Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

Definitely agree...And he's a judo gold medalist, I believe. Watch out Karo! (I know, different weight class)

theres a youtube clip of Karo and Sokodjou competing against each other in a Judo match from a few years back. Karo beat him despite the weight disadvantage, goes to show how great Karo's judo is.

theres a youtube clip of Karo and Sokodjou competing against each other in a Judo match from a few years back. Karo beat him despite the weight disadvantage, goes to show how great Karo's judo is.

Yeah, I saw that a while back. Honestly, that was a VERY close match. Also, Karo had a decent number of years on Soku. I'm of course not trying to take anything away from Karo. He and Bj are the two most exciting fighters in the UFC, IMO. Both have records that are less than stellar, but for some reason I can't help but feel they both deserve to be top 3 in their respective weight classes (well, BJ should be #1 in LW and WW).

Yeah, I saw that a while back. Honestly, that was a VERY close match. Also, Karo had a decent number of years on Soku. I'm of course not trying to take anything away from Karo. He and Bj are the two most exciting fighters in the UFC, IMO. Both have records that are less than stellar, but for some reason I can't help but feel they both deserve to be top 3 in their respective weight classes (well, BJ should be #1 in LW and WW).

BJ may be the most talented LW in the world right now, but i can't rank him #1 because rankings imo, rankings should be based on accomplishments and not talent. At LW BJ hasn't done much in a very long time except beat a past his prime Jens Pulver

BJ may be the most talented LW in the world right now, but i can't rank him #1 because rankings imo, rankings should be based on accomplishments and not talent. At LW BJ hasn't done much in a very long time except beat a past his prime Jens Pulver

I'm not ranking him #1. I'm saying that with the skill he has, he should be #1, not that he deserves to be ranked there. I just think he is the most talented P4P fighter in MMA, save for possibly Fedor.....And if he had Fedor's work ethic, I think he'd be the best P4P fighter.

I'm not ranking him #1. I'm saying that with the skill he has, he should be #1, not that he deserves to be ranked there. I just think he is the most talented P4P fighter in MMA, save for possibly Fedor.....And if he had Fedor's work ethic, I think he'd be the best P4P fighter.

i agree, BJ's biggest problem is that he relies on his talent too much and doesn't come in the best condition in some of his fights. if he ever gets that under control he'd be damn near unstoppable.

on another note anyone know where Shinya Aoki is goin to sign?

i don't see this card being worth the money. Liddell and Shogun's matches will be entirely one sided. Neither Forrest or Jardine are anywhere near the levels of the guys they are facing.

Skill and talent wise, Rua and Liddell are above and beyond, far superior fighters then the opponents they will be facing. What I do believe though, is that styles make fights.

Both Griffin and Jardine are exciting fighters. While they are not the best in their divisions, they put on good shows and good fights. They want to give the fans what they want and there is only one speed with these two, 100% straight ahead.

Based on the fact that both these guys enjoy a good slugfest, I think fans will be in store for two great action-packed fights regardless of whether or not it will be a blow out. Both fights should result in a knockout and I think any true UFC fan can appreciate that.

Those two fights will be action packed and Fitch vs. Sanchez has major title implications and features two rising stars in the UFC. I think the card will answer a lot of questions and will have a serious affect on the title scene in the UFc.

Skill and talent wise, Rua and Liddell are above and beyond, far superior fighters then the opponents they will be facing. What I do believe though, is that styles make fights.

Both Griffin and Jardine are exciting fighters. While they are not the best in their divisions, they put on good shows and good fights. They want to give the fans what they want and there is only one speed with these two, 100% straight ahead.

Based on the fact that both these guys enjoy a good slugfest, I think fans will be in store for two great action-packed fights regardless of whether or not it will be a blow out. Both fights should result in a knockout and I think any true UFC fan can appreciate that.

Those two fights will be action packed and Fitch vs. Sanchez has major title implications and features two rising stars in the UFC. I think the card will answer a lot of questions and will have a serious affect on the title scene in the UFc.

