Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

D. Green vs S. Moss or S. Smith

Walking Deadman

I heard ol' #28 on Czaban yesterday and talks of his eligibility for the HOF.

THis made me think about the current successful style of WR in the NFL (shorter,faster) and made me think of this "dream" matchup.

D. Green in his prime vs a speedster like Santana Moss

or vs Steve Smith.

Just would be an interesting matchup speed vs speed.........

Your thoughts

That would be a nice match up. The thing is would the old hands on rule be implemented or todays rules where you damn near can't get physical at all.

I could be wrong, but I don't think Smith and Moss could've been as effective in the old days as they are today. WR's back then were almost mauled at the live od scrimmage.

DG took out speed receivers, partly because he was always faster than them and that took away their primary advantage. I think he would have been great against them. The only guys he had problems with were the really big receivers who could push off. The quick and the fast guys Green closed down. Even in his late thirties, Green matched up with Randy Moss and shut him down.

Green would dominate. Come on! Its freaking Darrel Green. If he walked on water, none of us would be suprised

Heck, I told my wife today that if he wanted to, he could easily still play in the NFL as a nickle or dime DB IMO.

BTW: Apparently DG's son (a WR) is getting looked at by some local colleges (VTech, Umaryland, WVU) and may be coming to a stadium near you one day

Heck, I told my wife today that if he wanted to, he could easily still play in the NFL as a nickle or dime DB IMO.

BTW: Apparently DG's son (a WR) is getting looked at by some local colleges (VTech, Umaryland, WVU) and may be coming to a stadium near you one day

Do you know his sons name?

It's too hard to compare because they play in a different era, rules wise. I do agree with those who say he would have negated their speed with his own. I also think Darrell would have won those matches because he had another quality that gets overlooked. Darrell was pesky. He always was with a receiver on the route after the QB released the ball. That takes away from a receiver’s ability to adjust to the ball because he would be tipping Darrell off to the balls location. Did I mention Darrell had hops that were out of this world. He tried to take balls that were still at the highest point in the air. No jump-balls on D. Green! Santana mentioned his greatest asset is not his speed, he said it is his ability to adjust to any ball thrown his direction without breaking his stride.

Even in his late thirties, Green matched up with Randy Moss and shut him down.

I wish people would stop saying this because it wasn't true. Green got a pass interference call on a long bomb that lead to an easy 1 yard TD for the Vikes. Green jumped on Moss' back as his only way of stopping the TD.

If we don't count penalties, yes Darrell did shut down Moss. If we don't count penalties we might as well put Chris Dishman in the Hall of Fame right now.

Under current rules, the advantage normally goes to the offensive player. We've already established that speed guys wouldn't beat Green in his prime. As much as I love Moss and respect Smith, I think Green would be able to generally shut either down. I'm sure that any catches they made against him would be hard-earned, and I can't see them burning him at any time.

I wish people would stop saying this because it wasn't true. Green got a pass interference call on a long bomb that lead to an easy 1 yard TD for the Vikes. Green jumped on Moss' back as his only way of stopping the TD.

If we don't count penalties, yes Darrell did shut down Moss. If we don't count penalties we might as well put Chris Dishman in the Hall of Fame right now.

Wow. Talk about some revisionist history. D. Green played one of his best games against Randy Moss. Moss mentions Green as one of those guys who could in fact, cover him.

The only guys he had problems with were the really big receivers who could push off.

*cough* Irvin *cough*

D-Green was the man. He was a freak of nature - he was over 40 when he called it quits...and still could have started for several teams in the league.

Wow. Talk about some revisionist history. D. Green played one of his best games against Randy Moss. Moss mentions Green as one of those guys who could in fact, cover him.

Everything I stated about Green covering Moss is 100% fact. How you can possibly call it revisionist history completely amazes me. You didn't dispute any fact that I stated. Tell me how I am wrong and I will gladly listen.

Dude...why are you hating on Dishman? He was one of the few CBs in the league back in 96-97 who could give back all the down-field violence that WRs like Irvin were so famous for. I remember back in 97 when he was a Skin he certainly held his own vs Irvin. It was only in 98 after the reinterpretation of the PI rules that he became useless.

How does it not bring a tear to your eye remembering Irvin getting mauled by Dishman during the 97 season and the refs letting it go??

Dishman and Green '97 were my favorite Skins DB combo

It used to be that defensive backs would maul receivers coming off the line. Offenses countered by finding bigger WRs. Then defenses found bigger DBs. Then the NFL thought, "Hey, who wants to watch a wrestling match downfield instead of the long ball?" and changed the rules to reduce the man-handling. Offenses switched back to tiny fast receivers, and defenses are switching back to tiny fast defenders.

Darrell Green, however, was never a physical corner. He'd be even better today than he was back then, because he's perfect for the modern game: he's lightning quick, and straight line faster than any receiver. If you can't touch, you want Darrell Green.

So the answer, obviously, is that Steve Smith would politely ask Darrell Green if he could carry his jockstrap for him.

Santana Moss would at least get one deep ball on Green. That guy can adjust to long balls so easily its ridiculous. Joe Gibbs even said that he has never seen anyone who can adjust to the long balls like Moss can.

This wouldn't happen. Can anyone remember a long bomb for a TD caught against Darrell? I'm sure there were a few, but none really come to mind. Yeah, sometimes he got beat, but it was rare indeed. He regularly SHUT DOWN the top WR of the other team.

I love Santana, but this would be his statistics against DG:

3 catches, 38 yards.

:notworthy

Archived