Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN.com Power Rankings Skins are behind Dallas, Cinci, and Miami

The Full Monty

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/powerranking?season=2006&week=0

Merge or delete if posted already.

But how in hell are Dallas, Miami, and Cinci better than us?

Dallas' mediocre running game, secondary, and weak o-line, Miami is unsettled at QB with only 1 WR worth a damn, and Carson Palmer will either be rusty or inactive to go with a mediocre defense, I ask you, are they trying to be idiots?

You know what, it's just more motivation. That's all.

We swept Dallas and somehow a cancer makes them better than us from an offseason standpoint? Get real. From now on any power ranking with Dallas ahead of the Skins is garbage.

I love it, polls are like "a--holes", everybody has one !!

It's the final poll that counts !!

Nothing new...at least they have the Skins over the Giants and Iggles. I am not much for preseason rankings, other than to give me something to b!tch about...
Calm down, keep your cool and let all these pre-season predictors make fools of themselves !!

I find it very funny that all the top teams in this power ranking have big "ifs". Like if the queen had balls, she'd be King. If is the biggest of the little words. Pure nonsense.

If I had a million dollars...

It allows the analysts to make assanine predictions and not look like complete idiots because they had copouts in their predictions - "I said IF they played like a super bowl caliber team..."

I think thats the perfect position for the skins to be in i think they were ranked last year on espn.com at like 24th or something aweful like that its just fires the fuel to win now!!!
I agree with you, it gives us more incentive!!

This is what they said about the Jets:

Am I stupid here or did Ramsey AND Pennington not start week one last year? That sums up the whole rankings, screw all 7 of the tards who made them.

Last time I checked football is a team sport, picking up TO doesn't make their TEAM any better. The Seahawks lost their pro-bowl lineman and big target reciever yet they are number one?

All of these quotes and predictions come from "idiots" who have never played the game and thrive on controversy !!

Dallas addition of the 33 year old Owens is hardly a move that is going to vault them over the Giants and the Redskins. By the end of last season the Redskins were a demonstrably better team than Dallas, as the second game between the clubs showed.

The addition of Owens, which is the only move consistently mentioned by the media for Dallas (even though the team picked up some interesting players in the draft), does not by itself counterbalance all the solid moves made by the Redskins in the offseason.

Bengals should be ahead of us in pre-season. They are the much sexier pick, nationally, if your a member of the media. A young, rising star, possible future face of the league in Palmer, everybody watches Bengal highlights to see what CJ is going to do next in the end zone. The WR corp with his is really solid as well. The D forces a lot of turnovers (O'niel is an INT machine) and their D also has a lot of young talent: Thurman, Pollack.

Miami also deserves credit. They ended the season winning 6 in a row or 6 of 7 i think, and that was without a QB. Another year under Sabin, and the Pats getting worse, and they have a legit shot at the AFC Least. But they do not deserve to be ahead of us.

I agree that Dallas has no right to be up there, but it is the sexy media pick because the media seems to think we enjoy hearing news about T.O.

However, I think we do belong in the 7 or 8 slot. We still have a lot to prove. The run we made at the end of the year to make the playoffs wasn't against any tough teams that had much to play for. On paper it looks like our entire team is peaking at the right time.... except for QB, where we are at an inbetween phase of MB fading out and JC not quite ready to take control, and certainly not capable of going deep into the playoffs this year. CP is a work horse, but I hope we start using Betts more so that he can last longer. The new WR corp sounds great. I was a HUGE fan of BL since he made an unbelievable sideline catch against the seahawks about 3 years ago ( i swear he was almost completly horizontal). However, we do lack a big sized possession WR, and i love cooley, but he isnt as big as tony G, so I'm not sure if cooley will put up the #s like gonzalez did. O-line. The bookend tackle era of Jansen and Samuels has already seen its best years, I think Thomas is awseome, Rabach is solid, and I actually look for Dockery to step up huge this year. D-Line is where people on this site overrate our team so much. If Andre Carter is our big name guy on the DL, then we are not going to strike the fear of God into any opposing OCs. Granted i am a big fan of Joe S, and Ced Griff, and of what Phillip Daniels did in the 2nd half of the season, I am not sure if it can be repeated. Rocky at WLB is another question mark, and if he isnt starting then its a bigger one. We gave up way to much value to take him there, trade up 2 more slots we land Demeco Ryans, who did take a trip to redskins park before the draft, and one more slot and we land DQ Jackson, which meant we could have bumped marshall back to where he belongs, but that is another thread. obvi marcus is SICK. and I LOVE getting Kenny Wright, and Arch will prove as the two biggest upgrades. But we lacked overall speed in the secondary last year, and we probably lost a step. Overall when you look at our coaches and everything but Qb, this team is ready to win the superbowl (on paper, as usual). And I could cite instances where Brad JOhnson and Trent Dilfer have won rings, even big ben isnt that great. BUT is our D as good as those bucs, ravens and steeler Ds? no. But the rest of our O is better than what those teams had. If we do win it all, I think it will be like the Mark Rypien team, A level D, A level O, great coaching, and a B(-) QB.

