Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Greg Williams as head coach

MaxHardware

#2. He'll still primarily work with the defense (which will be stellar for as long as he runs it) and he'll have Saunders to provide him with a good offense. He'll just assume control of more of the strategic decision making. His problem in Buffalo was he had no offense. Saunders solves that problem.

No offense? Look at the Bills 2002 season. Bledsoe threw for over 4,000 yrds. Moulds and Price each had 1,000 yrd receiving. Travis Henry ran for over 1,400 yrds. That's better offensive production then the Redskins have had.

I may be in an infinitesimal minority, but I have always felt Petitbon did not get a proper shake as HC. He was practically rushed out the door for flavor-of-the-week Norv Turner. He deserved better, if for nothing else than his years of service under Gibbs.
I tend to agree. He took over a team that was clearly on the decline, and he was never really given the opportunity to rebuild.

I may be in an infinitesimal minority, but I have always felt Petitbon did not get a proper shake as HC. He was practically rushed out the door for flavor-of-the-week Norv Turner. He deserved better, if for nothing else than his years of service under Gibbs.

To this day my pops and I disagree with the way pettibon was treated after JG left. He certainly did not get a fair chance.

Everyone assumes GW will be the next head coach of the Skins (pray that Gibbs doesn't leave soon).

But we all know that he was head coach in Buffalo and stunk the joint up. Last time Gibbs was here and Pettibone became head coach when he left. Disaster.

What makes anyone so sure that GW will be any better here as head coach than he was at Buffalo? LOL' Joe Gibbs' Dan Syder & better decision making

Uh' do drafting McGahee ring a bell. Who ever made the decision to draft

McGahee do get credit for doing so, taking that kind of a chance a player

who was coming off a serious leg injury & it paying off like the way it is,

but for that same reason they get ZERO CREDIT FOR GIVING SUPPORT TO

GW A THIRD YEAR COACH' IN COME JOE GIBBS WITH ALL THE SUPPORT IN

THE WORLD & SOME. HTTR

I fourth the motion of Petibon. I always thought he was a decent coach. I agree, everyone was so hot to get norv and it got us nothing but 7-8 years of medocrity. I also thought that one year really wasn't enough for Marty. I know he was hard headed as well, but one year is not enough to gauge a coach. I guess in the end we have our hall of fame coach back and that is all that matters. I don't know how Williams will fair if he in fact does become the coach. We can't assume he will be great. It will have to be earned, just like anything else in this world.

I think some club owners are going to closely watch LA's performance(s) against the Skins.

The G. Williams "adaptablility" concern rises in direct proportion to the calibre of LA's game..

;

Ain't the NFL, and the NFC east, great!

Concur.

Never quite could comprehend what happened to Petitbon....or the spelling of his last name.

And of course, Greg Williams hasn't learned anything since he left Buffalo, and working with one of if not the greatest coach of all time can't have any positive effect, he's doomed! <insert derisive snort here>

:applause: :applause: :D

Joe Gibbs is gettin on, that why AS is here, to take the pressure off him, hopefully that will keep him here for a few more years. GW and AS will learn alot from him, and when he does retire, if we have the team of GW and AS workin together we won't go far wrong.

Another way to look at it when GW took over the Bills they were pretty much a crummy team he really didn't have much to work with. Working under Gibbs and this excellent staff he working with I am sure he learn few things. For his next tenure he will do things different.

To this day my pops and I disagree with the way pettibon was treated after JG left. He certainly did not get a fair chance.

Petitbon sealed his fate in the last game of the year. After absolutely getting pummeled the week before 38-3 in Dallas we were playing the Vikings. Right near the end of the half the Skins got the ball outside their own 30 with over a minute left on the clock down 7-0. The Skins were 4-11 at the time and had nothing to lose. What did Petitbon have them do? Take a knee. The crowd really let the Skins have it. I have never, ever heard a Skins team get booed that badly.

Sure Petitbon was handed an aging Skins team that was a shell of its former self. But IMO Petitbon dug his own grave.

No offense? Look at the Bills 2002 season. Bledsoe threw for over 4,000 yrds. Moulds and Price each had 1,000 yrd receiving. Travis Henry ran for over 1,400 yrds. That's better offensive production then the Redskins have had.

Thats a good point, but lets look a little deeper.

2001 was Williams' first year. An abysmal 3-13. That was to be expected of a first year head coach who was forced to start Alex Van Pelt at QB and a rookie RB in Travis Henry. Henry would be good, but only ran for 729 yards his rookie year, despite starting 12 games. They were a bad team.

2002 they brought in a real QB in Drew Bledsoe. Eric Moulds was very good and Peerless had his one good season. The defense was much improved. They went 8-8 in a division where the other 3 teams ALL had winning records. Looked like the Bills under Williams were an emerging team poised to go places. Williams had turned an 3-13 BAD team into an 8-8 very respectable team in 2 years. Sound familiar?

2003. Bills looked like a POWERHOUSE! Remember, they signed Lawyer Malloy away from the Pats and then proceeded to beat the living :pooh: out of the Pats like 31-0 in the first game and then they crushed the Jags in week 2 and everyone thought the Bills were Super Bowl bound. Remember? Then Moulds got hurt and struggled all season (780 and 1 TD all season), Price had already been jettisoned to the Falcons, and Henry had to carry the whole load and the offense struggled. Williams DEFENSE finished 2nd in the league in total defense but the offense was 3rd worst. The team finished 6-10. Wiliams got canned.

Im not trying to make excuses, but Williams DID look like he could build and run a team. He had one setback year and got jettisoned. Personally, i think he got the short shrift, but then again, like I said, Buffalo's upper management wouldnt know a good coach if one kicked them in the testicles. Thats why they got stuck with Mike Mularkey (2 seasons) and DIck Jauron,another failure in other stints.

GW or AS what does it matter. GW had GW in buffalo. And AS had other great coaches arround to compliment him in KC. Samething here. We have good coaches all arround, so good defense good offense and Joe gibbs running special teams (because you know he's bigg on special teams) are skins are unstopable

Thats a good point, but lets look a little deeper.

2001 was Williams' first year. An abysmal 3-13. That was to be expected of a first year head coach who was forced to start Alex Van Pelt at QB and a rookie RB in Travis Henry. Henry would be good, but only ran for 729 yards his rookie year, despite starting 12 games. They were a bad team.

2002 they brought in a real QB in Drew Bledsoe. Eric Moulds was very good and Peerless had his one good season. The defense was much improved. They went 8-8 in a division where the other 3 teams ALL had winning records. Looked like the Bills under Williams were an emerging team poised to go places. Williams had turned an 3-13 BAD team into an 8-8 very respectable team in 2 years. Sound familiar?

2003. Bills looked like a POWERHOUSE! Remember, they signed Lawyer Malloy away from the Pats and then proceeded to beat the living :pooh: out of the Pats like 31-0 in the first game and then they crushed the Jags in week 2 and everyone thought the Bills were Super Bowl bound. Remember? Then Moulds got hurt and struggled all season (780 and 1 TD all season), Price had already been jettisoned to the Falcons, and Henry had to carry the whole load and the offense struggled. Williams DEFENSE finished 2nd in the league in total defense but the offense was 3rd worst. The team finished 6-10. Wiliams got canned.

Im not trying to make excuses, but Williams DID look like he could build and run a team. He had one setback year and got jettisoned. Personally, i think he got the short shrift, but then again, like I said, Buffalo's upper management wouldnt know a good coach if one kicked them in the testicles. Thats why they got stuck with Mike Mularkey (2 seasons) and DIck Jauron,another failure in other stints.

Actually Williams wasn't canned. He only had a 3-yr contract with the Bills and they choose to go another direction after the season. They felt it was a bad sell to their fans to re-sign a coach coming off a 6-10 season. And the Bills went 9-7 the next year under Mularkey taking over the offense. Williams wasn't as big a failure in Buffalo as people make him out to be, but he did have a lot more to work with then people lead on. The Bills FO went out and spent money on good players, although they did sorta screw him using a 1st rd pick on a RB who wouldn't play that season and they didn't need in GW's contract year.

Petitbon sealed his fate in the last game of the year. After absolutely getting pummeled the week before 38-3 in Dallas we were playing the Vikings. Right near the end of the half the Skins got the ball outside their own 30 with over a minute left on the clock down 7-0. The Skins were 4-11 at the time and had nothing to lose. What did Petitbon have them do? Take a knee. The crowd really let the Skins have it. I have never, ever heard a Skins team get booed that badly.

Sure Petitbon was handed an aging Skins team that was a shell of its former self. But IMO Petitbon dug his own grave.

That reg. season open victory over the defending world champs Cowboys was very deceiving remember every one was saying the Skins were going to the superbowl after that win little did we know what was to follow:doh: .

Buffalo's a crappy team, simple as that. We have players that could overcome any idiotic mistakes he would make as coach, but it would still be a handicap, of course.

Plus, we have far more coaches than any team in the league by far, so it might not factor us as much as it did Buffalo.

And about Williams' blitzing fanaticism; it does scare me a bit in the early part of a game, but it comes in handy in the last few minutes...prevent defense is a handicap for any team in the closing minutes. That lost the Rams a super bowl a few years back.

Actually Williams wasn't canned. He only had a 3-yr contract with the Bills and they choose to go another direction after the season. They felt it was a bad sell to their fans to re-sign a coach coming off a 6-10 season. And the Bills went 9-7 the next year under Mularkey taking over the offense. Williams wasn't as big a failure in Buffalo as people make him out to be, but he did have a lot more to work with then people lead on. The Bills FO went out and spent money on good players, although they did sorta screw him using a 1st rd pick on a RB who wouldn't play that season and they didn't need in GW's contract year.

Call it what you will. It amounts to the exact same thing.

Buffalo's loss is our gain and I for one HOPE that GW is the next head coach of the Washington Redskins. I think he'll be great. :logo:

Ah...Switzer. Does he still coach anywhere? High school, perhaps? He might make an interesting backup for Williams when he's run out of town after the 2009 season...Or if he suffers from stress-related illness. I got that after every Skins game last year. :laugh:

That reg. season open victory over the defending world champs Cowboys was very deceiving remember every one was saying the Skins were going to the superbowl after that win little did we know what was to follow:doh: .

Yep, I don't know if anybody here remembers it but Tom Boswell wrote an article that week talking about how Gibbs had gotten too conservative and that he had been holding the team back his last year. I bet Tom would love to get Superman to fly around the earth a few times to turn back time and un-write that column.

Archived