Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

Damn, Kazushi Sakuraba fought on this card?! He's my favorite fighter of all-time!!!! Damn! And he's won 2 fights since losing to 'Roid Gracie in a 15 minute grappling session. I thought he came down with a disease that would put him out of fighting! Bummer, I hope to catch the rest of his bouts until he retires.

he fought on K-1 Dynamite card that aired around the same hour as Yarennoka

this NYE Yarennoka event is reminding me alot of Pride. same atmosphere and pretty good fights so far

I'm dling some of those. Some straight Japanese and other rips from HDNet. HDNet announcers suck so much. This other guy was worse than Trigg.

Back to the event. It's pretty refreshing to see knees on the ground and the ref not running in like someone is killing a puppy.

I'm dling some of those. Some straight Japanese and other rips from HDNet. HDNet announcers suck so much. This other guy was worse than Trigg.

Back to the event. It's pretty refreshing to see knees on the ground and the ref not running in like someone is killing a puppy.

I agree about the knees. :doh:

Care to PM where you're downloading these from? :)

How much the fighters made for UFC 79 according to http://mmajunkie.com/

Chuck Liddell : $550,000 ($500,000 for showing, $50,000 for Fight of the night)

Georges St. Pierre : $210,000 ($80,000 for showing, $80,000 for winning, $50,000 for Submission of the night)

Wanderlei Silva : $200,000 ($150,000 for showing, $50,000 for Fight of the night)

Matt Hughes : $100,000

Eddie Sanchez : $96,000 ($23,000 for showing, $23,000 for winning, $50,000 for KO of the night)

Lyoto Machida : $60,000 ($30,000 for showing, $30,000 for winning)

Rameau Sokoudjou : $40,0O0

Rich Clementi : $28,000 (14k + 14k)

Dean Lister : $22,000 (11k + 11k)

Manny Gamburyan : $20,000 (10k +10k)

James Irvin : $16,000 (8k + 8k)

Melvin Guillard : $10,000

Roan Carneiro : $10,000 (5k + 5k)

Tony DeSouza : $7,000

Mark Bocek : $6,000 (3k + 3k)

Nate Mohr : $6,000

Soa Palelei : $5,000

Luis Cane : $5,000

Jordan Radev : $5,000

Doug Evans : $3,000

^^^^^Makes you wonder how these guys make ends meet.^^^^^^^^^^^

To make it in the game you have to train pretty much non stop, how do you do that and work? I guess you can make money doing appearances but if you're an up and comer and not a household name good luck with that. I guess you could train guys but not everyone is a good teacher. As long as guys are making so little money MMA will never take the spotlight away from boxing. These guys should be making a hell of a lot more money than this, sorry. Being here in Vegas I know for a fact that Zuffa is making a killing on ticket sales alone. These events sell out in minutes; throw in the merchandising and advertising and these fighters are getting screwed IMO. No wonder Randy is pissed off. He should be making easily as much as Chuck if not more. Hell Chuck should be making about $750,000 + a cut of the PPV and ticket sales for putting asses in the seats.

I think Mark Cuban getting envolved will take MMA to a whole different level. If Zuffa doesn't step up their game Cuban and his venture will steel their fighters and push them out of the game.

Chuck does get a percentage of the PPV. Tickets don't sell out in minutes. Zuffa comps tickets to every bout. The UFC does make some serious coin. There is so many bonuses that are out of the limelight that we don't know about. Can't forget about the sponsers for the fights.

As for Randy, Chuck is the face of the UFC. Randy is a nice feel good story, but Chuck is the one that was on Conan, MTV, ESPN, ESPN the Magizine etc. etc. Randy signed a contract and now is mad about the contract he signed, so he is walking away. The money is just starting to roll in for MMA

GSP against Serra in CANADA? Uh oh............

http://mmajunkie.com/2008/01/02/georges-st-pierre-and-matt-serra-could-unify-titles-in-april-in-canada/

Georges St. Pierre and Matt Serra Could Unify Titles in April — in Canada

Posted by MMA Junkie on January 2, 2008 at 11:17 am ET

Georges St. Pierre interim champWith his victory over Matt Hughes at this past weekend’s UFC 79 event, Georges St. Pierre may have set up one of the biggest welterweight fights in MMA history — and it could come in his native Canada.

St. Pierre, who bested Hughes for the second time in three fights with a second-round arm-bar submission at this past weekend’s UFC 79 event, is now the UFC’s interim welterweight champion. Up next? A likely fight with current champ Matt Serra.

