Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

Dana White, president of the Ultimate Fighting Championship, is rarely rested, careless by nature and often in range of people with questions and notebooks. So he says a lot, and a great deal of what he says makes no sense.

Last August, for example, White announced that the winner of a fight between Jon Fitch and Thiago Alves would have the next shot at the welterweight title, due to be contested in a fight between Georges St-Pierre and Josh Koscheck. This was the first bout Alves had taken since St-Pierre, the champion, had laid a kind of beating on him that left no one not paid by Alves wanting to see a return. There was also the fact that Fitch had said he would change his weight class rather than fight Koscheck, a teammate at San Jose's American Kickboxing Academy. Still, White said it, sold and promoted the fight on the idea that buying a ticket or ordering the show on pay-per-view would give you, the fight fan, the line on who the next top contender in the UFC's deepest division would be.

In the event, Fitch won the fight, and got no title shot, and most everyone acted as if nothing had happened. Perhaps the point of the thing was White making a show of his power, intimating that Fitch and Koscheck would fight like dogs over a scrap of meat if he so desired. Perhaps -- and this is what UFC officials might tell you -- there was no point, because White just says things, and to act as if they mean anything is to misunderstand who he is and what he does. (I would have liked to ask White, but he didn't respond to an interview request.)

Whatever the case, the real point may have been this: While mixed martial arts is very much a sport, UFC fighting is very much not. There is no crime in this. No form of prize fighting has ever been or ever will be pure, and if UFC were run on Olympic lines its audience would number in the thousands. There are times, though, where the imperatives of sport and business conflict so badly that you can wonder what the point of the whole thing is. And there is no better example of that than what is at stake in Jon Fitch's next run of fights.

Jon Fitch lacks flash but is force in UFC - Tim Marchman - SI.com

I can't really pick against Anderson, but this fight should be competitive nonetheless. If Vitor hits him with a clean shot like Sonnen did, we could see a new champ, But there's an even better chance that Anderson lands on him.

i'm not liking Vitor's chances unless he ends in the first 3minutes. he couldn't make 195 to fight Franklin, i'm not sure how his body is going to respond to cutting an extra 10lbs. add to the fact, he's been out of action for long time, i'm not sure you want your first fight to be against someone as accurate as Anderson.

if he keeps fighting, Anderson will eventually be knocked out. I could see him going out just like Roy Jones. both fighters rely on their reflexes and timing to be dominant, as roy aged, his reflexes left him. i expect the same will happen to Silva eventually

---------- Post added February-4th-2011 at 10:09 PM ----------

Vitor explained that Anderson was wearing the mask because it was Vitor who called Anderson two faced.

this is EXACTLY what they said. word by word:

Silva says: "You're ****ed, you're ****ed,i'll beat up your face."

Belfort responds: " I'm in, brother!" 3x

thumb this up, please

RennedyBr

UFC 126: Loser Leaves Country

Miguel Torres vs. Antonio Banuelos: Torres made the right decision moving his camp to Firas Zahabi's crew after getting dominated by Bowles & Bendavidez. He fought alot smarter in his last fight and ditched the reckless style that got him brutalized the two fights previous. I don't see Torres getting back to where he was, but he has enough tools to beat Banuelos.

Torres by Submission, 2nd Round

Jake Ellenberger vs. Carlos Eduardo Rocha: this is almost the bathroom break portion of the card. not that familiar with Rocha in mma, but i've seen some of his bjj matches, he's got some talent in that area. not sure if it will be enough to overcome Ellenberger's control from a top position though.

Ellenberger by Unanimous Decision

Jon Jones vs. Ryan Bader: I'm giving Bader the obligatory "puncher's chance" in this fight. since moving to Jackson's camp, in 3 fights, I can count on one hand how many times Jones has been hit clean. His defensive improvement has been his greatest improvement since the move. Bader is a strong wrestler, with KO power, but his standup is predictable. The fact that Lil Nog was able to shrug off alot of Bader's takedowns makes me think Bader will have hard time getting Bones to the ground. If Bones uses his freakish reach, he could make this is a long and painful night for Bader. To sum it up, I think Bones has more bullets in his gun to shoot, I see him getting Bader to the ground somehow and ending it with some vicious ground n pound.

