Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Can we Trust John Hall to make clutch kicks?

skinfan2k

To become a serious contender for the superbowl, i think you need these ingredients to succedd.

QB

offensive line/running game

strong defense

reliable FG kicker

Can we trust john hall to make a 45 yd fg at the end of regulation to win us games if it were to come to that? Can we trust John Hall to kick a good kickoff? Can we trust John Hall to make kicks from 50 and further?

I don't think the problem was ever about John Hall making clutch kicks, but the fact that he had a seperated tendon from his hip bone to his thigh muscle that was consistently misdiagnosed as a muscle tear.

Tendon tears require surgery and that is why he kept reinjuring himself the last 2 years, in reality it is freaking amazing he played like he did, could you imagine kicking a football with your thigh muscle tendon torn from the bone? That is hardcore.

It got properly diagnosed a few months ago and now it is fixed, so everything should be just fine. That is why we are not looking for a new Kicker for John the way Frost is on the hot seat. I think a lot of people didn't hear about that injury/surgery.

Misdiagnoses of that kind can be bad, ie: Lavar Arrington, but they happen, and now hopefully its all better.

I am not that worried any more, I was worried when there wasn't an explaination for Hall's decreased performance.

:point2sky

I don't understand why Gibbs believes that resting Hall this off-season will make all the difference. We need someone who can make 50 yarders. Hall choked on a 30-yarder in the playoffs. He's not even in the same league.

Yes.

When healthy, he's been a fine kicker. Considering he's kicked the majority of his career in the Meadowlands, his career stats are very very good. His only injury free season with us (2003) he was great and kicked some clutch field goals.

Also, if people want to blame somebody for the loss in Seattle, I can think of at least one person (who's "super smart") who was far more responsible for the loss than John Hall.

I'd take Hall off kickoff duty and use him solely as the FG kicker to reduce the threat of his injury recurring.

I don't understand why Gibbs believes that resting Hall this off-season will make all the difference. We need someone who can make 50 yarders. Hall choked on a 30-yarder in the playoffs. He's not even in the same league.
It's impossible to judge a kicker on one kick that occurred in rainy weather.

Clint

You've got to be kidding, when he's healthy he's a top 15 kicker. He hasn't been healthy in a while, so I guess you guys have forgotten how good he can be.

Also, what's with people wanting Novak? He wasn't that great, and he kicked too low.

I wouldn't give up on Hall just yet. When healthy, Hall is one of the better kickers in the NFL. I'm just fine with having Hall as our kicker this season. Furthermore, if our offense improves like we all think it should with our offseason additions, Hall shouldn't have that many attempts over 50 yards.

He missed a clutch kick against San Diego that would have won it regulation for us. Instead LT ran it in for a touchdown for the win. I know that the rabach penalty put us in the hole, but he should be able to make a 45 yard kick and that one wasn't even close. I just think that we need a kicker that can make long kicks. If he is healthy this year then we have nothing to worry about. If not, it could be the difference to getting back to the playoffs.

I don't think it was ever about John Hall make clutch kicks, but the fact that he had a seperated tendon from his hip bone to his thigh muscle that was consistently misdiagnosed as a muscle tear.

Tendon tears require surgery and that is why he kept reinjuring himself the last 2 years, in reality it is freaking amazing he played like he did, could you imagine kicking a football with your thigh muscle tendon torn from the bone? That is hardcore.

It got properly diagnosed a few months ago and now it is fixed, so everything should be just fine. That is why we are not looking for a new Kicker for John the was Frost is on the hot seat. I think a lot of people didn't hear about that injury/surgery.

Misdiagnoses of that kind can be bad, ie: Lavar Arrington, but they happen, and now hopefully its all better.

I am not that worried any more, I was worried when there wasn't an explaination for Hall's decreased performance.

I didn't know about that.. I've been pretty down on old John, but you have restored my hope!

I'll take Hall as our kicker and lets hope he stays healthy. Not to make comparisons, but since this is looking like the Skins most promising season since 2000, lets hope our placekicker situation doesn't turn out to be as precarious as it was that year!!

I think he was an excellent kicker when he was healthy. He was accurate and had good distance. That type of injury would destroy any kicker. Hopefully this time he is fully recovered.

As an added bonus don't forget this guy is not afraid to lay a hit.

He missed a clutch kick against San Diego that would have won it regulation for us. Instead LT ran it in for a touchdown for the win. I know that the rabach penalty put us in the hole, but he should be able to make a 45 yard kick and that one wasn't even close. I just think that we need a kicker that can make long kicks. If he is healthy this year then we have nothing to worry about. If not, it could be the difference to getting back to the playoffs.

It was 52 yards... makeable, but I dont know if you expect your average kicker to hit that.

Great question. I equate kicking to golf, kickers are put in a tough spot. They're asked to step in and hit it pure their first time out..there's no room for error, no where to hide. It doesnt matter how many practice kicks they take on the sideline, the real kick is still unpredictable; sortof like my golf swing on the first tee (it really doesn't matter how many buckets of balls I warmed up with), that first shot hooks straight right, well unless there's money on the line.

Anyways, its their job, and they must step up and accept it.

I dont care if someone doesnt want a Nick Novak thread or not yet John Hall is not mark moseley nor was Nick Novak. Yet Nick was a better clutch kicker than Hall for the short time he kicked for us. :gaintsuck :) :) :point2sky

Everyone forgets that Novak's kickoffs were always between 10 and 15 yard line. He has no leg. The reason he was getting is kicks blocked was he had to kick them so low to get enough power....Hall is a top ten kicker when healthy and hopefully since they figured out the problem with his tendon, he will remind us all of what he used to be.

not a chance- hes very accurate from within 40- but anywhere from there out he is horrible- he just doesnt have the leg power. case and point: he cant kick a kick off past the 10 yd line- for an NFL kicker- that is embarrassing. in comparison, i went to Ohio St. games the last couple years and saw first hand their kickers (smaller bal i know, but the point is clear) routinely kick kickoffs thru the field goal posts with room to spare-

I don't think it was ever about John Hall make clutch kicks, but the fact that he had a seperated tendon from his hip bone to his thigh muscle that was consistently misdiagnosed as a muscle tear.

It got properly diagnosed a few months ago and now it is fixed, so everything should be just fine. That is why we are not looking for a new Kicker for John the was Frost is on the hot seat. I think a lot of people didn't hear about that injury/surgery.

If true, this is very good news.

Thanks.

Archived