Serra was originally slated to face Hughes this past weekend — the bout had been teased for three months while the two fighters served as coaches on the latest season of “The Ultimate Fighter” — but he had to pull out of the fight in November with a herniated disc. St. Pierre got the call instead, and to jazz up the main-event bout, the UFC awarded the winner an interim title.

There’s still no timetable for Serra’s return, but UFC President Dana White is optimistic it’ll be in time for the Canada event — one that he promised would happen during a pre-UFC 79 press conference.

“Matt Serra is very confident that… he’ll be ready for April,” White said over the weekend.

However, even if Serra isn’t ready to go, White said he wants St. Pierre — Canada’s most popular fighter — on the card anyway.

“It’s our goal,” he said.

The event will likely take place April 19 at Montreal’s Bell Centre. It’ll be the first-ever UFC event north of the U.S. border; the UFC tentatively scheduled two prior events in Canada but eventually scratched them due to scheduling conflicts.

Serra and St. Pierre met once before — at UFC 69 (coincidentally, an event that was originally slated to take place in Canada). In what has been dubbed the biggest upset of 2007, Serra parlayed a title shot he earned by winning “The Ultimate Fighter 4” into a first-round TKO upset of newly minted welterweight champ St. Pierre.

The win has largely been considered a fluke; St. Pierre is still considered one of the top two or three pound-for-pound fighters in the world while Serra’s lucky to be considered a top-five welterweight in many rankings. Regardless, even St. Pierre said he doesn’t consider himself a legitimate title-holder until he can manage to get by Serra.

“It means nothing to me,” St. Pierre said of the interim belt. “Thanks to the UFC for giving me (this). It’s a good honor, but the real champion is Matt Serra, and until I get my belt… back, I won’t consider myself the real champion.“

The upcoming event, which will likely be UFC 83 or UFC 84, will also likely feature middleweight (and Canadian) Jason MacDonald.

Check out the UFC Rumors section of MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) for the latest news about this and other UFC events.

Kimbo Slice to take on Tank Abbott Feb. 16

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news.asp?n_id=10706

Friday, January 04, 2008

by Sherdog.com Staff

Kevin "Kimbo Slice" Ferguson (Pictures) will fight David "Tank" Abbott in the main event of a Feb. 16 EliteXC show in Miami, the promotion announced Friday.

Both fighters built reputations as street brawlers before turning to mixed martial arts.

Ferguson won his professional MMA debut in November, dispatching Bo Cantrell (Pictures) with punches after just 19 seconds. Abbott, 9-13-0, has won only one of seven fights since returning to the sport in 2003 after a stint in professional wrestling.

The card, which will take place at the BankUnited Center and air on Showtime, will also include Gina Carano (Pictures), Antonio Silva, James Thompson (Pictures) and a middleweight match between Scott Smith and Kyle Noke (Pictures).

Kimbo Slice to take on Tank Abbott Feb. 16

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news.asp?n_id=10706

Friday, January 04, 2008

by Sherdog.com Staff

Kevin "Kimbo Slice" Ferguson (Pictures) will fight David "Tank" Abbott in the main event of a Feb. 16 EliteXC show in Miami, the promotion announced Friday.

Both fighters built reputations as street brawlers before turning to mixed martial arts.

Ferguson won his professional MMA debut in November, dispatching Bo Cantrell (Pictures) with punches after just 19 seconds. Abbott, 9-13-0, has won only one of seven fights since returning to the sport in 2003 after a stint in professional wrestling.

The card, which will take place at the BankUnited Center and air on Showtime, will also include Gina Carano (Pictures), Antonio Silva, James Thompson (Pictures) and a middleweight match between Scott Smith and Kyle Noke (Pictures).

it would be better if Kimbo actually fought someone credible, fighting Tank at this point does nothing if he wins, and destroys him if he loses.

UFC 79 was a interesting event: Some good fights. I was happy to see GSP beat Hughes, since I am not a big fan of the guy (though he is an excellent fighter, of course). The Liddell vs. Silva fight was the slugfest I expected; it was epic to see those two fighters in the same ring.

The Fedor was entertaining, to say the least. He looked like a little kid next to that huge fellow.

Henderson vs. Silva would definitely be an cool event. Silva has pretty much demolished everyone he's met, but Silva has fought some top notch competition in two weight classes and fighting organizations. I'd give it a push at this point, but will probably favor Henderson.

it would be better if Kimbo actually fought someone credible, fighting Tank at this point does nothing if he wins, and destroys him if he loses.

