Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Greg Williams as head coach

MaxHardware

Everyone assumes GW will be the next head coach of the Skins (pray that Gibbs doesn't leave soon).

But we all know that he was head coach in Buffalo and stunk the joint up. Last time Gibbs was here and Pettibone became head coach when he left. Disaster.

What makes anyone so sure that GW will be any better here as head coach than he was at Buffalo? Yeah, you can point to a worse situation in Buffalo, but was it really that much worse? If so, how?

Greg Williams scares me more than any defensive coordinator in the game. He has absolutely no regard for what weapons the other teams has, he is going to blitz you into submission no matter what, and that is a stretegy that, with the right personel and scheme, is deadly.

However, as we saw in Buffalo, he does not appear to be an elite level head coach. I see Al Saunders as a more likely HC candidate.

However, as we saw in Buffalo, he does not appear to be an elite level head coach. I see Al Saunders as a more likely HC candidate.

It did not appear that Bill Belichick would be an elite level head coach after his stint in Cleveland either. And let's not forget that Saunders failed as a HC in San Diego as well.

I think if you give Gregg Williams a real QB this time around he will do fine. ;)

And let's not forget that Saunders failed as a HC in San Diego as well.

Wasn't that like 20 years ago though? I think either Saunders or Williams will be great choices for when Gibbs decideds he is done for good (hopefully not until after winning at least 1 more Super Bowl)!

In buffalo he not a very good offense. His defense were always good. When gibbs leaves saunders will probably be here so he will have some offense this time. Drew bledsoe was injury prone in buffalo. Plus he lost alot of startes on hi defense and offense. The bills got rid of him and hired Malurky i think, to replace him for their lack of offense but they still stunk the joint up so i dont think it was his fault why they were sorry.

Look at the horrid offense he had in Buffalo. At that time he had no running back, no offensive line, and only Moulds to throw to. Not to mention one of the cheapest owners. He wasnt set up for success but still had one of the best defensive units in the game. Leave Gregg with the offensive talent we have now and I dont think we will miss a beat.

GW had nobody to teach him his first time coaching, he is learning from a master now and will continue to learn another 3 years. Gibbs said his contract is 5 years and he plans on honering it. By 5 years, GW will know how to coach this Redskins team or any team he plans to.

I think GW will be a fine HC. The only thing that scares me with him coaching the Skins, is will we lose that family feeling we have right now.

I think if he can mimic it with his fierce personality, we will be perfectly fine.

Also, it is known that when GW was coaching, the owner and GM both wanted him to coach a certain way. He said he learned, the next time he is a HC, he will coach the team his way, and no one elses.

You learn from mistakes, don't judge someone after one try.

Wasn't that like 20 years ago though? I think either Saunders or Williams will be great choices for when Gibbs decideds he is done for good (hopefully not until after winning at least 1 more Super Bowl)!

Yeah, I just mentioned it because Williams' failure in Buffalo was brought up. I don't think one failed HC tenure is proof of anything depending on the circumstances. There are obvious exceptions (see Marty Morningwheg, Rod Dowhower and Steve Spurrier).

I think that Gregg Williams had a bit of a humbling experience in Buffalo. Now, as an assitant to a HOFer, he has a chance to learn from one of the best. He can see how Gibbs handles certain situations that he had a hard time with in Buffalo. Williams is learning how to be a good head coach from one of the best the game has ever seen. I expect Gregg Williams to shine the next time he gets a head coaching opportunity. Why do you think so many team were trying to hire him last offseason?

I think that Gregg Williams had a bit of a humbling experience in Buffalo. Now, as an assitant to a future HOFer, he has a chance to learn from one of the best. He can see how Gibbs handles certain situations that he had a hard time with in Buffalo. Williams is learning how to be a good head coach from one of the best the game has ever seen. I expect Gregg Williams to shine the next time he gets a head coaching opportunity. Why do you think so many team were trying to hire him last offseason?

