Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

That was a hell of a show by WEC. One thing though....

What was up with Steve Mazzagatti letting Jamie Varner call "timeout" and grab his mouthpiece?

There's no way that Mazzagatti didn't see his mouthpiece fly out to begin with so why not stop it when it happened or at least when Varner backed away from Razor Rob?

It bugs me because that changed the pace of the fight and let Varner recoup and come back and TKO Rob, when it appeared that Rob could've finished him there.

Mazzagatti did something similar in the Mir/Lesnar fight when he pulled Lesnar off of Mir for "strikes to the back of the head" when it was clearly unintentional and Mir had turned his head into the strikes, and Lesnar only hit him 2-3 times after he turned into them.

That also changed the pace of the fight, I think Lesnar would've finished that fight via ground and pound but Mazzagatti's weird interference changed the entire fight.

Mazzagatti is starting to get on my nerves.

PS: Jamie Varner said "mother****er" on live tv :laugh:

__

That was a hell of a show by WEC. One thing though....

What was up with Steve Mazzagatti letting Jamie Varner call "timeout" and grab his mouthpiece?

There's no way that Mazzagatti didn't see his mouthpiece fly out to begin with so why not stop it when it happened or at least when Varner backed away from Razor Rob?

It bugs me because that changed the pace of the fight and let Varner recoup and come back and TKO Rob, when it appeared that Rob could've finished him there.

Mazzagatti did something similar in the Mir/Lesnar fight when he pulled Lesnar off of Mir for "strikes to the back of the head" when it was clearly unintentional and Mir had turned his head into the strikes, and Lesnar only hit him 2-3 times after he turned into them.

That also changed the pace of the fight, I think Lesnar would've finished that fight via ground and pound but Mazzagatti's weird interference changed the entire fight.

Mazzagatti is starting to get on my nerves.

PS: Jamie Varner said "mother****er" on live tv :laugh:

__

i completely agree about that timeout. Varner was virtually out on his feet, and that "timeout" let him get his bearings back and turned the tide of the fight. still one helluva a knockout by him to end it though.

I only watched the first 2 or 3 matches, but those were some good fights. I was really surprised at how fast Chase Beebe was submitted... I didn't expect that at all!

He threw some good elbows from the top, but lenky man Torres was all over him with submission attempts. It looked like at the end he had a submission locked, and just to have some fun he switched to guillotine. Insane.

Here's the video of Cro Cop's presser, he starts talking at the 6 minute mark:

http://www.sherdog.com/videos/videos.asp?v_id=1444

He says he's not leaving the UFC because he lost twice in a row. He says he doesn't like to fight in the cage, and he likes fighting in Japan because it's his second home.

He DOES go on to say, that one day he is "definitely going back to the UFC to show that it was just a bad period for [him]".

I am glad Crocop is returning. He has been one of my favorite fighters for a while, and I would have been bummed if he had retired.

Personally, I missed PRIDE. I miss their Grandprix events, their freak fights, some of their rules such as soccer kicks and knees to downed opponent, the ring, as well as the patience and intelligence demonstrated by the Japanese crowd. (No boos after a few seconds of grappling...).

It'd be good to see CC in some future Japanese events.

Thought I'd move the EliteXC talk back over here....

Who do you guys think Kimbo's next opponent is? Like I said in the other thread, he did what he was supposed to do and took out Tank in round 1, although we still didn't get to see anything new from him (kicks, wrestling, ground game) but he is what he is, a very good striker with just his hands. I'm not doubting him because I know that Bas Rutten is training him hard for all aspects of MMA, but I would like to see him go to the ground with someone.

So who would be a good opponent for him? They're saying Ken Shamrock, which is probably a good fight for Kimbo at this point in his career. Shamrock is past his prime and all but is still a better challenge than Tank Abbott.

Kimbo fighting shamrock would be a disaster, one of two things would happen, Kimbo with a quick KO or Shamrock with a quick sub, I don't think Shamrock has the strength anymore to get someone Kimbo's size down. Why feed Kimbo older competition, I mean come on, Shamrock is a legend, but he's way too old now a days to keep doing this. Only fight I wanna see Ken in is vs Frank. What babalu doing these days?

Kimbo fighting shamrock would be a disaster, one of two things would happen, Kimbo with a quick KO or Shamrock with a quick sub, I don't think Shamrock has the strength anymore to get someone Kimbo's size down. Why feed Kimbo older competition, I mean come on, Shamrock is a legend, but he's way too old now a days to keep doing this. Only fight I wanna see Ken in is vs Frank. What babalu doing these days?

Babalu is serving his suspension for the lengthy rear naked choke he pulled a little while ago. I dunno if he's coming back to the UFC or not, that's the last I heard about him. I think Kimbo should be 2 fights away from the EliteXC belt. One fight for #1 contender, the next for the title.

Babalu is serving his suspension for the lengthy rear naked choke he pulled a little while ago. I dunno if he's coming back to the UFC or not, that's the last I heard about him. I think Kimbo should be 2 fights away from the EliteXC belt. One fight for #1 contender, the next for the title.

He will probably get a shot that quickly, but he has NOT been tested yet at all.

He will probably get a shot that quickly, but he has NOT been tested yet at all.

Exactly. I say stop with the foreplay and throw him at a mean SOB. He's 34, at this pace he'll be 37 and realize how it really is in MMA. The EliteXC belt should just be a secondary goal in the long run for Kimbo. He and the promotions should want him to graduate to the UFC sooner rather than later.

Yves Edwards knee to Berto was sickness

Scott Smit craked dudes face, goin to take a lot of stitches to put his lip back together.

Bigfoot Silva looked horrible against Ricco who looked flabby and sick.

Kimbo did what he was supposed to do, time to put him in there with someone competent.

on a sidenote, Bill Goldberg should not be allowed anywhere near an MMA cage in a commentary capacity.:doh: