Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

Alright guys. Let's get a little contest going

Strikeforce-Heavyweight-Bracket-Trailer.jpg

PM me all predictions. I'll PM to someone else. Maybe the first person to PM me? Open to suggestions there.

What a crappy setup, btw. I know we've touched on it already, but one half of the bracket has the #1-3 contenders!

---------- Post added January-8th-2011 at 06:05 PM ----------

How about all the losers have to proclaim the winner king of MMA in their sig, or something along those lines.

"Sebowski is the ES MMA Guru" maybe.

Got SU's picks and sent mine to him.

He provided the finish with round, so I did the same. We can use that as a tie breaker, or add it in to a total point system.

Any ideas on scoring? Most correct winners wins is what I was thinking, but I guess we can do different point values per round of the tourney and bonus points for correct finish picks.

Simplest is obviously most picked winners wins and then go to the finishes for a tie breaker.

The 'tournament' is not a crappy setup but is entirely the right one. This tournament is really just a gimmick at best. Here's how it really is. They have the championship match in Overeem vs. Werdum (the number 1 contender). They have Fedor vs Silva as a title contention match and the winner gets a shot at the title. On the other side of the tourney is simply their normal matches to get contendership.

This is probably the normal course of these matches anyway. They simply just called it a tournament. The only difference between this and the UFC setup is that in SF the match progression is already set in place. This is actually very beneficial for SF because they have a hard time getting the fighters to actually fight each other unlike the UFC.

If they had the matches setup like a normal tourney with the top dogs verseus the weak fighters, they might be some upsets which leads to their cash cow not happening which is Overeem vs Fedor which they desperately want for PPV.

He's such a Kharitonov homer :D

:ols:

---------- Post added January-10th-2011 at 10:14 AM ----------

The 'tournament' is not a crappy setup but is entirely the right one. This tournament is really just a gimmick at best. Here's how it really is. They have the championship match in Overeem vs. Werdum (the number 1 contender). They have Fedor vs Silva as a title contention match and the winner gets a shot at the title. On the other side of the tourney is simply their normal matches to get contendership.

This is probably the normal course of these matches anyway. They simply just called it a tournament. The only difference between this and the UFC setup is that in SF the match progression is already set in place. This is actually very beneficial for SF because they have a hard time getting the fighters to actually fight each other unlike the UFC.

If they had the matches setup like a normal tourney with the top dogs verseus the weak fighters, they might be some upsets which leads to their cash cow not happening which is Overeem vs Fedor which they desperately want for PPV.

Didn't think of that. Good point.

I'm glad they decided to give JDS an interim fight it would have really sucked to have seen him and Cain out for almost a year.

But who does JDS fight? I am struggling to see someone that deserves an interim title fight. Mir already has a fight coming up and both Carwin and Lesnar are coming off of losses.

But who does JDS fight? I am struggling to see someone that deserves an interim title fight. Mir already has a fight coming up and both Carwin and Lesnar are coming off of losses.

i agree completely, i hate seeing someone coming off a loss get a title shot, but that appears to be what will happen. I cant see anyone other than Carwin or Lesnar getting that fight agains JDS.

it really is amazing at how fast the perception of the UFC HW division has turned

a year ago its as deep at the top as its ever been, now Cain's injured, Brock been exposed at not knowing how to react to a legitimate hit, Carwin's gas tank has been exposed, Nog's a zombie at this point :(, and Mir will still get bullied by anyone who can stop his takedown

JDS is the lone top guy who's star is still shining

And even his took a hit in his last win. Nelson blew out his knee early in the first round and JDS hit him repeatedly with almost everything he had, and still did not come close to finishing him. I know that Big Country can take a punch and he definitely deserves some credit, but there are a lot of other guys that can take a punch too.

Just not Lesnar.:D

Edited by lovetoaster

i agree completely, i hate seeing someone coming off a loss get a title shot, but that appears to be what will happen. I cant see anyone other than Carwin or Lesnar getting that fight agains JDS.

it really is amazing at how fast the perception of the UFC HW division has turned

a year ago its as deep at the top as its ever been, now Cain's injured, Brock been exposed at not knowing how to react to a legitimate hit, Carwin's gas tank has been exposed, Nog's a zombie at this point :(, and Mir will still get bullied by anyone who can stop his takedown

Thank god for the Strikeforce HW Tourney :silly:

I definitely hope that they put Lesnar or Carwin in with JDS. I'd prefer Carwin, but I'm not sure if he's back to full health or not.

Thank god for the Strikeforce HW Tourney :silly:

I definitely hope that they put Lesnar or Carwin in with JDS. I'd prefer Carwin, but I'm not sure if he's back to full health or not.

I think Dana will try to lure Lesnar back to the ring with the interim-title shot. It's a good idea. Also, I'm no Lesnar fan, but there is zero justification for giving the shot to Carwin over Lesnar.

It's a better matchup/more entertaining fight? :whoknows:

Probably, but I'm speaking strictly on which fighter is more deserving. Also, with Lesnar's future questionable in the octagon, I just don't see any way Lesnar doesn't get the right of first refusal (which he very well may refuse).