Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What is a "REAL American"?

Mass_SkinsFan

Well, considering the number of discussions on here recently about the state of the US, immigration policy, the “bad American” thread, and the fact that Independence Day is tomorrow, I thought it would be interesting to see what people think a “REAL American” is.

I’m not asking what the legal definition is. That’s pretty well spelled out already. I’m talking about those things that a “REAL American” does and doesn’t do that make them a “REAL American”.

I know what my list includes. I’m interested to see what others feel should be on that list as well.

Here’s my incomplete, but fairly extensive list of what makes a person a “REAL American”:

You and your family entered this country LEGALLY.

You speak, read, and write ENGLISH. You may know other languages as well, but you definitely know English.

You are willing to fight, kill, and/or possibly die for this country and the things it is supposed to stand for when called upon by the country to do so.

You know the proper tune of the Star Spangled Banner and the words to at least the first verse. You also know that there is actually more than one verse to the poem/song.

You know the basic history of the country and the important dates in that history (April 19th 1775, July 4th 1776, December 7th 1941, etc…)

You hold a sole allegiance to the United States, and no allegiance to any foreign power.

You understand and accept the tenants this country was founded on.

You understand that Gun Control means hitting what you’re aiming at.

You understand the difference between Freedom OF Religion and Freedom FROM Religion.

Being a "real" American includes:

-Understanding how politics work in your country

-Taking the time to travel around the US and discover the natural wonders that lie in this great land.

-Knowing how to responsibly own, load and operate a firearm but knowing that not every weapon under the sun needs to be legal.

-Not being scared to question our leaders and their motives....sheep will always be herded.

-Understanding the meaning of rugged individualism and why it's important to America.

-Knowing that a great car is not necessarily a yellow Honda Civic with a coffee can muffler and a giant wing ;) .

-Being familiar with American history.

-Being familiar with the customs of our first-generation fellow Americans....after all America is a melting pot.

-Holding a deep-seated urge to make America a better place.

-The realization that sitting around and doing nothing hurts more than it helps.

I'll think of more later....

:cheers:

A REAL American is one unafraid to espouse his views whether they are popular or run contrary to the masses or powers that be.

A REAL American is someone who takes care of their family and is trying to build a better life for them than he had for himself.

A REAL American is someone who will learn from mistakes and always tries to become better and does not dwell in tradition simply because it is tradition. America is a great country because it corrects itself. Civil Rights is the best example.

A REAL American loves his country, but doesn't hate his neighbors.

A REAL American will laugh at himself, before laughing at others.

A REAL American has struggled and will continue to struggle for an ideal, for betterment, for his dreams.

There's more, but that's off the top of my head.

I pondered this question myself after high school and so I joined the Air Force and gave them 4 years (actually 8) of my life so no one would ever question that from me again.

And THANK YOU for doing that. I greatly appreciate you serving this great country.:notworthy

Here’s my incomplete, but fairly extensive list of what makes a person a “REAL American”:

You and your family entered this country LEGALLY.

You speak, read, and write ENGLISH. You may know other languages as well, but you definitely know English.

You are willing to fight, kill, and/or possibly die for this country and the things it is supposed to stand for when called upon by the country to do so.

You know the proper tune of the Star Spangled Banner and the words to at least the first verse. You also know that there is actually more than one verse to the poem/song.

You know the basic history of the country and the important dates in that history (April 19th 1775, July 4th 1776, December 7th 1941, etc…)

You hold a sole allegiance to the United States, and no allegiance to any foreign power.

You understand and accept the tenants this country was founded on.

You understand that Gun Control means hitting what you’re aiming at.

You understand the difference between Freedom OF Religion and Freedom FROM Religion.

:applause:

The following things are what all Americans should have/do.

Legal citizenship.

Love for your country (maybe not what it currently is, but what it is compared to where you could be.)

Grasp on the language and the cultures. (If you cant speak English you need to before you are an actual American.)

Being civilly disobedient (whether its protesting illegally, driving 90 in a 65 zone, crossing the street when it says dont walk, or setting off bottlerockets in Montgomery County tomorrow)

Understanding the basics of the government and politics.

Getting a job and working hard.

Paying out the ass on taxes and complaining about it at every opportunity. (If you make less money, complain about how rich people have all the breaks and need to be taxed more, if you are rich, complain about how you have to pay so much money and say there should be a flat tax. Every American complains about taxes on one side or the other.)

Being a Real American means knowing that whether you meet some, all, or none of the criteria set forth in this thread - you are still every bit as American as any other American.

This is where we're going to disagree, rince. Obviously you feel that every American citizen is a Real American. That simply being born here, or naturalized by some judge makes you a Real American. I disagree.

You see it as a Right, apparantly. Whereas I see it as a Privledge. A Privledge that is earned, not just granted. Earned by words and actions backing those words up.

Obviously you have a right to believe differently than me. The Constitution grants you that. I'll just say that I believe your way of looking at it is a large part of the problems we're having in this country right now.

This is where we're going to disagree, rince. Obviously you feel that every American citizen is a Real American. That simply being born here, or naturalized by some judge makes you a Real American. I disagree.

You see it as a Right, apparantly. Whereas I see it as a Privledge. A Privledge that is earned, not just granted. Earned by words and actions backing those words up.

Obviously you have a right to believe differently than me. The Constitution grants you that. I'll just say that I believe your way of looking at it is a large part of the problems we're having in this country right now.

Personally, I just find it insulting that you would insinuate that I am a less of an American than you because I don't live up to your standards. The great thing about America is that I have the right to do all of the things you think I should - but I also have the right not to give a flying **** about them. In a lot of cases - I choose the latter.

Being civilly disobedient (whether its protesting illegally, driving 90 in a 65 zone, crossing the street when it says dont walk, or setting off bottlerockets in Montgomery County tomorrow)

Driving 90 in a 65 zone isn't civil disobedience.

Archived