Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

Strikeforce Challengers VI: Kaufman vs. Hashi Date: Feb 26, 2010

Venue: San Jose Civic Auditorium

Broadcast: Showtime

MAIN CARD

• Takayo Hashi vs. Sarah Kaufman (for first-ever welterweight title)
  • Karl Amoussou vs. Trevor Prangley
  • Paul Bradley vs. Luke Rockhold
  • Tarec Saffiedine vs. James Terry
  • Raul Castillo vs. Yancy Medeiros

PRELIMINARY CARD

• Eric Lawson vs. Wayne Philliips
  • Samuel Bracamnonte vs. Chris Stewart (a)
  • Tristan Arenal vs. George Miller (a)
  • Phil Balducci vs. Jesse Tobar (a)
  • Renee Robinson vs. Lilia Salas (a)
  • Steve Dickie vs. Alan Lummel (a)
  • Ronald Carillo vs. Anthony De Los Santos (a)

(a) - Amateur bout

showtime challengers series returns tomorrow night

I was rewatching UFC 110 last night and realized that they had some pretty big sponsors for that event. USA Today and SI.com both took out mat space, that's got to be a good sign.

Yeah, that was actually the first thing I noticed when the broadcast started. The only question that I have is, could that ever be a conflict of interest? It is just weird to see national media with advertising like that. it would be like ESPN sponsoring the NBA. They provide plenty of coverage obviously, but not sponsorship dollars. It happens more on a local scale, but that has become commonplace. Can you imagine if SI or USA Today ran a negative story about the UFC? Dana would be in the ogtagon himself, cutting those logos off with a box cutter.

Yeah, that was actually the first thing I noticed when the broadcast started. The only question that I have is, could that ever be a conflict of interest? It is just weird to see national media with advertising like that. it would be like ESPN sponsoring the NBA. They provide plenty of coverage obviously, but not sponsorship dollars. It happens more on a local scale, but that has become commonplace. Can you imagine if SI or USA Today ran a negative story about the UFC? Dana would be in the ogtagon himself, cutting those logos off with a box cutter.

I guess it comes down to the almighty dollar. If SI & USA Today are paying Dana the big bucks then I don't think he'll care too much. I actually enjoy SI.com's MMA/Boxing section, they have some good articles that are pretty informed IMO.

Yeah, there have been threads on Sherdog talking about how Mir isn't the first one to say that he's going to kill someone in the octagon. They say the media is just picking on him because it's Brock he wants dead. The fact of the matter is it's the way he said it.

When some fighters go in to the octagon their mentalities are to kill or be killed. Simply put, it's probably helpful for some fighters to think that way in order to amp themselves up and gain maximum focus. But when you say it in a descriptive fashion the way Mir did, it kind of makes you say, "Jesus Christ, WTF?" As opposed to BJ Penn saying "to the death", where you think, "This is gonna be a good fight."

And way to go Mir, you want a death in the octagon, that will really help the sport grow. Selfish ****.

Well said, and I can't agree more. I am actually surprised at the blogs that are saying that he did not do anything wrong. Mir did not mean what he said, at least I hope he did'nt. A lot of guys say similar stuff, but the way that Mir talked about Lesnar was idiotic.

I am sure that Mir is not the first person to say something like this, but I can't think of a specific example of someone else being that descriptive, because if someone said something like this 5-6 years ago, nobody heard it or nobody cared. The sport is more mainstream now and the dumb things that might have been said by Tito Ortiz a decade ago did not get the same coverage as the things Mir says today.

Things people say do not really annoy me that much, but I just think this was dumb. I mean seriously, Lesnar kicked the hell out of Mir not too long ago. Plus comments like this are not the kind of attention that the sport needs when it is trying to grow. Sure, it is always going to be barbaric to a point, that is why a lot of people like it. But I can just imagine a congressman reading Mir's quote off a sheet of paper before voting whether to make the sport legal in places like New York.

I mean, can you imagine Fabricio Werdum saying that he was going to break Fedor's neck and kill him in a prefight interview on CBS in April? They might not be on CBS for very long.

Edited by lovetoaster

I guess it comes down to the almighty dollar. If SI & USA Today are paying Dana the big bucks then I don't think he'll care too much. I actually enjoy SI.com's MMA/Boxing section, they have some good articles that are pretty informed IMO.

Yeah, it is really good, and not too many people know about it. I think it was a great move on their part to get in front of a pretty big audience. And I doubt it would happen, but I started thinking about them running a bunch of puff pieces on the UFC.

"The Axe Murderer: What's His Favorite Color?"

