Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The truth about NFL Head Coach

UpNorth

It's BORING!!!

I bought the damn game 2 days ago withour having played it and I will admit it is the most frustrating, and boring sports game I have ever played. Truly, its not even really a sports game, but a strategy game. They have tried to add all this ability to control the minute details yet they leave out the most important stuff. For example, you can pick a particular player to motivate in practice and choose whether you want positive or negative comments in order to motivate, but in the game you can't pick a particular LB to blitz on a play, you instead have to make all the LBs do the same thing! What the hell is that?

Also, on offense you can tell the QB on a particular play to throw past the first down marker, throw the ball hard, and get rid of it quickly, and he'll throw to the short man or scramble and get a 1 yard gain on 3rd and 10.....whats the point of giving him tips if he never follows? Also, most of the time you are telling the QB his strategy for that play while he is at the line of scrimmage and 60% of the time one of your linemen will commit procedure before you;re done telling your QB what to do.

I think its a poor attempt for EA to make more money off a game that isn't Madden, and I wish I hadn't bought it.

Truly, its not even really a sports game, but a strategy game.

What do you think NFL Head Coaches do? They create strategies to outsmart the other team. Of COURSE it is a strategy game. And it certainly is a sports game. What is isn't is an arcade game, which is basically what Madden is.

I don't know why people picked up the game, and expected it to be Madden. It doesn't say Madden on the package at all.

Personally, I like these type of games over the Madden twitch-fests. I like the idea of running and managing a team, collecting players, and trying to make a run to the Super Bowl with them. I like it better when I beat another team because I had the better plan and/or the better players, not because I happened to be better on the gamepad.

Really, to all who are bagging on it with the above argument: what the hell did you expect?

Jason

I can't even stand Franchise mode, so I haven't even considered buying this game. If EA can't even produce a realistic salary cap model, then what hope do they have of producing anything other than a dumbed-down, arbitrary "simulation" of being a coach?

Games that are so highly unintuitive that they require a guide to spell out how you're supposed to be playing them aren't games at all in my book.

What do you think NFL Head Coaches do? They create strategies to outsmart the other team. Of COURSE it is a strategy game. And it certainly is a sports game. What is isn't is an arcade game, which is basically what Madden is.

I don't know why people picked up the game, and expected it to be Madden. It doesn't say Madden on the package at all.

Personally, I like these type of games over the Madden twitch-fests. I like the idea of running and managing a team, collecting players, and trying to make a run to the Super Bowl with them. I like it better when I beat another team because I had the better plan and/or the better players, not because I happened to be better on the gamepad.

Really, to all who are bagging on it with the above argument: what the hell did you expect?

Jason

:applause: I like the game myself .. I think what some people are saying though the fact it is very time consuming maybe people do not have the patience to go through all the task like a real coach would do they want things done for them that what it less complex. I'm in week 5 I'm 5-1 my only lost is to the Cowboys :mad: :doh:

Jason

I just expected something a little more exciting, and mainly a game that follows the commands you give it. Also, they don;t account for the vast variety of things that a coach can do or say. When you want to motive, you only have a choice of 2 standard lines, there's not even a "way to go, good job" option!

Play it and you will see. The first tie you tell the QB to get rid of the ball quickly and force it if he has to, then watch him stand in the pocket and get sacked after about 6 or 7 seconds, you will know what I mean.

Play it and you will see. The first tie you tell the QB to get rid of the ball quickly and force it if he has to, then watch him stand in the pocket and get sacked after about 6 or 7 seconds, you will know what I mean.

Are you coaching Ramsey?

Jason

I haven't played the game yet, but it's had my interests and I've followed it since it was first announced. I expect it to be something more along the lines of the old football sims from the PC that I played back in the day with Madden graphics to illustrate the goings on. I plan on renting it sometime this week and giving it a go, but I will be approaching it a little biased because I feel that all of these features could have been included in Madden. They boast that Madden has always been the ultimate football sim but have fallen short year after year. Maybe my opinion will change after I give Head Coach a whirl, but (for now) I stand by my point that this should be a feature of Madden and not a game to itself.