I agree. While it's true that I am disappointed that we won't be seeing Wandy vs. Chuck, this PPV will still be very exciting.

There's no way that the Chuck or Shogun matches will be boring, even if both end in a 1st round KO, there will be plenty of fireworks as all of these guys are dominant strikers.

I mean, I'd much rather watch a PPV full of big-time strikers than grapplers rolling around the octagon for the duration of matches. I know a lot of people like watching grapplers but personally, I like seeing big kicks and punches and matches ending in (T)KOs.

I agree. While it's true that I am disappointed that we won't be seeing Wandy vs. Chuck, this PPV will still be very exciting.

There's no way that the Chuck or Shogun matches will be boring, even if both end in a 1st round KO, there will be plenty of fireworks as all of these guys are dominant strikers.

I mean, I'd much rather watch a PPV full of big-time strikers than grapplers rolling around the octagon for the duration of matches. I know a lot of people like watching grapplers but personally, I like seeing big kicks and punches and matches ending in (T)KOs.

i prefer grappling to striking when the two competitors are at a high level. seeing two world class bjj is pretty interesting, like a physical human chess match.

i prefer grappling to striking when the two competitors are at a high level. seeing two world class bjj is pretty interesting, like a physical human chess match.

I agree, a good BJJ match is a physical chess match but you could make the same argument for two dominate Muay Thai fighters. It all comes down to preference I guess. I think my dream match would be a good combination of the two, but I think it's fair to say that most MMA fans fall in once of those two categories, fans of great striking matches or fans of great grappling matches.

Great grapplers and Brazilian jiu jitsu practioners are a joy to watch. The skill and intricacies involved make for chess like fights, in which the first person to make a mistake is usually the one who loses. While I respect and admire the skill, discipline, and talent that goes into these types of techniques I find myself drawn more to Muay Thai fighters and strikers. Watching guys like Anderson Silva, Shogun Rua, and Wanderlei Silva keep me on the edge of my seat and exemplify the pinnacle of excitement.

At the same time watching phenomenal flexibility, take down defenses, and submissions from the likes of Bj Penn, Royce Gracie, and Minotaro Nogueria is what originally got me involved in MMA. Because the sport encompasses striking, grappling, BJJ, and other mixed martial arts is what makes it so brilliant and mesmerizing.

I agree, a good BJJ match is a physical chess match but you could make the same argument for two dominate Muay Thai fighters. It all comes down to preference I guess. I think my dream match would be a good combination of the two, but I think it's fair to say that most MMA fans fall in once of those two categories, fans of great striking matches or fans of great grappling matches.

i agree it essentially comes down to preference. i have had the chance to actually train (very little :laugh: ) submission wrestling, so i'm kind of partial to submissions myself

on that note UFC needs to sign Aoki to their lw division, he could be one of the only fighters the crowd won't boo when it goes to the ground:laugh:

I apologize if this has already been mentioned in this thread, but has anybody watched the "human weapon" show on History Channel?

They had a great episode on Escrima last night, which is mostly known for stick fighting. They demonstrated how it was more than that, and also involved grappling. There was one move that was actually scary how easy it would be to kill or paralyze a guy who attempted to take you down.

http://www.history.com/minisite.do?mini_id=54986

i agree it essentially comes down to preference. i have had the chance to actually train (very little :laugh: ) submission wrestling, so i'm kind of partial to submissions myself

on that note UFC needs to sign Aoki to their lw division, he could be one of the only fighters the crowd won't boo when it goes to the ground:laugh:

That's exactly why I'm drawn more to striking. I took a mini-series (note the word "mini" :) ) of kickboxing seminars and instruction my senior year in college. I got into watching Muay Thai a few years ago and I am just now shopping around different gyms to start taking some regular classes at. I'd like to take some BJJ classes eventually too.

There wasn't much in the form of great martial arts centers where I went to college at in NC, I've got a little more of a selection in the DC area though.

Man, if Aoki gets signed to UFC, I might actually purchase a PPV. :)

The title should be vacated. Sherk and Franca fired permanently. Lets be honest, Sherk is a boring fighter anyways, and Franca is not going to be a great LW with his wild punches. Good riddance to both.

And the title should be BJ vs Gomi....Oh that's right, Gomi will probably end up in K-1. Another brilliant signing by Dana White! Maybe bring back Dumbass Diaz?

Fired? You're crazy. And so should Shawn Merriman

Franca admitted he took them to help him heal in time to fight. It was the only way a training injury would heal in time for him not to pull out of the fight. That is exactly would steroids by doctor's prescription are designed to do. Steroids can be a wonderful drug if taken correctly. I don;t think we can hold steroids for the purpose of healing quickly against athletes anymore than we should hold Ben-Gay or ice packs against them. Not to mention the cortisone shots.

Sherk said he didn't know he took it. Maybe he did, maybe he didn't. Let's see how the appeal goes before we fire him.

Gomi is no longer an elite LW. Not top 5. He hasn't been fighting the top of the heap. He got his ass kicked by Diaz, pot or no pot. I would take Stevenson, Florian, Franca, and Fisher against him. Maybe even Guida or Griffin in a cage. Huerta would even give him a run for his money.

And BJ has already destroyed him once. The fight wouldn't make sense for BJ The Great (he rececntly said he wanted a new nickname. I'll try to start this one).

I would love to see a LW GP for the vacant title. Imagine all the guys I just mentioned with some more Pride guys like Aoki and Hansen. That would be incredible. But it will never happen. So I think BJ The Great should go back to 170 and dominate for a while, and I don;t know what they could do with the LW title if Sherk's appeal doesn't go his way. Sherk won it while vacant on his his fight in the division against a guy was 4-2 with the biggest win being against Sam Stout. I don't how how much credibility they could draw up for another one-shot match for a vacant title. I think they have to do some sort of tournament to maintain respect for the title. Even if it means just a four-man bracket.

That's exactly why I'm drawn more to striking. I took a mini-series (note the word "mini" :) ) of kickboxing seminars and instruction my senior year in college. I got into watching Muay Thai a few years ago and I am just now shopping around different gyms to start taking some regular classes at. I'd like to take some BJJ classes eventually too.

There wasn't much in the form of great martial arts centers where I went to college at in NC, I've got a little more of a selection in the DC area though.

Man, if Aoki gets signed to UFC, I might actually purchase a PPV. :)

Every place that teaches BJJ will offer you at least the first class for free. Some will give you a week or more for free. At least check out one class if you're interested. You don't even have to look for the best one. Just take the first free class you can attend; go from there. Or you can look for a place that teaches "MMA" as a separate class. I've taken a couple of those. They do striking, takedowns, and submissions.

I think my favorite thing to watch is elite submission grappling. That said, I'd take a C- striking match over a B submission match.

Fired? You're crazy. And so should Shawn Merriman

Yes. They both should.

Franca admitted he took them to help him heal in time to fight. It was the only way a training injury would heal in time for him not to pull out of the fight. That is exactly would steroids by doctor's prescription are designed to do. Steroids can be a wonderful drug if taken correctly. I don;t think we can hold steroids for the purpose of healing quickly against athletes anymore than we should hold Ben-Gay or ice packs against them. Not to mention the cortisone shots.

Sorry, I can't help but completely disagree with you. Number one, what if Franca fought a guy that injured himself in training? Franca dopes to heal more quickly, but the other guy doesn't. Advantage Franca. And comparing anabolic steroids to ice packs and Ben-gay is going above and beyond a stretch. I can see a slight argument with cortisone, but even still, that's a stretch. By the way, has an athlete ever NOT had an excuse?

Banned substances (and ILLEGAL substances, which they are) are against the rules regardless of my feelings, your feelings, or anyone's feelings.

Sherk said he didn't know he took it. Maybe he did, maybe he didn't. Let's see how the appeal goes before we fire him.

Never heard that excuse before :laugh: (e.g. didn't know he took it)....Besides, when I posted, that was before he announced his appeal (which he'll most likely lose, but I will give him until then to announce that he should be fired). MMA is still fighting the sports "powers that be" for legitimacy. The last thing they needed was for their LW Champion to be caught doping, not to mention having a fight where BOTH Fighters were busted. They need to be made an example of so as to prevent tarnishing the purity of the sport (ala boxing, baseball, Tour de France :laugh: Sorry, couldn't help myself with the last one.)

Gomi is no longer an elite LW. Not top 5. He hasn't been fighting the top of the heap. He got his ass kicked by Diaz, pot or no pot. I would take Stevenson, Florian, Franca, and Fisher against him. Maybe even Guida or Griffin in a cage. Huerta would even give him a run for his money.

I'd still put him in the top 5, so I guess I have to disagree with you again. He gassed against Diaz, plain and simple. He didn't prepare. He almost KO'd Diaz, don't forget that. And coincidentally, IMO there is no shame in losing to Nick. He's one hell of a fighter.

Gomi would destroy Franca, IMO. Franca would trade with him (at least initially), and unlike Sherk, Gomi can KO you with one punch. Stevenson would be a harder challenge. Florian might be able to beat him, but I still wouldn't guarantee it. It's a shame Gomi suffers from the same affliction as BJ; poor conditioning.

I would love to see a LW GP for the vacant title.

This is a great idea. I'd love to see it. But this is the UFC, and the puppet-master tends to be more motivated with personal grudges than what the fans really want to see. So fortunately we'll get to see Tito/Rashad 2 instead. :doh:

Every place that teaches BJJ will offer you at least the first class for free. Some will give you a week or more for free. At least check out one class if you're interested. You don't even have to look for the best one. Just take the first free class you can attend; go from there. Or you can look for a place that teaches "MMA" as a separate class. I've taken a couple of those. They do striking, takedowns, and submissions.

I think my favorite thing to watch is elite submission grappling. That said, I'd take a C- striking match over a B submission match.

Right now I'm looking at Lloyd Irvin's school. They actually have a free 20 day trial offer which I know that sounds like a McDojo type of place but they have a fight team and Lloyd Irvin's history is very impressive:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lloyd_Irvin

Anyone in the area heard anything about this place?:

http://novamma.com/

WEC event on Sunday evening on Versus.

Paulo Filho vs. Joe Doerkson for the MW title

Carlos Condit vs. Brock Larson for the WW title

WEC put on a great show last time they were on TV, so i'm definitely checkin this one out. Good to see Filho back fighting tho.

I'm ready for Doug Marshall to defend the LW title again, that dude is a straight brawler and I wouldn't be surprised to see him in the UFC eventually.

I'm spending a month out here in Cali for work. It's amazing how often I get to see WEC on regular cable (VS)! In my opinion, it is superior to the IFL. Decent fighters with well rounded skills.

That being said; Any fight fans in San Diego know where to go to watch the WEC fights? Apparently my hotel doesn't get it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Let me rephrase. I was in Monterey earlier in the week, and had "vs" in my room. In my new hotel, I don't.

I'm spending a month out here in Cali for work. It's amazing how often I get to see WEC on regular cable (VS)! In my opinion, it is superior to the IFL. Decent fighters with well rounded skills.

That being said; Any fight fans in San Diego know where to go to watch the WEC fights? Apparently my hotel doesn't get it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Let me rephrase. I was in Monterey earlier in the week, and had "vs" in my room. In my new hotel, I don't.

I see WEC on VS here in Arlington all the time. Do you not get it when you're home?

:laugh:

It's channel 64 and there's a live WEC event on tomorrow evening with middleweight and welterweight championship bouts. :thumbsup:

Yep, already know about the event, and will be watching. I'm very impressed with the caliber of fighters in the WEC....When is Filho going to come to the UFC?