Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN.com Power Rankings Skins are behind Dallas, Cinci, and Miami

The Full Monty

keep in mind that the cowboys are also getting healthier. they had 3 starters out for most of the season last year yet finished 9-7. they have on-paper (much like the redskins) have upgraded.

like a lot of people are saying, games have to still be played.

Their o-line is still mediocre. You can have T.O. open but if that running game is inconsistent like it was last year and you have, well, who the hell is blocking for Drew these days? Besides Al Johnson, who was never that good and is forever trying to get stronger? I'll believe it when I see it. Who's at tackle? A still recovering Flozell Adams, one year removed from a torn ACL that everybody says it takes 2 years to get back to top form? And Adams may have to watch more than just the DE since Dallas has a weakling at LG replacing Larry Allen. Rivera's only a year older and this line is supposed to keep a statue upright for the whole year and pave the way for the brittle Julius Jones or Marion Barber? Dallas made a huge mistake not drafting better lineman, but whatever, its their mistake. Oh, and that secondary is still soft in coverage, I'll say it again, they will get beat deep with regularity this season. No legitimate free safety.

The most overrated team in the league.

Man, I just can't wait for the season to start. Let the cowboys have their time in the sun, so what if people think they're gonna be good, you know they wont be better than us. I also can't wait to see the soap opera season that will become the Cowboys 06-07. I just can't wait to be among the people (you guys) that isn't surprised at all when we:

a) Shut down the Cowboys twice again this coming year

B) Win the division and make it to the playoffs

and

c) Have a great showing in the postseason.

I don't have a big problem with the Skins being at #10' date=' but as others have said, Dallas at #7 is completely absurd. They may have improved (on paper), but not enough. They should probably be somewhere below the Giants too.[/quote']

Agreed. The Giants, while still questionable in the secondary, have a maturing QB who's only getting better, and a legitimate, hard-running and still elusive Tiki Barber who I think unfortunately still has another great year left in him, to go along with a great defensive line and linebackers.

They're much better than Dallas. But still not as good as us.

The Cowboys don't deserve to be #7, but as some on this thread have said, the rankings don't mean jack. It's just one man's opinion, and there are very few opinions that aren't biased. It'll be settled on the field.

Yet I feel compelled to explain why Dallas shouldn't be anywhere near #7. They have new starters on an offensive line that is suppose to protect a quarterback who NEEDS not above average, but good pass protection to be effective. The starters they added, have questionmarks and could possibly be no better than the players they're replacing. Not to mention they will have to deal with building line chemistry as each lineman gets used to the way his teammate beside him plays. You can expect that OL to not run at it's peak until possibly mid-season, and that is IF they stay healthy. They have too many important players with injury issues.

TO is a huge big play threat, everyone knows that, but if Bledsoe is consistently pressured due to OL woes, his effectiveness will be diminished. Furthermore, Dallas fans are expecting the type of impact that Owens had on the Eagles offense. Yet pay little attention to the fact that the Eagles essentially ignored running the ball the last two seasons, which bolstered Owens' stats, and Parcell's offense will look nothing like that. Owens will see less passes thrown his way. TO's behavior problems started in San Fran because of.....Owens not getting the ball as much as he wanted. People who think this situation doesn't have a good chance of blowing up are deluding themselves.

On defense, Ferguson at NT is merely serviceable and nothing more. They lost Glover, but in this defense, he wasn't as valuable as he once was. No one along the DL is a blue chipper for this type of defense. The LBs are great. Yet they still have a huge gaping hole at FS, and Roy Williams' coverage skills leave alot to be desired. Newman is really good, so is Henry, but Aaron Glenn is another year older and at his age you never know how fast or how much a player's skills will decline. I've heard alot of Cowboys fans say Pat Watkins will be their starter at FS, and I laugh, because Watkins was a fifth round pick. And if he was capable of being a starter at a high level as a rookie, standing 6'5" and with good speed, he would've been a first round draft pick. Their is too much wishful thinking there, just the same as too many Skins fans here think WLB won't potentially be a problem for us.

For a team to really deserve to be ranked in the Top 7 teams in the league, you need to have a serious gamechanging type of player in multiple positions. Dallas only has one, Owens. Bledsoe? Hasn't made the playoffs in HOW long? Julius Jones? Can't stay healthy and when healthy, hasn't shown to be close to one of the best in the league. Glenn? Fragile and unwilling to be effective in any other way except as a deep threat and good on out routes.

A whole lot will have to go right for the Cowboys to win out in the East this season.

I'm going to speak a bit logically here:

1) Cowboy ranking is absurd... Few would disagree.

Absurd?????

You go to the ESPN link and rank the teams yourself. From the votes coming from all across the country, the cowboys were ranked 8th.

So what your telliing me is 7 ESPN football writers were polled, came up with the cowboys at #7, then God knows how many thousands of people from across the country were polled and put the cowboys at #8...............but most of the members on a redskin board think it to be way too high? And you specifically claim it to be "absurd"???????????

C'mon, open your eyes here people. Is your hatred for the boys so deep that you can't even see straight?

Whats more logical? They are a top 10 team in the NFL so says the oddsmakers in vegas, The NFL writers at ESPN, and the NFL fans across the country..................or a bunch of bitter, ticked off redskin fans on ES????

The choice is clear....

I was talking to a buddy of mine last night who is a Pats fan and has no NFCE bias........His opinion is that it's basically between the Skins and the Giants, Dallas is over-hyped and will self destruct and be .500 at best, and the Eagles will be last again. I pretty much agree with him.

Many of the "experts" believe TO will behave in his first year....If they are winning, yeah maybe...but not if (when) they are struggling for a few games. When that happens, all hell will break loose.

Although I believe the Skins are better, the G-men are the defending division champs, and both teams QB's have a good supporting cast, but ultimately the team's success will hinge upon their performance. Basically, can Brunell keep it up and can Ellie (hee hee) step it up and continue to improve? My money's on the veteran......remember that this will be the O-line's third year under Bugel and they all played together most of last year, which means the chemistry is there. They will keep Mark upright.

:dallasuck :gaintsuck :eaglesuck

Absurd?????

You go to the ESPN link and rank the teams yourself. From the votes coming from all across the country, the cowboys were ranked 8th.

So what your telliing me is 7 ESPN football writers were polled, came up with the cowboys at #7, then God knows how many thousands of people from across the country were polled and put the cowboys at #8...............but most of the members on a redskin board think it to be way too high? And you specifically claim it to be "absurd"???????????

C'mon, open your eyes here people. Is your hatred for the boys so deep that you can't even see straight?

Whats more logical? They are a top 10 team in the NFL so says the oddsmakers in vegas, The NFL writers at ESPN, and the NFL fans across the country..................or a bunch of bitter, ticked off redskin fans on ES????

The choice is clear....

Find a similar poll from last year. I bet playoff teams were near the bottom and teams that were expected to be good, but tanked were ranked high. These things mean absolutely nothing.

In addition, the Cowboys are media darlings. You can't turn on anything about the NFL without them gushing about Parcells and the Cowboys and how TO was a great addition. (We'll see) People in general are sheep and will follow along with what they are told.

I have to talk to a lot of people outside of my office.. I can't talk to anyone in my office because majority of the people in my office is cowpuke fans go figure.

But anyway, a lot of other people calling it right down the middle Skins and Giants a lot of people outside of Cowboy fans do not believe all the hype about the Cowboys . There is a couple of people even threw the Eagles in the mix which I have said myself could be the dark horse in the division especially if McNabb is 100% healthy and if they can get any type of resemblance of running game going. Dallas has always been the sexy pick among so call experts. When it doesn't go the way they all think it should with Dallas then come all the lame excuses. When the truth is that this team is not much better than they were last year yes, they picked up TO who is a game changer but you did not address your needs OL and questionable secondary. So on paper Yes, I guess they are the pick. But the league does not pass out the lombardi to paper champions remember that delusional cowboy fans.

Anyone listen to Colin Cowherd today? He went through the top ten of this list and said that sometimes the writers at ESPN get a little loopy when making this poll.

He said the Cowboys @ #7 was too high, the Skins @ #10 was too high and that the Patriots should be #1.

I found myself yelling at the radio: " The Pats @ #1 based on what??!!"

Talk about being out there...............

Here are the preseason power ranking from the '05 season:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/powerranking?season=2005&week=1

Here are the week 17 power rankings of the '05 season:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/powerranking?week=18&season=2005

Power rankings are meaningless, worthlessness at best. Its all opinion and heresay. The proof was in the pudding. Anyone remember "5 in a row or we dont go". We ended last season with that intensity and I feel we will start this season with that same mentality. Gibbs has done wonders for this teams morale. God bless him!

Anyone listen to Colin Cowherd today? He went through the top ten of this list and said that sometimes the writers at ESPN get a little loopy when making this poll.

He said the Cowboys @ #7 was too high, the Skins @ #10 was too high and that the Patriots should be #1.

I found myself yelling at the radio: " The Pats @ #1 based on what??!!"

Talk about being out there...............

Colin Cowherd is a big Patriots homer.

The Cowboys don't deserve to be #7, but as some on this thread have said, the rankings don't mean jack. It's just one man's opinion, and there are very few opinions that aren't biased. It'll be settled on the field.

Yet I feel compelled to explain why Dallas shouldn't be anywhere near #7. They have new starters on an offensive line that is suppose to protect a quarterback who NEEDS not above average, but good pass protection to be effective. The starters they added, have questionmarks and could possibly be no better than the players they're replacing. Not to mention they will have to deal with building line chemistry as each lineman gets used to the way his teammate beside him plays. You can expect that OL to not run at it's peak until possibly mid-season, and that is IF they stay healthy. They have too many important players with injury issues.

TO is a huge big play threat, everyone knows that, but if Bledsoe is consistently pressured due to OL woes, his effectiveness will be diminished. Furthermore, Dallas fans are expecting the type of impact that Owens had on the Eagles offense. Yet pay little attention to the fact that the Eagles essentially ignored running the ball the last two seasons, which bolstered Owens' stats, and Parcell's offense will look nothing like that. Owens will see less passes thrown his way. TO's behavior problems started in San Fran because of.....Owens not getting the ball as much as he wanted. People who think this situation doesn't have a good chance of blowing up are deluding themselves.

On defense, Ferguson at NT is merely serviceable and nothing more. They lost Glover, but in this defense, he wasn't as valuable as he once was. No one along the DL is a blue chipper for this type of defense. The LBs are great. Yet they still have a huge gaping hole at FS, and Roy Williams' coverage skills leave alot to be desired. Newman is really good, so is Henry, but Aaron Glenn is another year older and at his age you never know how fast or how much a player's skills will decline. I've heard alot of Cowboys fans say Pat Watkins will be their starter at FS, and I laugh, because Watkins was a fifth round pick. And if he was capable of being a starter at a high level as a rookie, standing 6'5" and with good speed, he would've been a first round draft pick. Their is too much wishful thinking there, just the same as too many Skins fans here think WLB won't potentially be a problem for us.

For a team to really deserve to be ranked in the Top 7 teams in the league, you need to have a serious gamechanging type of player in multiple positions. Dallas only has one, Owens. Bledsoe? Hasn't made the playoffs in HOW long? Julius Jones? Can't stay healthy and when healthy, hasn't shown to be close to one of the best in the league. Glenn? Fragile and unwilling to be effective in any other way except as a deep threat and good on out routes.

A whole lot will have to go right for the Cowboys to win out in the East this season.

We're in total agreement on that.

To co-opt James Carville's '92 campaign slogan, It's the O-line and RB and secondary stupid!

ok i havent read nor WILL I read an article as stupid as this. there is no way that with the aquisition of one player could dallas have elevated their talent considering they lost to us 2x last year and we have added more quality players than they have. the dolphins? dont make me laugh. they have been underachievers at best!! Cinci on the other hand i dont feel should be ranked above us but at least they deserve to be mentioned in the same breath. say what you want about cinci...... yall are closer to them than i am down here..... but Marvin Lewis has done an outstanding job with them and will take them far .... just watch. i eat sleep and dream burgundy and gold.... but give the devil his due... marvin can motivate dog ****....

Doesn't really matter about rankings. This isn't the freakin NCAA. Wins and Losses are all that matter in the Pros. Don't really care where they rank us or predict us. Championships are won on the field, not on paper. We've been paper champs too long. time to prove it between the hashes.

correction: few on this board would disagree.

Actually, I know quite a few life-long Cowboy fans who also disagree. It is absurd because the Cowboys took an area that wasn't weak and inserted a great player who has a history of being a team cancer. I agree that TO will make a difference, but not as much of a difference as if the Cowboys had added higher quality players along the offensive line (an area of weakness last year). Jason Fabini is an upgrade from what they had, but he's 31 and the only thing remarkable about him is that he's a Parcell's guy. They should've looked at adding O-lineman higher in the draft.

the cowboys are counting on TO but they also are counting on TO's domino effect. Where KJ didn't demand double teams, TO does, which will force the defense to not solely focus on Glenn as a deep threat WR but to also have to account for TO. this either opens up Glenn more often or helps witten and fasano.

imagine if the skins had Randel El and Lloyd and take moss out. how do you think defenses would react and prepare for the offense. Now insert Moss, it changes a lot. its not necessarily what Moss can do by himself, its how it effects and helps everyone else.

The biggest problem that I have with your reasoning is that you say, "The cowboys are counting on TO..."

The Redskins improved in a number of areas during the offseason and added a great offensive coordinator... The cowboys didn't add enough to overcome 2 defeats last year. That is why this is absurd, and those who disagree are likely chugging cowboy koolaid.

keep in mind that the cowboys are also getting healthier. they had 3 starters out for most of the season last year yet finished 9-7. they have on-paper (much like the redskins) have upgraded.

like a lot of people are saying, games have to still be played.

Actually, I was one of the many who said this and you chose to ignore many of my most salient points and argue the one point that really didn't need arguing. The Cowboys are the ones who have to prove it on the field this year... The Redskins have to prove it on the field versus the AFC, not versus the Cowboys.

Sometimes, taking off the B&G homer glasses are for the best..

The Redskins were 10-6 last year.. the Dolphins were 9-7 with Gus Frerotte at the helm. Is Culpepper an upgrade over Gus? That answer should be an undisputed, yes. Dante has his "Randy Moss" in Chris Chambers and he also has a really good catching TE in Randy McMichael as well as picking up Dante's former teamate in Minny--Kelly Campbell via '06 FA.

I also read some people comparing the Dolphins to the Arizona Cardinals of last year... Naturally, nobody knows how the Dolphins will pan out this year but, they were 9-7 with a shaky QB position.. the Cards were 6-10 in '04 with nearly every position being shaky.

I do however, agree with the fact of putting the Dolphins ahead of the Redskins is simply comical. Both teams have upgraded and should see a lot of success in '06, no doubt but, the Skins have in fact improved in just about every position whereas the Phins mainly upgraded the WR and QB position. I am not completely sold on Ronnie Brown just yet and we all know about Ricky Williams... Their running game needs work IMO before they would be a serious threat in the AFC.

Archived