Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

~Your Favorite Bible Scriptures~

Coach Williams

Great thread! My favorite:

“Love others as I have loved you. Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you.” (Matt 5:4).

along the same lines:

( LEV:19:17 ) ¶ Thou shalt not hate thy brother in thine heart: thou shalt in any wise rebuke thy neighbor, and not suffer sin upon him.

( LEV 19:18 ) Thou shalt not avenge, nor bear any grudge against the children of thy people, but thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself: I am the LORD.

I think many here know that I tend to side with science in the science versus religion debates, but I don't deny the wisdom to be found in the Bible, and the compelling verse if nothing else.

"For the foolishness of God is wiser than men; and the weakness of God is stronger than men."

-1 Corinthians 1:25

"Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called the children of God."

-Matthew 5:9

Heres a verse i like to remind myself of and to share the gospel through, because it mentions christ's death for our sins and his righteousness for us and the reconciliation he accomplished for us.

"For Christ died for sins once for all, the righteous for the unrighteous, to bring you to God..." 1Peter 3:18

and another good one

"He himself bore our sins in his body on the tree, so that we might die to sins and live to righteousness; by his wounds you have been healed." 1Peter 2:25

I really like these how they show what our response to the gospel should be, to no longer live for ourselves but for God, who ransomed us for Himself.

"You were bought at a price therefore honor God with your bodies" 1Cor 6:20

"For Christ's love compels us, because we are convinced that one died for all, and therefore all died. And he died for all, that those who live should no longer live for themselves but for him who died for them and was raised again." 2 Cor 5:14-15

Numbers: Chapter 31

The following verses clearly instruct the people to KILL CHILDREN.

A Merciful God?

15 - And Moses said unto them, Have ye saved all the women alive?

16 - Behold, these caused the children of Israel, through the counsel of Balaam, to commit trespass against the Lord in the matter of Peor, and there was a plague among the congregation of the Lord.

17 - Now therefore kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman that hath known man by lying with him.

18 - But all the women children, that have not known a man by lying with him, keep alive for yourselves.

Apparently the Midianites were beyond saving. Except for the young virgins. ;)

"And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made

perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, innecessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong."

2 Corinthians 12:9-10

the importance of friends:

"Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their work; If one falls down, his friend can help him up. But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up! Also, if two lie down together, the will keep warm. But how can one keep warm alone? Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken." Eccl 4:9-12

I don't have my Bible with me so this is just a quote from memory:

All things work together for good to them that love the Lord and are the called according to His purpose. Romans 8:28

It helps me deal with the bad times in life by reminding me that no matter how bad things may seem now, somehow the Lord is going to cause good to come of it.

my favorite is talking about when this old world comes to an end and we are in heaven:

Revelation 21

4And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

Jeremiah 29:11

It brings me comfort when i am going through those tough times

I think many here know that I tend to side with science in the science versus religion debates, but I don't deny the wisdom to be found in the Bible, and the compelling verse if nothing else.

"For the foolishness of God is wiser than men; and the weakness of God is stronger than men."

-1 Corinthians 1:25

"Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called the children of God."

-Matthew 5:9

I think we need to look at science and religion more so as a whole and juxtapose the two. You will be amazed that the two "entities" are interchangeable and not foreign to one another. Nothing in the bible contradicts science, and nothing in science contradicts the bible, only people's supposed "theories".

That being said, my favorite quote is:

But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day. II Peter 3:8

GC

I think we need to look at science and religion more so as a whole and juxtapose the two. You will be amazed that the two "entities" are interchangeable and not foreign to one another. Nothing in the bible contradicts science, and nothing in science contradicts the bible, only people's supposed "theories".

That being said, my favorite quote is:

But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day. II Peter 3:8

GC

aka... the speed of light 1 x 1000

Science and religion operate from two very different frames of mind, at least when you're talking about pure science. Religion is teleological. In other words, we're headed in a particular direction, and there is some sort of a goal or objective we are working toward. Man is the result of evolution (or creation, take your pick) not a chance occurence.

Science, on the other hand, isn't interested in goals or eventualities. It doesn't set out to prove anything pre-determined, and accepts only what it can demonstrate repeatedly through experimentation. It observes objectively. If science one day finds God, that's wonderful, but it isn't and shouldn't be trying to. Likewise, it doesn't attempt to disprove the existence of God. Claims that science is the enemy of religion are baseless, unless religious types are afraid of people discovering the truth. ;)

[/hijack]

GC4C, it sounds like you have some interesting thoughts on the issue, and if you want to continue this conversation via PM I'm more than happy to do so. However, I think that we should avoid dragging a worthwhile thread into territories we've all tread dozens of times before.

-----

And to stay on topic, two from Matthew 19.

"Love thy neighbor as thyself."

-Matthew 19:19

"And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God."

-Matthew 19:24

"And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God."

-Matthew 19:24

If you take that verse for face value, then you would think that all rich people would not make the kingdom of God.

But that's simply not true.

You can see this with Job and how God blessed Job and King Solomon who were greatly blessed with riches.

You have proverbs 3, etc.

So what does it mean?

Without looking at the context, I would say you can't buy your way into heaven.

Archived