Sorry it was my first post and I had a lot on my mind. Also i think Chris Clemons is waaaaay overrated on this website

The skins will prove them wrong again.. Gibbs teams do not get worse they get better these clowns need to check the track record. But, It really doesn't matter what they say because not one of them played a down of football a day in their lives. Dallas is overrated, overhype they just a mediocre team like they were last season.

Yeah that whole Cowboy thing is beyond me. :doh: It is amazing what adding a loud mouth cancer can do for your pre-season standings. It is all bull to me. :mad:

wow this place is full of Chameleons. few years ago the skins signed all the big mouth names, everyone here was ready to dust of the old trophy case and add another one to it. they were talking dynasty and discussions went on about how they have a chance to have a perfect season. it never stopped.

then fast forward to this off season.....oh how we change while wearing our colored glasses :2cents:

So one player makes you jump ahead of nine teams. That is rediculous! Even if Owens has 100 rec. for 1500 yds they still aren't going to be very good. The rest of the team just isn't that great.

thank you for that great indepth insight. :applause: :notworthy

I don't think ESPN realizes that if things play out according to those rankings, we would make the playoffs. Not only that, but we'd play the Bears, who are ranked lower than us.

That means they think we'd go to the 2nd round of the playoffs before we get knocked out by the Seahawks/Panthers, which is exactly how far they project their beloved Cowboys to go.

wow this place is full of Chameleons. few years ago the skins signed all the big mouth names, everyone here was ready to dust of the old trophy case and add another one to it. they were talking dynasty and discussions went on about how they have a chance to have a perfect season. it never stopped.

then fast forward to this off season.....oh how we change while wearing our colored glasses :2cents:

We've never had a player as bad as Owens, not even Neon.

I'm going to speak a bit logically here:

1) Cowboy ranking is absurd... Few would disagree.

2) Cincy being ranked ahead of us isn't absurd... They will drop if Carson Palmer's knee isn't ready for the season. Bottom Line: Cincy is one of the better AFC teams. What AFC team did we actually defeat last year? We have to prove we can play with these guys on the field before we deserve respect. Real question: Why are we ranked ahead of Jacksonville? They went 12-4 last year in the AFC and had erratic play at QB all year.

3) Dolphins went 9-7 last year and won their last 6 games of the season. They had Frerotte and Rosenfels as their QBs last year, and now they have Culpeper (appearing to be healthier than expected). Saban seems to be assembling a team that can compete for a championship and Ronnie Brown isn't a rookie anymore.

Summary: It's not a big deal to be ranked behind two very good teams at this point in the season. It just shows that we have some things to prove. Dallas is insanely overrated... Maybe they are counting on TO making them that much better (when WR wasn't even their weak link last year).

Miami in 2006 is Arizona in 2005. All hype, baby. All hype.

You guys kill me with giving no respect to anyone except yourselves. Miami ended the season on a 6 game winning streak in the regular season. You guys ended with a 5 game winning streak in the regular season, 6-1 counting the playoffs.

You all constantly scream (and I'm not calling you out specifically MRMADD), that you get no respect, but you guys are dissing the dolphins for doing exactly what you guys did. Get real.

They are only ranked 2 spots higher than you too. They added a real quarterback, like Dante or not, he is worlds better than what they had down there. Thats why they are getting some respect in the media.

Same as dallas. We added arguably the best reciever in the game, same with a kicker, so they get respect. Simple as that.

Now none of these rankings are worth the paper they're printed on, but you are all hypocritical to blast miami for ending with a 6 game winning streak, but in the very same sentance complain about not getting any respect for how you finished.

Are you all blinded by homerism that you can't see this?

I'm going to speak a bit logically here:

1) Cowboy ranking is absurd... Few would disagree.

correction: few on this board would disagree.

2) Cincy being ranked ahead of us isn't absurd... They will drop if Carson Palmer's knee isn't ready for the season. Bottom Line: Cincy is one of the better AFC teams. What AFC team did we actually defeat last year? We have to prove we can play with these guys on the field before we deserve respect. Real question: Why are we ranked ahead of Jacksonville? They went 12-4 last year in the AFC and had erratic play at QB all year.

3) Dolphins went 9-7 last year and won their last 6 games of the season. They had Frerotte and Rosenfels as their QBs last year, and now they have Culpeper (appearing to be healthier than expected). Saban seems to be assembling a team that can compete for a championship and Ronnie Brown isn't a rookie anymore.

Summary: It's not a big deal to be ranked behind two very good teams at this point in the season. It just shows that we have some things to prove. Dallas is insanely overrated... Maybe they are counting on TO making them that much better (when WR wasn't even their weak link last year).

the cowboys are counting on TO but they also are counting on TO's domino effect. Where KJ didn't demand double teams, TO does, which will force the defense to not solely focus on Glenn as a deep threat WR but to also have to account for TO. this either opens up Glenn more often or helps witten and fasano.

imagine if the skins had Randel El and Lloyd and take moss out. how do you think defenses would react and prepare for the offense. Now insert Moss, it changes a lot. its not necessarily what Moss can do by himself, its how it effects and helps everyone else.

keep in mind that the cowboys are also getting healthier. they had 3 starters out for most of the season last year yet finished 9-7. they have on-paper (much like the redskins) have upgraded.

like a lot of people are saying, games have to still be played.

Archived