Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Greg Williams as head coach

MaxHardware

Petitbon sealed his fate in the last game of the year. After absolutely getting pummeled the week before 38-3 in Dallas we were playing the Vikings. Right near the end of the half the Skins got the ball outside their own 30 with over a minute left on the clock down 7-0. The Skins were 4-11 at the time and had nothing to lose. What did Petitbon have them do? Take a knee. The crowd really let the Skins have it. I have never, ever heard a Skins team get booed that badly.

Sure Petitbon was handed an aging Skins team that was a shell of its former self. But IMO Petitbon dug his own grave.

I dont think that should have been the deciding factor in firing him. Sure he did throw in the towel at times that season but like you said, he was giving a horse with a broken leg and expected to run the race. I would have at least given him one more season to try and see what he could do with some new blood.

Al Saunders? If the offense takes off like expected, doesn't this guy make the most sense?

Well if both guys are left when Gibbs retires, Williams will come out a winner regardless because of the clause in his contract that guarantees him 1 million dollars if he doesn't get named head coach and is still on staff.

Al Saunders? If the offense takes off like expected, doesn't this guy make the most sense?

He is like 60 somthing. Gregg Williams is in his low 50s.

Gregg Williams is one of the heros here in D.C

He has his defense in place. All he would have to do is bring in some young talent on offense to take over for our "about to become old-offense" at that time. Guys such as Santana Moss(9th year), Mike Sellers(10th year), and Jon Jansen(10th year).

Not saying they will be pass their prime or no good, but they will be starting to get up there in nfl age. Hell, maybe even Clinton Portis might be starting to break down cuase he'll be in his 8th year and the average running back career span is like 6 years.

Although I truley think if Jason Campbell is a bust. We will be ****ED like crazy for maybe the next 3-8 years.

He is like 60 somthing. Gregg Williams is in his low 50s.

Gregg Williams is one of the heros here in D.C

He has his defense in place. All he would have to do is bring in some young talent on offense to take over for our "about to become old-offense" at that time. Guys such as Santana Moss(9th year), Mike Sellers(10th year), and Jon Jansen(10th year).

Not saying they will be pass their prime or no good, but they will be starting to get up there in nfl age. Hell, maybe even Clinton Portis might be starting to break down cuase he'll be in his 8th year and the average running back career span is like 6 years.

Although I truley think if Jason Campbell is a bust. We will be ****ED like crazy for maybe the next 3-8 years.

If I understand you correctly, you're saying Gibbs will step down as head coach in 4 years? I don't see him staying more than two seasons. Agreed GW is unquestionably the man for the future!!!

You're correct if JC was a bust, we'd be f'd. Heath Shuler screwed our team for years!!!

I think GW will be a fine HC. The only thing that scares me with him coaching the Skins, is will we lose that family feeling we have right now.

Good point.

I really don't think you can replace a man like Gibbs.

It's going to be hard for all of us.

How many former asst coaches of Gibbs have gone on to be good/great HCs? Gibbs doesn't have the coaching tree that Paul Brown, Bill Walsh or Parcells do. Which isn't a bad thing because Lombardi's assts didn't do anything either. But to assume Gibbs is going to put the magic touch on GW is a bit of a stretch.

Another excellent point.

Scary times ahead for us all when Gibbs leaves.

I fourth the motion of Petibon. I always thought he was a decent coach. I agree, everyone was so hot to get norv and it got us nothing but 7-8 years of medocrity. I also thought that one year really wasn't enough for Marty. I know he was hard headed as well, but one year is not enough to gauge a coach. I guess in the end we have our hall of fame coach back and that is all that matters. I don't know how Williams will fair if he in fact does become the coach. We can't assume he will be great. It will have to be earned, just like anything else in this world.

I'll be honest here, but I think accurate: Part of Pettibon's problem was his weight, his "look" on the sideline. Like it or not, the appearance of a head coach is important. You have to look the part. Gibbs is the General Patton of football, now more than ever. His steely gaze alone earns respect.

I'll be honest here, but I think accurate: Part of Pettibon's problem was his weight, his "look" on the sideline. Like it or not, the appearance of a head coach is important. You have to look the part. Gibbs is the General Patton of football, now more than ever. His steely gaze alone earns respect.

Tuna is a respected coach by many.

There's clearly a big different in style between JG and GW. When Joe talks, he gives credit to those around him, seeing himself as an enabler. GW is more about being right, being smarter and showing the world that his way worked.

This is a very perceptive and accurate analysis. It's also why GW cannot match that special something that makes Gibbs the special talent that he is. People *love* working for someone who takes the blame when things go wrong and credits others for any successes.

If GW gets the Skins head job , I don't think the locker room would embrace his ego..

The man loves to hear himself talk ( Which isn't bad if its just you and your wife) but we're talking about NFL Players who's egos are as wide as the Atlantic Ocean. That doesn't look like a good match..

I know that Joe Bugel and Richie Pettibone did not have success as head coaches, but I think that this is a different situation. Williams has already been a head coach, so he knows first hand the challenges that a head coach will face. That experience will help Williams learn from Gibbs, because he knows what to look for from the HOFer. You can imagine Williams thinking, when the team is confronted with problems that he struggled with in Buffalo, "Now let's see how Gibbs handles this situation." Bugel and Pettibone only got one shot at head coaching, whereas Williams gets to try one time, then study under a HOFer, then try again.

Also, hopefully Williams takes over with a better situation than Pettibone had here or Bugel had in Arizona.

Joe Bugel had 2 head coaching jobs. He was also the head coach for the Raiders.

gregg williams as head coach and al saunders as offensive coordinator.. gibbs as gm.. still getting chances to calls plays here and there..

Close the thread on this one. That comment should end discussion.

I couldn't agree more, if thats the case, we're in for a whole bunch of good years.

:notworthy:helmet::notworthy

If GW gets the Skins head job , I don't think the locker room would embrace his ego..

The man loves to hear himself talk ( Which isn't bad if its just you and your wife) but we're talking about NFL Players who's egos are as wide as the Atlantic Ocean. That doesn't look like a good match..

don't you think he's learned anything from Gibbs about humble character, demeanor and presence?

He'll kick that ego to the curb when its his time to lead....there's no denying that Gibbs' characteristics go hand in hand with leadership.

G-Dub is a genius, & a great motivator. He's locked up for good & we all know he's gonna be the next H C of the skins, & yeah we've got more talent, & a better coaching staff for Williams to work w/ when he takes over for good. I believe that if Gibbs doesn't Win another SB for us Williams will. I definatley belive Greg Williams will win us 1 or 2 Lombardi Trophies as the head coach of the Skins.

Hail!

Archived