True, but I have a hard time seeing Kimbo lose this one. It's a pretty popular ex-UFC slugger in Tank, it should turn some more heads. I don't think Kimbo has earned the right to fight higher contenders after beating one schmuck and a washed up boxer. Tank should have no chance. He killed when the UFC was all bar-fight and no technique, and got exposed like hell against the likes of Belfort and other stepping stone fighters. He's up there in age now, too. Has to have lost some pop to his only weapon - the haymaker. Bas will have Kimbo ready to kill Tank. I'm predicting a KO.

True, but I have a hard time seeing Kimbo lose this one. It's a pretty popular ex-UFC slugger in Tank, it should turn some more heads. I don't think Kimbo has earned the right to fight higher contenders after beating one schmuck and a washed up boxer. Tank should have no chance. He killed when the UFC was all bar-fight and no technique, and got exposed like hell against the likes of Belfort and other stepping stone fighters. He's up there in age now, too. Has to have lost some pop to his only weapon - the haymaker. Bas will have Kimbo ready to kill Tank. I'm predicting a KO.

i too think Kimbo will win with relative ease actually. i'm just saying that career wise, this does nothing for Kimbo. If he wins like he should, he only beat was truly washed up streetfighter. if by some chance he loses, all he's worked for is pretty much irrelevant. i'm by no means saying he should be facing top competition, i just think he should be fighting credible competition.

Chuck does get a percentage of the PPV. Tickets don't sell out in minutes. Zuffa comps tickets to every bout. The UFC does make some serious coin. There is so many bonuses that are out of the limelight that we don't know about. Can't forget about the sponsers for the fights.

They don't sell out in minutes? Where are you buying tickets? I live here and Vegas and I'm here to tell you that good seats are gone in minutes. If you want to pay a couple hundred bucks to sit in nose bleed then that's on you. The good seats don't last long at all and I've seen them scalped for thousands depending on who's fighting. You couldn't get a ticket for the last Chuck/Randy fight, as soon as they went on sale they were gone.

I know these guys get paid but compared to boxing it's chump change and IMO they MMA fighters have to train even harder than boxers to get paid a little of nothing. So you devote your life to MMA and you make $500,000 over the course of a year. Pay your trainers, doctor bills, gym fees and freaking grocery bill not to mention taking care of your family and I bet there isn't much left. Seriously, look at the total purses combined for this fight; it's like a around $1.3Mil. PPV was $40/$50 a pop combined with ticket sales and sponsorship. $1.3Mil probably is probably less than 3% of the gross. That's a freaking rip off.

i too think Kimbo will win with relative ease actually. i'm just saying that career wise, this does nothing for Kimbo. If he wins like he should, he only beat was truly washed up streetfighter. if by some chance he loses, all he's worked for is pretty much irrelevant. i'm by no means saying he should be facing top competition, i just think he should be fighting credible competition.

I agree. Right now it's a popularity contest for Kimbo. Tank was the same type of specimen that Kimbo was. Knuckles on the cheekbone, or die.

After thinking about it a little bit (because I want to route for Kimbo) I wouldn't be surprised by a submission after a stun. Bas was a strong, strong ground gamer. Keeping up with the likes of Frank Shamrock down there (and only exclusively losing 3 times to a [very 'roided out] Ken Shamrock), you know he's a grandmaster of the ground game. I may switch my choice to a Kimbo submission. Makes more sense, more of a likelihood. Tank did have a good jaw back in the day. But he got sat down a lot after the UFC drafted some guys with technical prowess. I think Kimbo wants to show his all-around game. If he gets on top of him, does he beat him down because of the "bad blood"? Or does he submit him to show off his all-around game? Or does he lose? I for one, am a Kimbo fan.

Bas will have Kimbo ready to kill Tank. I'm predicting a KO.

Tank's been popping off at the mouth about Kimbo, calling him a "gay Mr. T" and stuff like that. I don't think it will be hard for Kimbo to get motivated for this fight.

To me, Tank is a good fight for Kimbo now. Tank is past his prime and was always just a street fighter, but he is a step up from the competition that Kimbo's seen at this point. No sense in throwing Kimbo out there to fight top 20 HWs at this point, one step at a time, if he KOs Tank, then he'll get a fighter a little better and before long, if he continues to win, Kimbo will find himself at the forefront of Elite XC and maybe even over at M1 fighting good HWs.

UFC 80: Rapid Fire is in 12 days. The card is pretty pathetic with two good fights at the end. I'm watching this on the comp.

BJ Penn vs. Joe Stevenson

Gabriel Gonzaga vs. Fabricio Werdum

Jess Liaundin vs. Marcus Davis

Wilson Gouveia vs. Jason Lambert

Jorge Rivera vs. Kendall Grove

UFC is obviously still reaching to land good cards. They nailed the last one, but this one is like a hangover. Great night last night, but a terrible morning. They must be praying BJ and Stevenson put on an epic match, and Gabriel stones Fabricio with another head kick.

They don't sell out in minutes? Where are you buying tickets? I live here and Vegas and I'm here to tell you that good seats are gone in minutes. If you want to pay a couple hundred bucks to sit in nose bleed then that's on you. The good seats don't last long at all and I've seen them scalped for thousands depending on who's fighting. You couldn't get a ticket for the last Chuck/Randy fight, as soon as they went on sale they were gone.

I know these guys get paid but compared to boxing it's chump change and IMO they MMA fighters have to train even harder than boxers to get paid a little of nothing. So you devote your life to MMA and you make $500,000 over the course of a year. Pay your trainers, doctor bills, gym fees and freaking grocery bill not to mention taking care of your family and I bet there isn't much left. Seriously, look at the total purses combined for this fight; it's like a around $1.3Mil. PPV was $40/$50 a pop combined with ticket sales and sponsorship. $1.3Mil probably is probably less than 3% of the gross. That's a freaking rip off.

Yeah, when you out do the WWE in PPV gross for the year, you know you are rolling in the money. Seriously, the pay offs that UFC fighters get are embarassing. At least IMHO. Their buy rates are much higher than boxings, I don't understand how Mayweather manages to make millions off of each fight and GSP makes a couple hundred thousand? Doesn't seem right to me.

just read on MMa junkie that thiago silva is possibly fighting Rashad evans.

Silva is gonna stomp a hole in evans and finally expose how overrated he is. I predict a stoppage by the middle of round 2.

http://mmajunkie.com/2008/01/11/reports-thiago-silva-vs-rashad-evans-possible-in-may/

I read this today also. Wasn't Rashad supposed to drop to middleweight? I thought Bisping and Rashad were both going to add depth to that division. Darn. Rashad has KO power, but his previous fights have taught him awesome lessons in all-around game. I wouldn't be surprised by an upset here. Thiago hasn't fought anybody but a KO artists he matched up well with. Rashad might be able to neutralize Silva. Upsets are rampant in the UFC now, it's hard to judge what style will out-do which.

I read this today also. Wasn't Rashad supposed to drop to middleweight? I thought Bisping and Rashad were both going to add depth to that division. Darn. Rashad has KO power. I wouldn't be surprised by an upset here. Thiago hasn't fought anybody but a KO artists he matched up well with. Rashad might be able to neutralize Silva. Upsets are rampant in the UFC now, it's hard to judge what style will out-do which.

silva is gonna murder rashad. rashad has beaten no one of significance. He looked terrible against tito, save for the 3rd round. so he won a split decision vs bisping. bisping is wasnt even top 10 at LHW. David salmon? that was a sweet ko kick, but really, i'm not impressed. he beat brad imes, great, imes was a rookie to MMA. besides, if Rashad wins, it wont be an upset as most people think rashad is better then thiago to begin with.

silva is gonna murder rashad. rashad has beaten no one of significance. He looked terrible against tito, save for the 3rd round. so he won a split decision vs bisping. bisping is wasnt even top 10 at LHW. David salmon? that was a sweet ko kick, but really, i'm not impressed. he beat brad imes, great, imes was a rookie to MMA. besides, if Rashad wins, it wont be an upset as most people think rashad is better then thiago to begin with.

Well, what is Rashad? I think he's still a rookie. He is learning and learning and learning. Very well, I might add. Silva might be too stout for him to handle at this point. But Rashad won the HW TUF, you know the kid can whip in LHW. Against Tito Rashad was doing well. Tito, as much as Chuck ****ed him up, is still a very good fighter. Rashad would have won a 5 round fight with him. I think Rashad will have a good defense for Silva. The only two things you can be afraid of is Rashad gassing, or getting taken down and F'd with by a scary individual. I'll hold my pick for this fight until the fights are on the doorstep, however. :)

Well, what is Rashad? I think he's still a rookie. He is learning and learning and learning. Very well, I might add. Silva might be too stout for him to handle at this point. But Rashad won the HW TUF, you know the kid can whip in LHW. Against Tito Rashad was doing well. Tito, as much as Chuck ****ed him up, is still a very good fighter. Rashad would have won a 5 round fight with him. I think Rashad will have a good defense for Silva. The only two things you can be afraid of is Rashad gassing, or getting taken down and F'd with by a scary individual. I'll hold my pick for this fight until the fights are on the doorstep, however. :)

hey double, we both know you know your mma. for this fight tho, if it were to happen, i believe firmly that it will end with silva being the victor.