Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

It will be tough for me to see either of these two legends lose to the other. So much respect for the both of them.

It is going to be tough to see, indeed. But it is a fight that was probably going to happen at some point. I just wonder what the future holds for Randy if he loses.

Tito-Coleman has been signed already I believe.

Lil' Nog-Jon Jones?

I never jumped off the Big Nog wagon. I have him winning here and being Brock's stiffest test next. Hopefully he gets to avenge the Mir loss at some point.

I hope Nog destroys Randy personally. That whole "I'm not going to fight Nog, I'll quit the UFC if I can't fight Fedor" still burns me. I'm happy he lost to Brock, and now I hope he loses to Nog.

junkie:

Penn vs. Sanchez targeted for UFC's third show in November; White hints at new broadcast deal

by John Morgan on Aug 27, 2009 at 7:15 pm ET

PORTLAND, Ore. – The recently rumored UFC lightweight title fight between current champion B.J. Penn and challenger Diego Sanchez will happen this fall according to UFC president Dana White, but it won't happen in England.

At today's UFC 102 pre-fight press conference in Portland, Ore., White said he was working on a deal that would see the organization host a third event in November.

And while UFC 105 will air on SpikeTV on Nov. 14 and UFC 106 will be seen on pay per view Nov. 21, White said the potential new date won't be viewed on either platform.

"It's Penn-Sanchez, but I don't know where yet," White said. "We're working on a deal right now. That fight might end up somewhere else – and it definitely won't be in Manchester."

Penn vowed following his January 2008 win over Joe Stevenson in Newcastle, England, that he would no longer fight overseas due to the discrepancy in pay and the challenges of battling jet lag. White insisted that had nothing to do with his decision to move the bout from its originally rumored location.

"B.J. doesn't want to fight anywhere," White joked. "He didn't want to fight in Las Vegas because he didn't like the [the Nevada State Athletic Commission's decision regarding Greasegate.] Then when they called it 'The B.J. Penn Rule,' now he likes Las Vegas and wants to fight. Don't even get me started.

"But listen, you have to fight wherever we have fights. You've got to fight. If I need him to fight in Manchester, he's got to fight in Manchester. But I'm working on something else for him right now."

White confirmed to MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that "something" was a potential third event for the organization in the month of November.

"We could go early November with another fight," White said.

Strikeforce is currently believed to be planning an event for Nov. 7 – a yet-to-be-announced card that would feature the recently booked Fedor Emelianenko vs. Brett Rogers heavyweight clash. While that date would also seem to be the likely night for the UFC's third November card, White insisted he didn't need to launch a live event to successfully counter-program the rival organization.

"I can beat Strikeforce with a show that we've aired 790,000 times," White said. "I don't need to do a live event."

White said the third November event is not yet a certainty, but he's currently working to close a deal for the new card. And should he complete the negotiations, it will apparently include a new broadcast partner as well.

When asked by MMAjunkie.com whether the event would fall to Spike TV or pay per view, White's response was simple.

"Neither," White said. "Wait and see boys."

(Pictured: Dana White)

John Morgan is the lead staff reporter for MMAjunkie.com.

---------

HBO? ESPN? ABC? Fox Sports? Fox?

Three shows in November is awesome. They have so many fighters that doing two shows a much shouldn't be a problem (no more than one ppv though). Three shows is just awesome. Especially if two are free.

HBO? ESPN? ABC? Fox Sports? Fox?

Three shows in November is awesome. They have so many fighters that doing two shows a much shouldn't be a problem (no more than one ppv though). Three shows is just awesome. Especially if two are free.

ESPN/ABC would be the best spot

espn has been slowly incorporating mma more into their regular lineups, showing the weighins on ESPNNEWS and other shows like Sportsnation giving it more press

if the UFC lines up with ESPN/ABC and their promotion machine, mma would get bigger even faster

hell if they can find time to show poker, they can make room for MMA. lol

ESPN/ABC would be the best spot

espn has been slowly incorporating mma more into their regular lineups, showing the weighins on ESPNNEWS and other shows like Sportsnation giving it more press

if the UFC lines up with ESPN/ABC and their promotion machine, mma would get bigger even faster

hell if they can find time to show poker, they can make room for MMA. lol

I agree. They also seem to stay out of the way as far as production goes. I think they finally see that, like Dana says, this is going to be the biggest sport in the world some day, and that the UFC is the NFL/MLB/EPL of it all.

Dana ruled out HBO at the presser today.

Love these quote from Rogers:

http://mma.fanhouse.com/2009/08/27/brett-rogers-when-i-beat-fedor-ill-become-the-god-of-mma/

If you beat Fedor, that will probably go down as one of the biggest ...

I'm God then. I'm the God of MMA. I'll become the God of MMA, right? Isn't that how it goes? I'm the soul snatcher; I'm the grim. I'll take all his wins and put them under my belt, and then everybody can just hush up.

How do you envision this fight ending?

I'm going to knock him out. He's going to give me his chin, somehow, someway. He's going to get sloppy with that overhand right that he loves to do or he'll try to shoot in for a takedown, and I'll catch him with either a knee or an uppercut ... something. I'm going to drop him. I want the crowd to go (gasp). I want to get that reaction out of people. So I can't wait.

-----

One thing for sure, he will not be afraid of Fedor. I think that is exactly how he needs to fight him. This one will end quickly one way or another.

Just ran into some more stuff while lying in bed sick, but can't sleep because I took a 5hr energy hoping it would make me feel better.

http://www.sherdog.com/news/articles/1/wec-safe-ufc-likely-to-add-lighter-weight-classes-19341

PORTLAND, Ore. -- Much ink has been spilled over the likelihood of World Extreme Cagefighting being absorbed by its parent company, but UFC President Dana White attempted to put to rest any speculation of the WEC’s eventual demise at a Thursday press conference for UFC 102.

While conceding that folding the WEC into the UFC “makes some sense,” White maintained that he has a good contract with the Versus Network and its parent company, Comcast, and has no interest in dissolving that relationship.

“The WEC is not going away,” White said.

Earlier in the press conference, White characterized the chances of adding lighter weight classes to UFC as “pretty good” and the time frame as “pretty soon,” which led to speculation about the WEC and its future.

The difference in viewership and growing concerns of top level fighters in the WEC over a perceived compensation disparity have created a situation that may not be tenable for the UFC in the long run.

“Even with all the things that we know how to do and the deal that we have with Versus -- which is a great deal -- it’s still hard to make money and to pay the guys what they deserve to be paid, or what they think they deserve to be paid, and to run the business and make it a profitable business,” said White. “There is always going to be huge discrepancy in the pay between WEC and UFC.”

Lower weight classes making their way to the big show could be a way of alleviating some of the concerns. The pay and bonuses paid to UFC fighters are much higher than in the WEC. The fighters will also benefit from the marketing machine the promotion has built. The added attention those three letters -- UFC -- attract cannot be discounted.

“We’re going to be doing like three fights a month next year,” said White, explaining the possible need for more fighters, including main event level talent.

With the busy schedule and the planned further expansion, headline fighters will be in high demand for the promotion. WEC fighters like former champions Urijah Faber and Miguel Torres have proven to be solid draws, and the men who have since supplanted them as WEC titleholders, Mike Thomas Brown and Brian Bowles, have shown themselves to be worthy of their world-class status.

The UFC will look at more than just featherweight or bantamweight divisions. White made it clear that, as the sport continues to grow and expand into other markets, there will be sufficient talent to accommodate more weight classes.

“I think we could go as low as boxing has. Now that we have gone into Mexico -- and Mexico ratings are kicking ass -- I think you’re going to see a lot of Mexican fighters, and those guys are small,” said White.

With contractual obligations and the future of the WEC with which to contend, it will not be an easy fix. Keeping Versus happy and figuring out a way to keep the WEC viable as a developmental organization will be keys to making it work.

“There’s obviously some things that need to be worked out, but we can figure this thing out,” White said. “We’ve had bigger problems.”

In other news from the pre-fight press conference for UFC 102 …

Some of the best Dana quotes ever

• White commented on former light heavyweight champion Quinton “Rampage” Jackson being up for the roll of B.A. Baracus in the remake of the 1980s television show “The A-Team.” He is none too thrilled about the possibility and hopes Jackson does not get the part. White made it clear that he thinks fighters should fight and actors should act. He said as much to Jackson when the former champion came to him and told him of his plans, stating he had a sentimental reason for wanting to play Mr. T’s old role. Apparently, he had grown up watching the show with his father and told White how great it would be to get the role.

White’s response to Jackson?

“Guess what Rashad Evans is thinking about right now? He’s thinking about beating your f--king ass. OK? He’s not sitting around thinking about how him and his mom used to watch ‘The Love Boat’ together and he wants to get the role of Isaac the Bartender. Get a f--king grip dude.

“[Evans] hates Rampage more than anyone on the planet, and all he is thinking about is killing him. And [Jackson] wants to play B.A. Baracus on The A-Team,” White added. “This s--t drives me f--king nuts, so, no, I am not a big fan of fighters doing movies. When your career is over and you turn into a movie star, that’s awesome.”

:hysterical:

Rogers has a puncher's chance, and a slight one at that. He's developed some decent knees as of late, but who has caught Fedor with a clean knee to the face? Don't think Rogers, a guy that obviously spends most of his time working on punching power, will be the first.

I think he's another Houston Alexander. Big, scary dude that looks like he can flip a car, but is too one-dimensional. Arlovski played right in to that one dimension off the bat. Fedor has too many weapons to lose this fight. If he ends up losing, it will obviously be a huge surprise.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

M-1 Global "Breakthrough" is tonight. Fedor and Gegard are gonna toss each other for fun and King Mo is on tap. HDNet/Sopcast.

* Heavyweight bout: Mark Kerr vs. Muhammed Lawal

* Exhibition bout: Fedor Emelianenko vs. Gegard Mousasi

* Middleweight bout: Lucio Linhares vs. Mikhail Zayats

* Heavyweight bout: Rob Broughton vs. Jessie Gibbs

* Middleweight bout: Karl Amoussou vs. John Doyle

* Heavyweight bout: Lloyd Marshbanks vs. Michał Kita

* Catchweight (159lbs) bout: Ferrid Kheder vs. Daisuke Nakamura

M-1 Global "Breakthrough" is tonight. Fedor and Gegard are gonna toss each other for fun and King Mo is on tap. HDNet/Sopcast.

* Heavyweight bout: Mark Kerr vs. Muhammed Lawal

* Exhibition bout: Fedor Emelianenko vs. Gegard Mousasi

* Middleweight bout: Lucio Linhares vs. Mikhail Zayats

* Heavyweight bout: Rob Broughton vs. Jessie Gibbs

* Middleweight bout: Karl Amoussou vs. John Doyle

* Heavyweight bout: Lloyd Marshbanks vs. Michał Kita

* Catchweight (159lbs) bout: Ferrid Kheder vs. Daisuke Nakamura

What time?

If WEC is absorbed into the UFC, it will be a sad day for BJ Penn. Their 155 division is STACKED. Ben Henderson vs Penn would be a good fight.

I'm also pretty excited about the possibility of airing a fight on a network. I think this could be the beginning of the end for UFC on PPV. It won't take long for the networks to realize that UFC cards will be a goldmine in terms of selling ads. The contracts they will give the UFC will probably end up being worth more than they get from PPV.

Just ran into some more stuff while lying in bed sick, but can't sleep because I took a 5hr energy hoping it would make me feel better.

http://www.sherdog.com/news/articles/1/wec-safe-ufc-likely-to-add-lighter-weight-classes-19341

Some of the best Dana quotes ever

:hysterical:

:laugh:

Damn Dana tell us how you really feel. I understand what Rampage is doing, he's getting closer to the end of his fighting career so he's setting himself up with more options after his fighting days are over but Rashad is still one of the best young guys out there and I hope Rampage isn't shrugging him off.

I still feel like Rashad is going to get ktfo as long as Rampage takes this fight seriously though.

If WEC is absorbed into the UFC, it will be a sad day for BJ Penn. Their 155 division is STACKED. Ben Henderson vs Penn would be a good fight.

I'm also pretty excited about the possibility of airing a fight on a network. I think this could be the beginning of the end for UFC on PPV. It won't take long for the networks to realize that UFC cards will be a goldmine in terms of selling ads. The contracts they will give the UFC will probably end up being worth more than they get from PPV.

I don't think Penn has anything to worry about unless Aoki or Alvarez get signed by the UFC.

If they do merge the promotions one day though, the LW division will be rejuvenated like no other with all of the different styles that the guys have over in the WEC. To me, it seems like there are a ton of lay & pray guys in the fold in the UFC right now (Sherk, Edgar, Griffin, Guida, etc.) I'd like to see guys like Jamie Varner, Donald Cerrone and even Razor Rob come over just to mix up the styles a bit and make things more exciting.

Nobody at LW in the WEC deserves to breathe the same air as BJ.

CHeck this out though:

sherdog:

Exclusive: Mir Talks the ‘Spider’s’ Challenge

Options: ShareThis| Printer Friendly

Exclusive: Mir Talks the ‘Spider’s’ Challenge

Friday, August 28, 2009

by Jake Rossen (jrossen@sherdog.com)

A brief break from UFC 102 coverage: last week, SportsIllustrated.com’s Josh Gross circulated a report that had Anderson Silva and management kicking around the idea of a heavyweight bout.

Their ideal opponent? Depending on how Silva decides to pack on weight, diabetes. Second choice: Frank Mir.