Jones by (T)KO, Round 2

Forrest Griffin vs. Rich Franklin: Similar fighters in that they're both good at everything, and excel at nothing. I'm going Frankling in this one simply because I like his striking a little more and I trust his chin alot more than Griffin's.

Franklin by (T)KO, Round 3

Anderson Silva vs. Vitor Belfort: As I stated before, I think Belfort best chances in this fight are in the first 3 minutes. He hasn't been in the cage in a long time, so his timing may be off. Against a fighter like Anderson, that's asking for trouble. The fact that his body hasn't seen 185 in an even longer time leads to think he may fade if the fight goes past first 2 rounds. On the other hand, Vitor has the power and speed to KO anybody at anytime, and if Anderson starts to show his age in the cage, his reflexes won't be as sharp. Offensively, while Vitor has the power, Anderson has the versatility as he'll be attacking with all 8 weapons in his arsenal. I think Vitor connects early and puts a scare into Anderson, but he perseveres to get a KO in a later round.

Silva by (T)KO, Round 3

UFC 126: Tramp Stamps for Ex-Champs

Jon "Bones" Jones vs. Ryan "Darth" Bader: I'm rooting for Bader but of the two fighters, Bones is simply the hotter commodity with more weapons.

Jones by (T)KO, Round 2

Forrest Griffin vs. Rich "Ace" Franklin: Fight of the night potential if they mix it up. I like Franklin's experience and poise over Griffin's size and savageness. These are two guys I really like as personalities so I hate to see either man lose. I actually hope we don't see a finish. A war to the final bell would be ideal for a fan of both.

Franklin by Split D if we get what I hope for in this fight.

Anderson Silva vs. Vitor Belfort: I basically agree with StillUnknown on this fight. Vitor simply hasn't been active enough to be effective after 1.5 rounds against a man that's hard to hit and the new weight class will be odd for him if he's not connecting. I pray that he connects in grand fashion though. I'm tired of Silva.

Silva by finish, Round 3

Thx for the template, SU.

Edited by Chachie

I usually watch on mmashare, their website right now says that they will have 5 streams ready to go once the PPV starts. The last UFC stream they had was incredible and HD, but the one before that was absolute poop.

The channelsurfing.net page is definitely gone. It's worth going to the website just to see the BIG ASS notification by the FBI. Sucks though, I watch most of my sports streams through them.

I usually watch on mmashare, their website right now says that they will have 5 streams ready to go once the PPV starts. The last UFC stream they had was incredible and HD, but the one before that was absolute poop.

The channelsurfing.net page is definitely gone. It's worth going to the website just to see the BIG ASS notification by the FBI. Sucks though, I watch most of my sports streams through them.

yeah atdhe.net got me through alot of sunday skins games :(

Quick picks:

Anderson by reach and technicality, breaks Vitor down and subs him in the third.

Franklin. Forrest is as Forrest does, I think Franklin outsmarts him here. (Unanimous Decision)

Let's see if Ellenburger can work and avoid trouble in this guy's guard. I'll take him by UD as well.

I'll take Jones, especially early in the fight.

Gotta go with Miguel, it's just a ridiculously huge fight for him. Win and get a couple more main card spots, lose and find yourself on the undercard, fighting for your job. I'll bet on him in this pressure situation.

Yammamoto by split decision. Johnson will probably win, but the judges have to **** up somewhere. Gotta start accounting for that.

I think atdhe.tv has replaced .net. At last for now.

it is atdhe.me

it should be harder for the feds to shut it down now that it has a domain from Montenegro.

---------- Post added February-5th-2011 at 08:04 PM ----------

anybody else going to watch Kid Yamamoto on UFC Facebook? it says it starts at 8:25 ET.

Edited by Patrick86L

it is atdhe.me

it should be harder for the feds to shut it down now that it has a domain from Montenegro.

---------- Post added February-5th-2011 at 08:04 PM ----------

anybody else going to watch Kid Yamamoto on UFC Facebook? it says it starts at 8:25 ET.

Yep, T-minus 9 minutes on the stream's countdown. Go to the UFC Facebook page and click on the Live Video tab if you want to watch it everyone.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll