Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

~Your Favorite Bible Scriptures~

Coach Williams

hebrews 11:1 Now faith is assurance of things hoped for, proof of things not seen.

"evidence" is used instead of "proof" in the NAS, and the AMP bibles, if I'm not mistaken.

That's the biblical definition of Faith, which is totally different from what's in the dictionary.

A lot of people define a Christian's faith as believing in God without any kind of evidence.

Psalms 23:

The lord is my shepard,I shall not want

He maketh me lie down in green pastures, he leadeth me beside the still waters

He restoreth my soul; he leadeth me in the path of righteousness for his names sake

Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil for thou art with me, thy rod and thy staff they comfort me

Thou preparest a table before me in the prescence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.

Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me for all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever.

"Judge not, lest ye be judged."

Probably the most misunderstood scripture by nonbelievers.

There are times that we are to judge people.

Some examples are kids. Parents are to judge their own kids.

Another verse says that if we see an innocent being dragged to his death and we do nothing about it, then we are guilty also.

A time for piece and a time for war.

You also have in Romans about how you should obey the laws, for the government doesn't bare the sword in vein.

Basicly this verse is setting up an attitude. Some people, like a nagging wife for example, look to judge people on any little thing.

"you didn't do this, you didn't do that, when are you going to do them" over and over and over.

So the attitude that verse is trying to set up is a proper time to judge.

Probably the most misunderstood scripture by nonbelievers.

There are times that we are to judge people.

Some examples are kids. Parents are to judge their own kids.

Another verse says that if we see an innocent being dragged to his death and we do nothing about it, then we are guilty also.

A time for piece and a time for war.

You also have in Romans about how you should obey the laws, for the government doesn't bare the sword in vein.

Basicly this verse is setting up an attitude. Some people, like a nagging wife for example, look to judge people on any little thing.

"you didn't do this, you didn't do that, when are you going to do them" over and over and over.

So the attitude that verse is trying to set up is a proper time to judge.

Or perhaps it is just the single verse that insuffurably self-righteous believers need to rationalise away the most often. :)

Science and religion operate from two very different frames of mind, at least when you're talking about pure science. Religion is teleological. In other words, we're headed in a particular direction, and there is some sort of a goal or objective we are working toward. Man is the result of evolution (or creation, take your pick) not a chance occurence.

Science, on the other hand, isn't interested in goals or eventualities. It doesn't set out to prove anything pre-determined, and accepts only what it can demonstrate repeatedly through experimentation. It observes objectively. If science one day finds God, that's wonderful, but it isn't and shouldn't be trying to. Likewise, it doesn't attempt to disprove the existence of God. Claims that science is the enemy of religion are baseless, unless religious types are afraid of people discovering the truth. ;)

[/hijack]

GC4C, it sounds like you have some interesting thoughts on the issue, and if you want to continue this conversation via PM I'm more than happy to do so. However, I think that we should avoid dragging a worthwhile thread into territories we've all tread dozens of times before.

In an effort to not completely hijack this thread please note dfitzo that I was only responding to your first comment which seemed rather backhanded towards the religious side and I didn't think it needed to be said here. But in response to your previous statements I will send you a PM on the subject.

***we now return you to your regularly schedueled Thread***

GC

Or perhaps it is just the single verse that insuffurably self-righteous believers need to rationalise away the most often. :)

There's no such thing as a "self righteous" Christian.

Because all Christians believe that Jesus is the one that died on the cross for their sins.

If they were self righteous, then they wouldn't need Jesus.

Now come on Predicto, you know there are times that everyone should judge.

If you have kids, you tell them to not hang out with the wrong crowd.

You yourself judge people by what they say and do. Like you probably don't have too many strung out crack heads as "close" friends, even thou you may help one out with a meal or some cloths. You may even talk to him here and there. But you wouldn't trust him with your car.

Because all Christians believe that Jesus is the one that died on the cross for their sins.

Maybe I should have used the term "judgmental"?

Now come on Predicto, you know there are times that everyone should judge.

If you have kids, you tell them to not hang out with the wrong crowd.

You yourself judge people by what they say and do. Like you probably don't have too many strung out crack heads as "close" friends, even thou you may help one out with a meal or some cloths. You may even talk to him here and there. But you wouldn't trust him with your car.

Of course it is true that there are times one should judge. But some people do a heck of a lot more of it than others, and often about things that are really not their business. And some of those people are admonished by their own holy book not to do so.

Ouch - I have to go - I have a Beam in my eye that I have to get rid of. :)

QUOTE]

Thats completely inaccurate..... You never come across Christians that hold a holier than thou attitude or think that they are better than others because they are Christians...these people are everywhere and sadly, they are the biggest evidence agaisnt Christianity...

QUOTE]

Thats completely inaccurate..... You never come across Christians that hold a holier than thou attitude or think that they are better than others because they are Christians...these people are everywhere and sadly, they are the biggest evidence agaisnt Christianity...

It's one thing to act like that.

But I'm talking about a Christian who think's he is self righteous without Jesus and what He did on the cross.

Maybe I should have used the term "judgmental"?

Of course it is true that there are times one should judge. But some people do a heck of a lot more of it than others, and often about things that are really not their business. And some of those people are admonished by their own holy book not to do so.

Ouch - I have to go - I have a Beam in my eye that I have to get rid of. :)

Yeah a lot of people judge more than they should.

Without looking at the context, I would say you can't buy your way into heaven.

Context? Great idea... Thanks.

Matthew 19:23-26

23Then Jesus said to his disciples, "I tell you the truth, it is hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven. 24Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God."

25When the disciples heard this, they were greatly astonished and asked, "Who then can be saved?"

26Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."

Sure sounds a bit different when context is given...

"WE WALK BY FAITH NOT BY SIGHT."

I know Dr. Price loves saying this but where does it say this again......Corinthians? ;)

2 Corinthians 5:7

Ezekiel 25:17

The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

Ezekiel 25:17

The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

That's not Eze. 25:17 that's Pulp Fiction. :laugh:

It's impossible to say that one or another is my "favorite". Things change depending on the situations you're dealing with at a given time. Recently, this is one that has been on my mind:

"Whoever acknowledges me before men, I will also acknowledge him before my Father in heaven. But whoever disowns me before men, I will disown him before my Father in heaven."

Woe to you o earth and sea

for the devil sends the beast with wrath

because he knows the time is short

Let he who hath understanding

reckon the number of the beast

for it is a human number

it's number is six hundred and sixty six.

somehow i knew that this thread wouldn't go un-hijacked. :doh:

can't believe no one's said john 3:16.....but that's probably already etched into your notes, right kb?

Don't you have some goats to tend you sir? :cool:

P.S.~ Everyone already knew to skip the one's I've had in my sig:D

Archived