dating January 2004 for which Gibbs is deemed a great coach, the praise means nothing. Gibbs took a team to the playoffs (and won a playoff game!) last year that was left for dead in November, and that's nice, but it's not enough.

His record since returning to coaching is exactly .500 in both the regular season and playoffs (16-16; 1-1), which is not all that dissimilar to what the team was doing before his arrival.

I love the direction the team is going in and I think we've got as good of a chance as anyone to win it all, but citing Gibbs' accomplishments during his first tenure is no longer a good present guage.

What's the excuse for the other 31 teams if they don't win the Super Bowl?

Anything short of a superbowl would be a huge embarrasment for extremeskins this year.

I read on here how you guys have the best talent in the East maybe the NFL and you also have the best coach.

What will be the excuse if you guys don't win the superbowl?

His record since returning to coaching is exactly .500 in both the regular season and playoffs (16-16; 1-1), which is not all that dissimilar to what the team was doing before his arrival.

Gibbs in the playoffs: 1-1

Spurrier in the playoffs: 0-0

Yeah, you're right. I'd say they're "not all that dissimilar." :rolleyes:

Archived