I think peoples expectations of the game are way off.

I like the game, I cant play it for hours like Madden but when you put in all the weeks effort and lose you get even more mad then on madden. Winning is even sweeter.

I like the game

I think you like the game? :laugh: Seriously would you recommend or are you saying that you like it because you're reassuring youself of your purchase? I am really interested in this game but I'm a cheap **** and i'm sure that I want to pay full price for it. I guess with the number of people returning it, I should be able to find it for cheaper.

I think it's just a USA thing that people don't like to manage and just play an "arcade" style of game. Im a huge soccer fan and I buy all the managing games there are. It's awesome, I not once bought any Fifa game because it's only arcade. Im still waiting for this game to come out so I can buy it already. And it's only in year 1 you expect it to be perfect? come on madden 2007 will still probably have the same flaws it's been having the entire franchise but it does get better n better.

It's BORING!!!

I bought the damn game 2 days ago withour having played it and I will admit it is the most frustrating, and boring sports game I have ever played. Truly, its not even really a sports game, but a strategy game. They have tried to add all this ability to control the minute details yet they leave out the most important stuff. For example, you can pick a particular player to motivate in practice and choose whether you want positive or negative comments in order to motivate, but in the game you can't pick a particular LB to blitz on a play, you instead have to make all the LBs do the same thing! What the hell is that?

If you actually dug deeper into the game and not rushed it, (which you probably did) you can switch up your tasks and create offense and defensive plays. Like I did with a defensive set of plays in a 4-3 defense. I created 6 plays from 1 formation and had each play with a different LB blitzing and put them in playbook.

Also, on offense you can tell the QB on a particular play to throw past the first down marker, throw the ball hard, and get rid of it quickly, and he'll throw to the short man or scramble and get a 1 yard gain on 3rd and 10.....whats the point of giving him tips if he never follows? Also, most of the time you are telling the QB his strategy for that play while he is at the line of scrimmage and 60% of the time one of your linemen will commit procedure before you;re done telling your QB what to do.

I think its a poor attempt for EA to make more money off a game that isn't Madden, and I wish I hadn't bought it.

As for the QB, it depends if he is coachable or not. I had a tough time with Brunell, so I put in Campbell. Since his ratings were lower, he was better coachable. As you can see, this a 100% startegy game. Lots of time has to be put into it. If you have no patience, you won't like this game.

If you actually dug deeper into the game and not rushed it, (which you probably did) you can switch up your tasks and create offense and defensive plays. Like I did with a defensive set of plays in a 4-3 defense. I created 6 plays from 1 formation and had each play with a different LB blitzing and put them in playbook.

As for the QB, it depends if he is coachable or not. I had a tough time with Brunell, so I put in Campbell. Since his ratings were lower, he was better coachable. As you can see, this a 100% startegy game. Lots of time has to be put into it. If you have no patience, you won't like this game.

I agree 100% and that seems to be the problem I think folks are not patience. I like the game myself sure, it has a few flaws but it's more positives than negatives . I am sure the next one will be even better.

I can honestly admit that I quit playing video games in the early 90's because of 2 factors. 1- I suck at video games. and 2- I still suck at video games.

Lost interest in them because for me, the old hand-eye coordination started to decline. But I do like to watch people play them, since they are so realistic now.

I can honestly admit that I quit playing video games in the early 90's because of 2 factors. 1- I suck at video games. and 2- I still suck at video games.

Lost interest in them because for me, the old hand-eye coordination started to decline. But I do like to watch people play them, since they are so realistic now.

Hey wait a minute I am a little older than you there isn't anything wrong with mine hand-eye coordination :D

What was that about cerca Sega Genesis era? Tell you the truth you havent missed any new amazing genres in the gaming industry because everything out now is basically rehashes of older concepts but with way better graphics. Head Coach seems like a game that might be right up your alley. No hand-eye coordination required.

GC

Archived