Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Freddy Adu on PTI

SkinsTillIDie

:wtf: we're not commies jrock - anyone can make all the money they want regardless of citizenship status. A huge number of highly-paid people aren't Americans. As Fergasun points out, there are a lot of actors that aren't American - Sean Connery, Russell Crowe, Charlize Theron, Keira Knightley, etc. Also, we've got plenty of Toyota, Honda, and Daimler-Chrylser executives around the U.S. who aren't necessarily citizens.

I don't think our economy would be doing that well if we told all non-citizens that we were going to take their money...

My bad, my bad....:) I worked in the Student Employment office at my old school for a long time, and I thought I remembered some sort of cap on what they could make. Guess I was mistaken...either that or its a different type of visa?? I don't know...

-Kirk Gibson

My bad, my bad....:) I worked in the Student Employment office at my old school for a long time, and I thought I remembered some sort of cap on what they could make. Guess I was mistaken...either that or its a different type of visa?? I don't know...

-Kirk Gibson

Students are only allowed to work part time and only for the school. I used to hire students too, and it's part of the F visa. They can't work overtime and there's rules about them not being paid more than Americans. Basically, an F visa sucks ... it's better to get an H visa, which will probably still subject you to labor certification and will expire after a certain amounf of time, but the elite athletes and actors probably all get their hands on an O visa, which has the fewest restrictions.

The bottom line is that immigration can be pretty complicated, but if you're valuable enough, America will make things work for you and pay you well.

Students are only allowed to work part time and only for the school. I used to hire students too, and it's part of the F visa. They can't work overtime and there's rules about them not being paid more than Americans. Basically, an F visa sucks ... it's better to get an H visa, which will probably still subject you to labor certification and will expire after a certain amounf of time, but the elite athletes and actors probably all get their hands on an O visa, which has the fewest restrictions.

The bottom line is that immigration can be pretty complicated, but if you're valuable enough, America will make things work for you and pay you well.

Hmmm...that makes sense. I guess it is common sense that if you can generate big-time revenue, America isn't going to let something silly like citizenship get in the way! :silly:;)

-James Madison

I have no problem with him playing for Ghana if he chose to. He ain't as great

as everyone seems to think he is anyway's.

Whether he has Pele's soccer skills or mine isn't the issue. He's an AMERICAN CITIZEN. Therefore the only country he should be playing ANY sport for is the USA. I was fairly well disgusted that he couldn't/wouldn't take a stand on who he was rooting for today.

He should have been the last player on this team. Great experience, would have never seen the field, and would have locked him on our National team forever I think. Right now he is probably upset that he wasn't on the team, and is only now considering Ghana. Hopefully that blows over. I didn't see the interview though so I don't know what he said about it other than what has been posted.

Whether he has Pele's soccer skills or mine isn't the issue. He's an AMERICAN CITIZEN. Therefore the only country he should be playing ANY sport for is the USA. I was fairly well disgusted that he couldn't/wouldn't take a stand on who he was rooting for today.

What about athletes that have dual citizenships? I guess they should be able to choose which country they play for, right? I'm sure Freddie feels emotionally attached towards Ghana and when he was young (er) he probably dreamt of playing on their National team.

What about athletes that have dual citizenships? I guess they should be able to choose which country they play for' date=' right? I'm sure Freddie feels emotionally attached towards Ghana and when he was young (er) he probably dreamt of playing on their National team.[/quote']

I thought I mentioned this earlier, but maybe I didn't.... I don't believe that there should be any such thing as dual-citizenship. A house divided cannot stand. One cannot be totally loyal to two different countries. It's a physical impossibility.

I'm sure Freddie needs to look at his situation and decide where his bread is buttered, because if he wants to play for Ghana, then I would suggest that he ought to LIVE in Ghana (when he isn't playing in Europe) and have his American citizenship (and all rights eminating from it) revoked.

I saw it myself. The gutless punk refused to indicate whether he'd play for the US or Ghana National Team given a pick between the two. At which point 2 members of the US Immigration department should have walked onto the set and deported the thankless punk after revoking his citizenship. The only thing of any value that he brought to the US was the ability to kick a ball. We gave him citizenship. He better figure out where his bread is buttered PDQ.

Sorry but that would be the US's fault, he should have been on this team, had the US selected him we wouldn't have to worry now that he is going to play overseas his homeland will be smart and ask him to play first.

This is the problem with the US they want to try and make the MLS succeed yet the only we will get better against the world is have our best players play overseas.

I thought I mentioned this earlier, but maybe I didn't.... I don't believe that there should be any such thing as dual-citizenship. A house divided cannot stand. One cannot be totally loyal to two different countries. It's a physical impossibility.

I'm sure Freddie needs to look at his situation and decide where his bread is buttered, because if he wants to play for Ghana, then I would suggest that he ought to LIVE in Ghana (when he isn't playing in Europe) and have his American citizenship (and all rights eminating from it) revoked.

You make no sense whatsoever, why are you against dual citizenship and give a legit reason not what you have already posted.

Dual Citizenships helps a lot of peope be able to stay on other countries longer when away from the US as well as not have to worry about other issues in regards to visas etc.... You have the ability to go when you want.

I think they should allow more countries to have dual citizenships with the US.

The US doesn't recognize dual citizenship regardless of what country it is with. There is a loophole however, and as long as the other country recognizes dual citizenships you can pledge to receive it without losing the US one.

The US doesn't recognize dual citizenship regardless of what country it is with. There is a loophole however, and as long as the other country recognizes dual citizenships you can pledge to receive it without losing the US one.

are you sure, i thought they allow dual citizenship to India???

First off he should play over seas. He should be playing over seas now! It's ridiculous that one of the greatest young players in the world, which Freddie is joins a club, which is so short, sighted they don't even play him. He should go to Europe and play against the best players in the world only then does he have a chance to fulfill his potential.

As for playing for Ghana's world cup team. Ghana asked him to play for them but he said no. He want's to play for the US. Perhaps this is patriotism. Perhaps his million dollar contract with NIKE mandates it. Who knows. I heard him in an interview before the Ghana game. He didn't say he wanted to play for Ghana, he said he couldn't root against either Ghana or the US and that he was going to just watch the game and hope the better team wins. I think that's fair enough. He was a citizen of Ghana up until just three years ago...

According to this website, that is out of date. The US has accepted dual citizenship for 10 years now.

I think that's a little misleading. The article says the US allows dual citizenship. This is true. The US does not require folks who apply for citizenship to formally give up their original citizenship. On the other hand the US will not recognize that citizenship once a person is granted citizenship in this country. If you have a foreign passport, and you travel on that passport for example. If you get in trouble, the US embassy will refer you to the consulate where your passport came from.

If a US citizen get's in trouble and they try to get some secondary country to spring them out of it, which can happen if the guy is a foreign citizen. The US will tell the foreign country the person in question is a US citizen and they have no standing by American law.

So does the US allow Dual citizenship. Yes they allow it but they don't recognize it.

You make no sense whatsoever, why are you against dual citizenship and give a legit reason not what you have already posted.

It's very simple. No person can hold a proper amount of loyalty to the US (as a citizen should) and hold ANY level of loyalty or attachment to another country. Either you're an American or you're a foreigner. Make your choice.

Dual Citizenships helps a lot of peope be able to stay on other countries longer when away from the US as well as not have to worry about other issues in regards to visas etc.... You have the ability to go when you want.

LOL. I don't see any need for anyone to leave the US, so that's not a terribly useful arguement for me.

I think they should allow more countries to have dual citizenships with the US.

Whereas I don't believe even a single person should have any level of dual or mutual citizenship with the US. You're either a US citizen or you're a foreigner. Make your mind up and stick with it.

Yeah, but isn't there some sort of limit to how much money a non-citizen can make? I thought there was a ceiling of sorts...

-James Van DerBeek

:laugh: where did you get that idea

EDIT: ok I read your response, so don't feel the need to respond. I did think it was really funny to read.

wow, the king of ignorance,

have you been outside the US then you might think differently :doh:

I've been to Canada twice in my youth. Seen Niagra Falls. I study medieval European history but have no interest in going "across the pond" to see any of the places myself. I'm an American. Anything America can't provide, I don't need.

Archived