If that sounds like an audacious plan, Mir himself doesn’t see it that way. His theories on Silva’s pseudo-challenge and how the hypothetical fight might transpire below.

Sherdog.com: What was your reaction to the news that Anderson Silva was singling you out?

Frank Mir: It would be a pleasure. It would be like saying you get to go in there and hit Tom Brady. Certain people in our sport have certain abilities, and he’s obviously going to be a legend. He’s never sparred with me, so the only way I can get to work with him is to beat him down in a fight. I look at it as a huge honor.

Sherdog.com: Why do you think they floated your name specifically?

Mir: I think he feels that out of all the heavyweights, I’d be the least likely to shoot on him before anybody else. Stylistically, it’s to his advantage. If he’s going to fight a heavyweight, standing up and trying to pick him apart is probably his best avenue for victory. Which heavyweight is less likely to take him down? I probably have one of the weaker shots in the heavyweight division. Cain Velasquez, Brock Lesnar, Shane Carwin -- all those guys wrestled in college at high levels. I only wrestled for two years in high school. If you’re going to stop someone’s shot, it’s probably easier to stop mine. I’ve also shown in my last couple of fights that I like to stand up.

Sherdog.com: So you’d stand with him?

Mir: Yeah, as long as I could. If he rings my bell, I’m going to go ahead and try to take him down. But why would I want to take him down right off the bat? I want to move around with the guy. Some of the things he did, I don’t even believe. When I watched the Forrest [Griffin] fight, it looked like I was watching a movie. Some people see that and they’re afraid of it. When I saw Mike Tyson fight when I was a kid and everyone was terrified, I was a 12-year-old going, “Wow, what would it feel like to fight him? How great would that be?”

I’m curious. I want to see what it feels like. I want to test myself against them.

Dave Mandel/Sherdog.com

Frank Mir wants to test

himself against Anderson Silva.

Sherdog.com: What about the idea that there’s really no upside to fighting a middleweight, even if it is Anderson? If you beat him, you’re supposed to. If you don’t, you’re losing to a smaller guy.

Mir: Yeah, a lot of people wouldn’t do it. A lot of people wouldn’t have the balls to step in there and take such a huge risk. What if I lose? Who cares, man? Go to war, go to battle and get something out of it. Going into a fight with Anderson, I will gain things on a personal level. It might not make sense to people on paper, it might not make sense financially or career-wise, but it makes sense to me.

If Bruce Lee were reincarnated tomorrow, I would fight him. He weighs 135 lbs. and it might not make sense to people, but a lot of hardcore martial artists would understand why I would want to do it.

Sherdog.com: Do you think Anderson has knockout power against heavyweights?

Mir: That punch he landed on James Irvin look like it landed pretty solidly. I have to think he does hit pretty hard. With those little gloves, it doesn’t take a lot.

Sherdog.com: Has anyone in a position of power actually approached you about this?

Mir: No. Not yet. I’ve even tried to ask a few people and they go, “Well, just worry about Cheick Kongo right now.” As soon as I heard about it, I was calling up my manager and asking, “Hey, is this serious? Because if it is, I want to let you know, please, full steam ahead.” Why wouldn’t I want it? It’s not like you’re asking me to fight Miguel Torres. If he shows up at 220 pounds, I’m between 245 and 255 pounds. That’s not an outrageous size difference.

If I were him and wanted to pick a heavyweight, I’d probably pick Mirko "Cro Cop" first, since you know “Cro Cop” would stand with him the entire time. But I think I’m a good and intelligent choice for him. Brock or Shane would be a dumb choice. They’re not going to stand with him. They’re going to pinch him against the cage, strip him down, and beat him to death. It’s not going to prove anything.

Me and him, we can move around and play a cat and mouse game. I’d be looking to land the heavier, more powerful shots, and he’d be looking to pick me apart, looking for angles. I think it makes for a very exciting, interesting match-up.

Sherdog.com: And on the ground?

Mir: I’d rip his shoulder out of his socket. I roll with jiu-jitsu guys who are better technically than me in jiu-jitsu, but if I catch something, there’s no getting it back.

Sometimes I really like Mir, other times I just think he is kind of a self-righteous tool. I like him a lot here, and I agree that Silva-Cro Cop would be a better fight for Silva.

I wouldn't hesitate to put money on Anderson knocking Mir out before the end of round 2.

At this point I think the only three people who'd be any real threat to Anderson Silva are Lyoto, Brock and Fedor. Someone will beat him eventually but I won't be picking against him until he fights his buddy or one of those two heavies. The guy is dropping LHWs with right jabs. It's just silly how bad all fighters look when they climb into the octagon with the Spider.