M-1: Fedor Emelianenko fighting Fabricio Werdum in May, off planned April CBS card

by MMAjunkie.com Staff on Feb 25, 2010 at 3:30 pm ET

After weeks of doubt about the fighter's once-expected participation, Fedor Emelianenko will not, in fact, fight in April during Strikeforce's return to CBS airwaves.

According to a report from MMAFighting.com, M-1 officials today said at M-1 Selection Eastern European press conference that Emelianenko will fight Fabricio Werdum – but not until May.

Strikeforce officials have not confirmed plans for the April show, but as MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) reported on Wednesday, it could move to Showtime (or be delayed altogether) now that Emelianenko won't be involved.

As part of his contract with Strikeforce, Emelianenko's fights have to air on CBS rather than its premium-cable partner, Showtime, which has a fraction of the audience.

If it does go on, Strikeforce's April show is likely to take place April 17 in Nashville, Tenn., though Tennessee Athletic Commission Executive Director Jeff Mullen told MMAjunkie.com the organization hasn't officially requested the date. A long-expected bout between Strikeforce middleweight champion Jake Shields and UFC veteran/recent signee Dan Henderson would likely take the event's headline slot, and a likely bout between Strikeforce 205-pound champ Gegard Mousasi and Muhammed "King Mo" Lawal could take the co-main-event slot.

Strikeforce Director of Communications Mike Afromowitz on Wednesday said the organization hopes to have the event details locked in by week's end.

As for Emelianenko's involvement, MMAjunkie.com reported on Wednesday that it had been downgraded from questionable to "unlikely." With M-1's confirmation that Emelianenko will fight in May, a recently rumored May DREAM meeting with Alistair Overeem now also would appear unlikely.

Emelianenko (32-1 MMA, 1-0 SF), a longtime PRIDE champion who made his Strikeforce debut with a November 2009 victory over Brett Rogers, and his M-1 management team previously mentioned Werdum (13-4-1 MMA, 2-0 SF) as the Russian's likely next opponent. The former UFC fighter is 2-0 in Strikeforce with wins over Mike Kyle and Antonio Silva.

OK, I'm confused. So all of Fedor's fight's have to be on CBS, but he is not fighting on the CBS card in April; he is going to fight Werdum in May?

So they could move the CBS card to May and have the April card on Showtime. Or Fedor could have this fight in Japan. If he is in Japan and not fighting Overeem, I would be annoyed. Because I am pretty confident that Overeem is not going to be fighting in the states any time soon. But if it were in Japan, would the belt be on the line?

This news presents so many questions. I was planning on making a trip to Nashville for the April card...those plans are now on hold.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/18107/heavyweights-mirko-cro-cop-filipovic-and-pat-barry-agree-to-ufc-115-meeting.mma

A pair of heavyweight strikers collide in June at UFC 115 now that Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic (26-7-2 MMA, 3-3 UFC) and Pat Barry (5-1 MMA, 2-1 UFC) have agreed to a matchup.

Sources close to the event today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) bout agreement should be distributed shortly and that the competitors were told it'll be part of the night's pay-per-view main card. MMAScrapsRadio.com first reported the fight earlier today.

Barry initially was expected to fight Gilbert Yvel (36-14-1 MMA, 0-1 UFC) at the June 12 event.

Although not officially announced by the UFC, UFC 115 takes at GM Place in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.

With Barry not fighting Filipovic, his original opponent, Yvel, instead fights Ben Rothwell, as MMAjunkie.com first reported earlier today.

Barry's opponent, Filipovic, recently evened his UFC record to 3-3 with a second-round TKO of late replacement Anthony Perosh at UFC 110. (Perosh replaced Rothwell, who was forced off the card due to traveler's flu.) Although sometimes slow and sluggish in the bout, Filipovic nevertheless controlled the pace of the fight and staked claim to the win, which moves him to 4-1 (with one no-contest) over his six fights, which have come in the UFC and DREAM.

A former World Combat League regular and former K-1 kickboxer (with an 18-6 record), Barry transitioned to MMA in May 2008 with the help of famed kickboxer turned MMA trainer Duke Roufus. After just three pro MMA bouts, he made his octagon debut and scored a devastating TKO of Dan Evensen via leg kicks at UFC 102.

Barry then got caught via guillotine choke by Tim Hague at UFC 98 but recently rebounded for a second-round TKO of Antoni Hardonk that earned him the night's "Knockout of the Night" award at UFC 104.

i got Pat Barry finishing CroCop in impressive fashion

It will be interesting to see if Cro-Cop even makes this fight or if it will be like the Jerome LeBanner matchup in Japan and never happen due to "injuries." I'm not saying Cro-Cop is ducking fights but something always seems to happen when he's up for a big bout.

I think Barry finishes him easily if it does happen.

Don't be surprised to see Cro Cop try to take the fight to the ground. Where we can see the equivalent of two pitchers participating in the home run derby.

Is Barry a big HW? I saw his last fight but can't gauge by memory how big he was. Cro Cop seems to mainly have trouble with opponents who are simply heavier and taller than he is.

Is Barry a big HW? I saw his last fight but can't gauge by memory how big he was. Cro Cop seems to mainly have trouble with opponents who are simply heavier and taller than he is.

i think CroCop is going to have problems with anyone who can beat him to the punch. Barry will have a definitive speed advantage over CroCop

I will say though that I don't think Cro-Cop looked as bad as he got ripped for last weekend. Yeah, he didn't KO Perosh and it took two rounds to get the doctor's stoppage but Cro-Cop's striking still looked good, his sprawl was great and the only thing I could see is that he wasn't threatening with his kicks which was surprising. He was content to just use his hands (which got the job done) but I think if he would've implemented his kicks he would've finished quicker.

He's still probably going to get killed by Barry though.

How the hell can this guy make 265?

http://mmajunkie.com/news/18126/strongest-man-mariusz-pudzianowski-announced-for-may-7-ksw-xiii-card.mma

"Strongest Man" Mariusz Pudzianowski announced for May 7 KSW XIII card

by MMAjunkie.com Staff on Mar 01, 2010 at 10:20 am ET

Highly touted super heavyweight rookie Mariusz Pudzianowski (1-0), a five-time World's Strongest Man champion, looks to follow up his successful December 2009 mixed-martial-arts pro debut with a follow-up fight on May 7.

Officials from KSW, a promotion based in Pudzianowski's native Poland, today announced the 33-year-old returns at KSW XIII, though an opponent has not been revealed.

The booking means a potential April 23 matchup with ex-UFC champ Tim Sylvia (25-6) is now unlikely.

As MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) reported over the weekend, the Pudzianowski fight was one of three Sylvia and agent Monte Cox had been considering. The Korean-based fight promotion Moosin reportedly hoped to host the Pudzianowski vs. Sylvia fight at the DCU center in Worcester, Mass.

When Cox spoke to MMAjunkie.com, the fight was in advanced negotiations but not signed. (Legislation sanctioning MMA in Massachusetts goes into effect today.)

The May 7 KWA card will be held in Katowice rather than Warsaw for a larger venue (the 11,000-seat Spodek arena) that can accommodate more fans. Pudzianowski first fight, which ended in a submission victory (due to strikes) over Marcin Najman, was watched by approximately 15 percent of Poland's 38 million residents. Polsat, the country's second largest television station, aired the show and will broadcast the next one, as well.

Mamed Khalidov, who recently defeated Sengoku champion Jorge Santiago in a non-title fight and gets a shot at the belt on March 7 Sengoku Raiden Championships 12, is also expected to compete on the card, though his opponent also was not named.

(Pictured: Mariusz Pudzianowski)

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=10863&zoneid=2

It looks like the king will get the chance to add a new jewel to his crown in April.

Charismatic fighter Muhammed "King Mo" Lawal has signed on to fight for the Strikeforce light heavyweight title when he faces champion Gegard Mousasi on April 17 at the promotion's next major CBS card.

The fight was confirmed to MMAWeekly.com by sources close to the situation on Monday.

Since debuting in 2008, King Mo has taken the sport of MMA by storm, proclaiming he was destined for greatness and that he was happy to prove it against any and all comers. After dispatching of veterans like Travis Wiuff and Mike Whitehead, it looks like Lawal will now try to prove he's championship material.

Rapidly rising up the ranks as one of the best pound-for-pound fighters in the sport, Gegard Mousasi has made everyone take notice of his considerable skills and technique as he's gone undefeated for almost three years.

After conquering the middleweight division in Dream, Mousasi decided to move up to light heavyweight. Since that time he's beaten all of his opponents, including fighters like Renato "Babalu" Sobral and Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou.

Recently leaving his management team of M-1, Mousasi is ready to once again prove he belongs with the best fighters in the world, and try to take some of the swagger out of the step of the always confident Lawal.

The bout between Mousasi and Lawal will serve as co-main event for the upcoming Strikeforce show in April, headlined by middleweight champ Jake Shields defending his title against Dan Henderson. MMAWeekly.com will have more news on this event in the coming days.

Mousasi should win this, but Mo has a chance with his wrestling and punching power