Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What is a "REAL American"?

Mass_SkinsFan

Personally, I just find it insulting that you would insinuate that I am a less of an American than you because I don't live up to your standards. The great thing about America is that I have the right to do all of the things you think I should - but I also have the right not to give a flying **** about them. In a lot of cases - I choose the latter.

That's fine. I'm sorry that you feel insulted. Just realize that you're not the sort of person that I would ever want to have any face-to-face dealings with. I wouldn't employ someone with your beliefs. I wouldn't allow a child of mine to marry someone with your beliefs. Etc....

That's fine. I'm sorry that you feel insulted. Just realize that you're not the sort of person that I would ever want to have any face-to-face dealings with. I wouldn't employ someone with your beliefs. I wouldn't allow a child of mine to marry someone with your beliefs. Etc....

Ditto. :cheers:

Agree with Mass, Burgold, PB, and Rince

Wonderful way to make a firm stand in the middle of absolutely nowhere. Are you sure you're not a politician?

I want to add, a real American realizes America is not the center of the universe

That, sir, is blasphemy.

Then obviously there is no longer any reason for me to read anything you write. Welcome to my ignore list. It's been growing be leaps and bounds the last couple of days.

I don't know whether to cry or laugh. Why would you ignore me? You disagree with 95% of the board are they all on your list?

I'm just wondering who gets to decide what a True American is.

Then my follow up is. Wouldn't anybody who's sitting and judging what a True American is by some list they made up, make them NOT a True American themselves?

Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door

I'm just wondering who gets to decide what a True American is.

Then my follow up is. Wouldn't anybody who's sitting and judging what a True American is by some list they made up, make them NOT a True American themselves?

Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door

Obviously, for some, this only applies to the huddled masses that can speak english, field strip a rifle, and memorize some dates. You know, the important stuff. :rolleyes:

What is a REAL American?

You know the old saying-- if you have to ask you can't afford it?

Perhaps, if you have to ask what a REAL American is than you ain't one :D

I can't believe no one has gotten it right yet. The obvious and correct answer to what is a REAL American is

ME.

Now, the rest of you can kindly get out. :laugh:

-Not being scared to question our leaders and their motives....sheep will always be herded.

Good one. America was founded by challenging our "leaders" and standing up for what was right. It shouldn't stop now.

Getting drunk as crap on a sailboat, humming the national anthem, loading a handgun, caring about politics, and wearing a Hulkamaniacs bandana. :)

...while twirling sparklers and shooting off bottlerockets.

Being a Real American means knowing that whether you meet some, all, or none of the criteria set forth in this thread - you are still every bit as American as any other American.

:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

America is not the center of the universe. I am. :cool:

Hey now....you may be almost direct center, but everything clearly is centered around me. :D

Driving 90 in a 65 zone isn't civil disobedience.

Civil disobedience encompasses the active refusal to obey certain laws, demands and commands of a government or of an occupying power.

Breaking the speed limit shows a refusal to obey a law of the U.S. Government. How many people do you know who daily drive over the speed limit because they think the laws are dumb? It most certianly is civil disobedience just like any other case of breaking the law but not to cause somebody harm.

Hopefully, "real" Americans understand the difference between believing in and fighting for their country, and empty, chesty, jingoistic rhetoric designed to further one's on-line personna.

Another observation: most of the responses herein are wonderful. And most, if you read them again and substitute, say any other country for America, read just as wonderfully. Pride and respect and patriotism are not the inventions nor sole property of any nationality. They are the best of the human condition.

Archived