Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

(patrick forgive me for jinxing your boy :ols: )

:ols: No problem I got the same prediction. Although I'm actually worried more about his first matchup vs Spong who is extremely technical. If Spong can stay on the outside and pick his shots he could lose a decision to him. I think Overeem's size is going to be too much for him eventually and he will knock him out. Saki vs Ghita will be a war so Overeem will have the advantage fighting that winner. Schilt vs Overeem is the final everyone wants to see anyways it will be epic.

overeem_k-1.jpg

Too bad we won't be seeing anymore of this.

overeem_kneeko_teixiera.gif

K-1 started a total ban of the clinch this year because of it.

Awesome signing by Dana, especially if Kid can get back to top form.

*Edit: looks like he's fighting at bantamweight now, this makes UFC 126 that much more exciting.

http://mmaweekly.com/norifumi-kid-yamamoto-signs-with-ufc-debuts-against-demetrious-johnson-in-february

Norifumi “Kid” Yamamoto Signs With UFC; Debuts Against Demetrious Johnson In February

Norifumi “Kid” Yamamoto is coming to the UFC and MMAWeekly.com has confirmed his first fight. The Japanese superstar will meet Demetrious “Mighty Mouse” Johnson in a bantamweight fight, likely to take place at UFC 126 on Super Bowl weekend in Las Vegas.

Sources close to the negotiations confirmed the bout to MMAWeekly.com on Friday, with at least verbal agreements in place for the February bout.

UFC president Dana White confirmed Yamamoto’s signing on Twitter. The former Dream and K-1 fighter was a powerhouse just a few years ago and was widely considered the top featherweight in the sport before injuries and a run at the Olympics put his fighting career on hold.

While he’s just 1-2 in his last three fights, Yamamoto is still considered one of the most dangerous fighters in his weight class, but he’ll get a “Mighty” big test for his first one in the UFC.

Demetrious “Mighty Mouse” Johnson has proven to be one of the toughest competitors in his short time with the WEC, now transitioning to the UFC. Johnson dropped his first bout in the promotion, but has since gone 2-0. He recently submitted Damacio Page for a big win in November.

Training under legendary coach Matt Hume, Johnson could be poised for a major rise if he can dethrone Yamamoto in his UFC debut in February.

While the fight has not been announced by the UFC at this time, it would seem a lock for Yamamoto vs. Johnson to be a major featured fight on the February card.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2010/12/10/1867718/dana-white-says-the-ufc-has-signed-norifumi-kid-yamamoto

Dana White Says the UFC Has Signed Norifumi "Kid" Yamamoto

Dana White routinely has random conversations with all types of fans on his twitter account, but today there was an interesting tidbit that stood out. He was conversing with someone who was psyched about the signing of Japanese featherweight, Michihiro Omigawa, when the fan mentioned that he hoped they would also get Kid Yamamoto. The UFC president then replied with a simple:

"we did sign kid"

his follows a recent report saying that the long time top featherweight was in negotiations with the UFC, and from the looks of that tweet, seems like it went very well. The article also mentioned that Kid's UFC debut could be as soon as February or March, but that might not be the next time we see him fight, as he is already featured on the poster of Japan's NYE show, Dynamite!! 2010.

We still don't have much details aside from that simple tweet, but if it pushes through, it's still a pretty huge signing. Something that has been long overdue.

Edited by #98QBKiller

unbelievable Kid Yamamoto in the UFC?!

edit: and he is fighting at bantamweight which is a good move.

---------- Post added December-10th-2010 at 03:03 PM ----------

---------- Post added December-10th-2010 at 03:30 PM ----------

Overeem and Spong use to be training partners before Overeem went to Golden Glory and Spong went to Ernesto Hoost.

Edited by Patrick86L

I was anticipating Kid to sign with the WEC two years ago. There was even a Dana White vlog where Dana and Kid were discussing him signing with the WEC.

Following that, Kid stayed in Japan and got beat twice in a row. He's 33, and about to face a level of MMAists he hasn't seen the likes of.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

I was anticipating Kid to sign with the WEC two years ago. There was even a Dana White vlog where Dana and Kid were discussing him signing with the WEC.

Following that, Kid stayed in Japan and got beat twice in a row. He's 33, and about to face a level of MMAists he hasn't seen the likes of.

Yep, I actually think he loses to Demetrius Johnson, even though Johnson's best weight is probably 125

Okay, spoiler alert for K-1 WGP...

Overeem lost the first round, and it was close to 10-8 due to him being warned several times to stop clinching up and throwing knees. Spong even stunned him there in the middle of the round. He looks very sharp, Overeem looks frustrated.

Round 2 was pretty even until the end, Overeem rung Spong much like Spong did to him in the first round. Good fight so far.

Round 3 Alistair is coming on. He backs Spong in to a corner and overwhelms him with big punches. Standing 8 count for Spong, and Overeem controls the rest of the round.

Overeem wins a Unanimous Decision.

In the second half of the fight Overeem would clinch up and simply let go. He was close to throwing those death-knees again but he'd hold back at the last moment. Pretty funny, actually. Could hurt him later in the tourney, either by being penalized or simply the fact that you're taking away his most devastating weapon.

Watching Schilt and Aerts. Aerts looks good for a guy past his prime, almost won round 1. I think Aerts won round 2, but it was close. Round 3 is the Aerts-show, although he's a little bloody from all the jabs Schilt tries to cut him off with. Even so, Aerts was backing Schilt down and unleashing everything he had on him. He secures the upset with a Unanimous Decision, and finds himself in the final once again.

Overeem wins by TKO against Saki by kicking his arm. :ols: Saki threw about 30 strikes to Overeem's 3. That's all it takes to get Reemed, I suppose.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

Aerts is a ****ing legend! He did it again!

---------- Post added December-11th-2010 at 05:21 AM ----------

Gokhan Saki completely annihilated Daniel Ghita. TKO from 3 knockdowns in the first. Dude is tall, Overeem might be the shortest fighter left if Schilt beats Aerts.

You got that mixed up with the Hesdy Gerges vs Fujimoto fight which was a superfight in between the tournament fights. Saki is the shortest fighter left and he won an extension round decision over Ghita.

---------- Post added December-11th-2010 at 05:25 AM ----------

Saki was too messed up from the Ghita fight like I thought. He went down on the first kick Overeem landed to the body. TKO injury.

Aerts is a ****ing legend! He did it again!

---------- Post added December-11th-2010 at 05:21 AM ----------

You got that mixed up with the Hesdy Gerges vs Fujimoto fight which was a superfight in between the tournament fights. Saki is the shortest fighter left and he won an extension round decision over Ghita.

Yeah, just noticed that, my bad! What was up with that matchup? That was about as unfair as it gets.

Yeah, just noticed that, my bad! What was up with that matchup? That was about as unfair as it gets.

Pretty stupid if you ask me. It was a retirement fight for Fujimoto and they match him up with 6'7 Hesdy Gerges who almost beat Schilt in the Final 16 elimination round.

---------- Post added December-11th-2010 at 05:33 AM ----------

Overeem beat Aerts last year easily. This will be interesting to see if Aerts could pull off his 4th K-1 title.

Saki apparently broke his arm in the Ghita fight and still fought Overeem.

---------- Post added December-11th-2010 at 05:49 AM ----------

Aerts has a bad cut and is still choosing to fight at the moment.

edit: Schiavello just confirmed Saki broke his right elbow and hand.

Edited by Patrick86L

The only way I see Aerts taking this is by going after it right away. If he beats Overeem by decision I will be entirely shocked. I can, however, see him landing a hook in a first round adrenaline rush. Overeem doesn't have the best chin in the world!

Yeah Aerts needs to go for broke like he did against Schilt but I see Overeem going into turtle defense for awhile then picking apart that cut until he's done.

Edited by Patrick86L