(I even doubt I'd pick Machida vs him.)

Edited by Chachie

I wouldn't hesitate to put money on Anderson knocking Mir out before the end of round 2.

i get flashbacks of Brandon Vera destroying Mir in the clinch.

then i picture a similar sized Anderson having Mir in the clinch

then i see a bloody face for Mir.

Mir is an absolute idiot if he would stand for any time with Anderson. he's slower than Forrest in the standup, Anderson would pick him off and break him down standing in brutal fashion

Edited by StillUnknown

http://www.sherdog.com/news/articles/pros-picks-couture-vs-nogueira-19340

Shonie Carter: Well, here we are again for the original Captain America of MMA, the Natural, the General of MMA Geritol to create another upset. It is the fault of Pfizer and Viagra why Randy will win this epic day of destruction of a mythical monster that walks on two feet in a modern day. You heard it here first from me: second-round TKO [at] 2:37. Money in the bank.

:laugh:

Pros that picked Couture: 26

Pros that picked Nogueira: 14

Pros that could not decide: 2

http://www.fightersonlymagazine.co.uk/news/viewarticle.php?id=2997

News

Back to News Index

28/08/09 - Exclusive: Rampage IS playing BA Baracus, meeting with UFC this weekend

Quinton ‘Rampage’ Jackson WILL be playing the part of BA Baracus in the forthcoming A-Team movie, Fighters Only has been able to establish.

However, Jackson is due to headline UFC 107 in December in a fight against TUF10 rival coach Rashad Evans. But with filming taking place around that date, Jackson will be unable to fight Evans at the December 12th event.

Fighters Only has learned that Rampage’s management are en route to the US to have an urgent weekend meeting with the UFC regarding this development. It is understood that they will be asking for the fight with Evans to be moved to another date, allowing Jackson to get a full training camp.

That would create a headache for the UFC as it would lose the main event of 107, which is being held in Jackson’s home town of Memphis, Tennessee.

if he has to postpone that fight, i'll be pissed :mad:

Edited by StillUnknown

At this point I think the only three people who'd be any real threat to Anderson Silva are Lyoto, Brock and Fedor. Someone will beat him eventually but I won't be picking against him until he fights his buddy or one of those two heavies. The guy is dropping LHWs with right jabs. It's just silly how bad all fighters look when they climb into the octagon with the Spider.

(I even doubt I'd pick Machida vs him.)

I totally agree here and I definitely wouldn't pick Machida over him at this point. I see Machida having the potential to be the Anderson of the LHW division, but as of now, I only see a freak like Brock or Fedor beating him.

That's why I can't get excited about a possible match with GSP. He'd more than likely destroy GSP and GSP is smart enough to know that. He's smarter than BJ Penn from the standpoint of knowing his boundaries.

http://www.fightersonlymagazine.co.uk/news/viewarticle.php?id=2997

if he has to postpone that fight, i'll be pissed :mad:

Umm yeah man I'll be furious. The only solution I see is to move the fight up a month or two. TUF filming is already over anyway.

I totally agree here and I definitely wouldn't pick Machida over him at this point. I see Machida having the potential to be the Anderson of the LHW division, but as of now, I only see a freak like Brock or Fedor beating him.

That's why I can't get excited about a possible match with GSP. He'd more than likely destroy GSP and GSP is smart enough to know that. He's smarter than BJ Penn from the standpoint of knowing his boundaries.

Umm yeah man I'll be furious. The only solution I see is to move the fight up a month or two. TUF filming is already over anyway.

That is the only way, but the UFC will not like that at all. They will not want the fight to happen before they air the build up (TUF). Right now the fight is scheduled just one week after the finale. They would have to move everything up. They also gave Rampage this fight in his hometown of Memphis. He can not back out of this and stay in Dana's good graces. I'll also go on record as saying this is bad casting that screams of a B movie. I am not impressed with the writer or director here. It might be different if we were talking a Scorsese film. I doubt Rampage has the freedom in his contract that Randy does. I wonder if the UFC can stop him. Movie shoots get delayed for scheduling reasons all the time though. If they really want Rampage they will have to wait. He should call their bluff. Unless he is scared of Rashad...

Edited by Sebowski

Unless he is scared of Rashad...

When he and Rashad had that "face-off" after the Jackson-Jardine fight, I had the impression he was. :whoknows:

I can't claim to know what was going through Rampage's mind at that moment but I just felt like he was too riled up to be secure about facing Evans, who looked very relaxed staring into Jackson's eyes.

Edited by Chachie