How many former asst coaches of Gibbs have gone on to be good/great HCs? Gibbs doesn't have the coaching tree that Paul Brown, Bill Walsh or Parcells do. Which isn't a bad thing because Lombardi's assts didn't do anything either. But to assume Gibbs is going to put the magic touch on GW is a bit of a stretch.

In buffalo he not a very good offense. His defense were always good. When gibbs leaves saunders will probably be here so he will have some offense this time. Drew bledsoe was injury prone in buffalo. Plus he lost alot of startes on hi defense and offense. The bills got rid of him and hired Malurky i think, to replace him for their lack of offense but they still stunk the joint up so i dont think it was his fault why they were sorry.

Stay in school.

How many former asst coaches of Gibbs have gone on to be good/great HCs? Gibbs doesn't have the coaching tree that Paul Brown, Bill Walsh or Parcells do. Which isn't a bad thing because Lombardi's assts didn't do anything either. But to assume Gibbs is going to put the magic touch on GW is a bit of a stretch.
I know that Joe Bugel and Richie Pettibone did not have success as head coaches, but I think that this is a different situation. Williams has already been a head coach, so he knows first hand the challenges that a head coach will face. That experience will help Williams learn from Gibbs, because he knows what to look for from the HOFer. You can imagine Williams thinking, when the team is confronted with problems that he struggled with in Buffalo, "Now let's see how Gibbs handles this situation." Bugel and Pettibone only got one shot at head coaching, whereas Williams gets to try one time, then study under a HOFer, then try again.

Also, hopefully Williams takes over with a better situation than Pettibone had here or Bugel had in Arizona.

I know that Joe Bugel and Richie Pettibone did not have success as head coaches, but I think that this is a different situation. Williams has already been a head coach, so he knows first hand the challenges that a head coach will face. That experience will help Williams learn from Gibbs, because he knows what to look for from the HOFer. Bugel and Pettibone only got one shot at head coaching, whereas Williams gets to try one time, then study under a HOFer, then try again.

Bugel got two shots, although the 2nd chance was 1 season with the Raiders. Williams seems to be more of a Buddy Ryan type, who he learned a great deal from in Houston. Guys like that want to do it one way...their own.

GW will be much better this time around, for several reasons.

#1. Everyone on this team already respects the HELL out of him, especially on defense. They will all happily go to war for him.

#2. He'll still primarily work with the defense (which will be stellar for as long as he runs it) and he'll have Saunders to provide him with a good offense. He'll just assume control of more of the strategic decision making. His problem in Buffalo was he had no offense. Saunders solves that problem.

#3. The upper management and ownership of the Buffalo Bills is one of the worst in the league. The upper management and ownership of the Skins is Gibbs and Snyder, one of the best in the league.

Bugel got two shots, although the 2nd chance was 1 season with the Raiders. Williams seems to be more of a Buddy Ryan type, who he learned a great deal from in Houston. Guys like that want to do it one way...their own.

Yeah, I forgot about the Raiders. Still, I can't help but think that Bugel might have had some success if he got a chance to coach in a better situation. . .

I can see why you think Williams is hardheaded, but I think he is learning a lot here. I geuss it could just be PR, but I've heard Gregg Williams make many references to how much he is learning from Joe Gibbs. I specifically recall him saying that he is learning a lot from the way Gibbs deals with people in general, and orients a team towrds a goal specifically.

The atmoshphere within the organization here is different not to mention the personnel (check spelling). Add in the fact that GW has learned more now about how to coach a team and make calls because he's learning from one of the greatest coaches/individuals in the game. Also, if he really wants to be a HC than he would be a fool to think that his old ways would work the second time around. Its not hard to see why coaches that are given a second HC position usually (not always) do better; its because of what they learned in the time between their first failure and their current situations. Of course only time will tell if he becomes HC.

I may be in an infinitesimal minority, but I have always felt Petitbon did not get a proper shake as HC. He was practically rushed out the door for flavor-of-the-week Norv Turner. He deserved better, if for nothing else than his years of service under Gibbs.

Archived